Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

First MUSTANG

Old 04-14-2005, 01:25 PM
CHUBBCHUBB

Default First MUSTANG

Time to get rid of my 1996 Explorer & buy the 2005 GT Deluxe Convertible. This will be my first Mustang. Any of you seasoned owners have advise. Things of concern are the soft tires that wear quickly.

So far : V8, Sonic Blue, Black top, Auto trans (wife..), aluminum rims, soft boot

Any advise will be greatly appreciated
Old 04-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default RE: First MUSTANG

Soft Tires?

How fast they wear, depends on how fast your going to drive the car , and how often you do burnouts!

But... it is a trade off. I have has several cars, of a varity of “classification” (Sport, Family, SUV, Etc!)

Soft tires grip the road, they are usually in the “Performance” group and in general terms are good for around 25k to 30k miles. The harder tires rated for 45/50k miles will last longer but they don’t grip the road nearly as good. I would highly NOT recommend 75/100k tires on a mustang. You would slip and slide all over the place with the HP of a GT, and trying to make fast corners would only have you finding yourself doing unplanned and unexpected 360's in the road.

You shouldn’t “concern” yourself with how many miles your going to get out of performance tires. Just plan ahead that you will need to replace them in 25k miles to be “safe”.

However - IF you keep off of the highway, stay slightly under the speed limit and obey all yellow speed signs on corners and stay at or slightly under those recommended speeds, Use absolute minimal breaking at all times, and never EVER do a hard take off or apply enough accelerator to torque the tires, AND do NOT under ANY circumstances – let your teenager drive it! - You can squeeze 40k miles out of performance tires. BUT.. if your going to drive like THAT, Why buy a mustang?
Old 04-14-2005, 04:23 PM
stang9325
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CHUBBCHUBB

Time to get rid of my 1996 Explorer & buy the 2005 GT Deluxe Convertible. This will be my first Mustang. Any of you seasoned owners have advise. Things of concern are the soft tires that wear quickly.

So far : V8, Cobalt Blue, Black top, Auto trans (wife..), aluminum rims, soft boot

Any advise will be greatly appreciated
Did you already order one? I'm not sure if its different with the vert but I was under the assumption that 05's were done for the year.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:45 PM
CHUBBCHUBB

Professor thanks for the advice, very much appreciated.

Stang9325: Been to 1 dealer down here (ALABAMA) and told me dozen GT convertibles are on the way to the lot.

What about the 5 speed auto transmission? or any other quarks with the new Mustang?

Old 04-14-2005, 08:09 PM
mark101

is it true that the 05 manual does 0-60 at the same time as the automatic 05 ??????

Old 04-20-2005, 10:27 PM
brainhud

i like the manual. really smooth. any advice on exhaust. stock sounds ok. would like it a little louder.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:55 AM
CHUBBCHUBB

Ok, I'm learning that just going to the dealer to get a Mustang is not just that simple. On average the dealers around here are only selling at or over MSRP. I'm sure I can get a deal in the Fall or Winter. Now I am wondering if my choice is best for me.

I like the convertible (has to have the automatic trans) but I am now undecided to get the V8 or V6. The Mustang will be used to drive my kids to school then work and hopefully nice drives to the beach on the weekends. I currently own a 1996 V8 Explorer. I figured get the V8 on the Explorer because the V6 seemed too under-powered. Is this true for the Mustang V6? I generally keep cars for 10 years then get another. My fear would be that I make my choice and regret it later. I'm no speed demon or motorhead. I think ,for the money, the Mustang offers the best looking 4 seater convertible on the market today.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:46 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

I hope they are small kids... that backseat was not meant to replace the minivan.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:05 PM
stanglife1

The V8 Verts are hard to find the V6 is everywhere.

I guess I belive if your going to buy a sports car why would you buy a V6??

Old 04-26-2005, 08:34 PM
Tinman05

ORIGINAL: stanglife

The V8 Verts are hard to find the V6 is everywhere.

I guess I belive if your going to buy a sports car why would you buy a V6??

Amen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First MUSTANG