Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Oil change frequency?

Old 04-02-2008, 05:55 AM
murphstang

Default Oil change frequency?

Hi, I bought a 2008 Mustang GT (dark candy apple red, manual, leather parchment-colored interior, shaker 1000, GT appearance package)! I love the car and want to take great care of it. It currently has 2700 miles on it. When should I do the first oil change? After the first one, how often should I change it? The Ford website has the first one at 7500 miles but that seems like a lot. Also, then they say every 7500 miles. My rule of thumb has always been around 3000 miles.

I'd appreciate any advice!!!

Thanks,
Murphstang
Old 04-02-2008, 07:07 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Oil change frequency?

You know how to start a "battle" thread, don't you? You're going to get responses that range all over the board.

It all depends on your interpretation of all the oil analysis info out there. My rule of thumb, if using the Stang for "normal" street use:
[ul][*]If using dino oil: oil/filter change at 3-4k miles[*]If using synthetic blend: oil/filter change at 5-6k miles[*]If using full synthetic and "standard" filter (i.e., Motorcraft): oil change at 10-12k and filter change at 5-6k[*]If using full synthetic and Amsoil filter (as I do): oil/filter change at 10-12k[/ul]
For the first oil change, I'd do it at 3,000 miles, period.

I've had oil analysis training and have discussed this with "experts" (trained Tribologists) and I feel very comfortable with the above. Actually, I'd go longer on the Amsoil oil and filter but just can't bring myself to do it.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:43 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

+1 on Nuke's comments. I use Amsoil oil and filters and change @ 15K with a Blackstone Labs oil analysis on each change.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

7500 miles can't possibly be for the "severe driving" conditions - which actually represents the driving that many of us do as our normal driving. For example, lots of short trips is considered severe. 7500 miles is for mostly highway driving approximately at the posted speed limits, and not under dusty conditions.

I don't have my literature handy, so I'm not sure what the severe use interval is supposed to be (I'm guessing 3000-ish).

I know you're already past this point, but FWIW on any brand-new carI've always done a really early oil and filter change, at around 600 miles. I feel that it's best in the long run to get the greater portion of break-in debris (that happens during the first few hundred miles) completely out of your engine. Then Imostly follow the severe duty schedule due to my specific driving conditions. Worst case in terms of wasting oil - every 7 years or so I discard 4 - 6 quarts of still-usable oil.

Norm
Old 04-02-2008, 07:45 AM
murphstang

Thanks!!! Wasn't trying to start a battle! OK, I'll take it in for the first change at 3000.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:50 AM
murphstang

Oh, I only drive it around 6 miles every few days. I take road trips to really enjoy it.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I change my oil every 6 months, which is about 2,000 miles for me. I use only Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w20 and K&N filters.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:54 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I changed my oil the first time under 1000 miles and now do a 3000 miles interval.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

When all else fails, just do what the manual suggests. Mine is a weekend toy so I've only put about 3800 miles on it over the course of a year. I just changed the oil for the second time last weekend. For me its never about mileage but time.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:13 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

On full synthetic I change oil/filter every 5000 miles. I beleieve thats what it said on amsoil, that or 6k. Either way 5k is about as high as I feel comfortable with and have had zero problems

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil change frequency?