Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rattling on rear right side

Old 04-05-2008, 10:43 AM
WFdeac11

Default Rattling on rear right side

A while ago I got an SLP xpipe and LM's. My dad said he'd help me install them (I like his help, but sometimes it's more hurtful than helpful). I put the LM's on and it sounded great, and then we started to put the xpipe on. Well... my dad's one of those guys that never reads directions, untill he messes up. He thought that the xpipe would replace the whole center exhaust, including the pipes that lead down to the axels. The first thing he did was try to take these off, and they're not supposed to come off. He ended up bending the pipe some trying to get it off, before he realized they weren't supposed to come off. Then when he read the part about having to mess with the sensors, he said we should just wait untill my warranty runs out, which won't be that much longer. When we put the mid pipes back together, everything looked fine and nothing was touching. Now when I go down the road there is an annoying rattling just on the rear right side, and this happens on bumpy roads, over speedbumps, and sometimes just while driving on flat road. I tried multiple multiple times to tighten every bolt under the car as tight as I could. Nothing seems to be even close to touching, and when I jerk it with my hand there is no rattling. I've even tried putting the stock axel's back on, but it made no difference. I figured the bend in the pipe may have angled the axels and made them grind on the back bumper, but I can't shake it with my hand. I also thought maybe the pipe was bouncing on the axel or something, but I can find nothing. The noise doesn't sound like anything in the pipe, although I'm obviously no pro. It sounds like metal smacking against metal. Any ideas guys? Will it possibly go away once I install the xpipe? Thanks for any input.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:35 AM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Rattling on rear right side

I had the same rattle on a set of Borla exhaust and my Zoomers as well. On both I had to cut about a half an inch off the rear most hanger (the stainless metal bar coming off your SLP Loudmouth exhaust). When you look at the system cold it may appear to have enough clearance and won't rattle. When the entire exhaust heats up the expansion can bring the hanger close enough to tap against the frame rail near it. It's a front to back motion that makes it rattle, not up and down. You may want to look at it on both sides and dremel a little off.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:35 PM
ndgoalie35
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Rattling on rear right side

I had the same problem on the back right side when I installed my loudmouths. Everytime I accelerated I would get a grinding sound. It ended up being the final hanger of the axle-backs. I torqued out the hanger on the loudmouth just a little bit and tightened everything back down and it went away.