Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

All Things Shorty Headers - brands, heat, cost, other . . .

Old 04-06-2008, 12:38 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

Default All Things Shorty Headers - brands, heat, cost, other . . .

I am in CA and am looking into shorty headers. I have reviewed all previous posts on this and will try not to reduplicate.

2 years down line, S/C, but for now, seeking the mid-range torque & hpgain for my DD. 3k-5.5k rpm is where I pretty much stay, and I understand shorty's will provide mid-range 10-12 rhp/rtq, particularly at 3.5k rpm. See http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...o_results.html
The BBK shorty's had good results (mid-range 10-12 rhp/rtq)with the headers, stock exhaust, CAI, tune, and BBK throttle body. Will I see similar or better results with my mods (CAI, CMD plates, Tune, UD pulleys, catted pipes, etc...)

I am wondering if it is necessary to purchase JBA (CARB legal) or if I could go with less costing BBK's. I don't think all smog shops here in CA are going to look for the CARB EO#, but I can't be sure. Performance wise they should be similar.

Also for a DD, does stainless v. ceramic really matter? I can see that it would make a big difference at the track, but how much heat will be generated while driving spiritedly on freeway and in mountains, or 70 mph to work? Is it worth the extra cost ($150-190)?

Is the heat soak from stainless steel shorties worse than stock manifolds?

What is a good/reasonable installation price? Should take a pro mechanic about 3 hours right?

If you run a paticular shorty, chime in with tidbits on ease of installation, SOUND, heat soak,coating preference, etc...

Also where can shorty's be purchased for best price?

Appreciate it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/91951/E7087FF0F783427E990D1843B8945050.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-06-2008, 03:53 PM
cdmsaleen

Default RE: All Things Shorty Headers - brands, heat, cost, other . . .

I also live in Calif. and considering shorty's as well. I spoke with one of the Vendors on this forum and was quoted approx. $1000.00 for the install alone. They said it was a very difficult install, the k member needed to be cut alittle bit and it took them around 10 hours to do on their display car. I have not gotten a 2nd opinion but I thought I would pass this along for what it is worth. I have a s/c and was told that the shorty's might not create enough back pressure to benefit the s/c (haven't confirmed that either).
Old 04-06-2008, 03:55 PM
yur1279
2nd Gear Member

That cost is BS. Long Tubes can even be installed in under 6 hours. Shorties should be even less time.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:58 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

hahaha.....i paid 350 for my ARH LT install......someone is feeding you BS out the wazooo!!
Old 04-06-2008, 04:05 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

And I paid $1,000 pesos or $90 dollars for Dynatechs LT's + X pype ... just go down to Mexico !

1K dlls is insanely stupid expensive for shortys install, heck even more expensive than a SC install.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:27 PM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

Don't know which "vendor" you spoke too, but stay away from them, they are blowing big-time smoke up your rear. $350+ for the shorties, install them yourself in about 6-8 hours, without cutting anything. Not enough back pressure for a S/C - what? Does this vendor mean to say that to run a S/C you have to keep the stock manifold??? Beware! And, for my future reference, who was this "vendor"?
Old 04-06-2008, 04:58 PM
MustangEsq
2nd Gear Member

I recentlyhad BBK ceramic shorties installed...took roughly 4 hours...

I got them from Brenspeed...I think the Ceramic is 100 more than raw stainless.

The heat generated from ANY header is immense...the cast iron stockers absorb much more than any header. The ceramic definitely helps alot.

Heat is the worst possible thing for an engine, it will drastically reduce it's life.

I love how guys are driving $30k cars, and consider $100 "too steep." Consider it cheap insurance.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Cjack2005

ORIGINAL: cdmsaleen

I also live in Calif. and considering shorty's as well. I spoke with one of the Vendors on this forum and was quoted approx. $1000.00 for the install alone. They said it was a very difficult install, the k member needed to be cut alittle bit and it took them around 10 hours to do on their display car. I have not gotten a 2nd opinion but I thought I would pass this along for what it is worth. I have a s/c and was told that the shorty's might not create enough back pressure to benefit the s/c (haven't confirmed that either).
Whoever is giving out a $1000 quote is charging $250 a hour for labor. I have done several sets of shorties at the house and none took over 4 hours. Stay far away from this A-hole who is trying to rip you off. And his s/c comment is total crap as well!
Old 04-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I have the JBAs and got them because they are smog legal in CA. Depending on your county in CA depends on how thorough the smog inspection will be. Some do visual and sniffer test, some just do sniffer. It varies per county. I would stay with the JBA for that reason.

It cost me $400 to get the shorties installed which is at the high end of the scale. There is no need to modify the K member or the steering shaft as there is plenty of cleerance. You will most likely need to get prothane motor mounts as the shorties leave 1/16" clearance on the passenger side framerail and during the hard left turns the motor will move enough to contact the frame rail causing a strange audible vibration. They should not charge any extra to put in the mounts for you since they have to lift the motor off the mounts anyway.

Get ceramic coated. These things put off alot of heat and the extra coating will keep it out of your engine bay.

The steel JBA uses is 1 gauge thicker than BBKs. When doing my research a few years ago I had 2 venders who sold both JBA and BBK tell me this.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:21 PM
laxplayer1028
2nd Gear Member

is there a list of which counties do which???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All Things Shorty Headers - brands, heat, cost, other . . .