Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Extremely high car insurance

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 03:07 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Extremely high car insurance

ORIGINAL: CataclysmGT

25 years old. $1250/year full coverage, no infractions ever.
I hate to see what they are going to ding me after I tell them of the $20,000 in parts I added (one being the evil supercharger!)
I'm keeping my $18,000 worth of aftermarket parts to myself. Three reasons:

1.) Despite what you may have heard, an insurance company cannot deny a claim because of performance parts not reported to the insurance company.

2.) If I'm ever in a non-fault accident, the other driver's insurance is responsible for my mods. They will try to deny it and give you bottom dollar, but lawyer up if necessary. You're aftermarket parts are covered under property damage in the other driver's liability limits.

3.) If I'm ever in an at-fault accident, then I have the right to remove whatever aftermarket parts are salvagable from my car before I turn it over to the insurance company, as long as I return the stock parts with the car. If some parts are not salvagable, then that's what I get for getting in an accident that's my own fault.

Also, my comprehive premium would shoot up 120% if I wanted to cover my aftermarket parts. (I looked into it.)
Old 04-09-2008, 12:15 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

21, Male, no speeding tickets on record, no at-fault accidents - $1875/Year for full coverage. But I have REALLY good credit and I get a student discount.

My Motorcycle insurance was only $22/month (liability only). Wish it could be around that price.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Whats up with all you guys and your "perfect records?" You drive a sports car, your supposed to get a speeding ticket every once in a while. JK. I'll pay 1,800 over this next year through USAA (government workers only) with no accidents, 23 years old, 1 speeding tickets on record and I am considered one of highest risk levels, Marines under the pay grade of E-7. There are so many guys that get back from Iraq and drive their $50,000 sports cars into a tree with a BAC level of .20 and higher that it ruins it for any other Marine that wants to have a sports car and drive sober all the time. I'm sure once I get out next x-mas my insurance will go down. O ya I live in Hawaii too where insurance is as expensive as every thing else. Nineinchnail: I told my insurance company about my 5K worth of mods and they didn't raise my premium at all, maybe you should call in pretending your someone else and see if it would be more expensive. I mean I have 3,000 rims and I live in the wheel stealing capital of the world, I thought they were going to raise it but all they told me to do was take pictures so if they do get stolen I have proof that I had them.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: dross

Hey guys I just bought a new 2008 Gt and AAA wants to charge me $3,200 a year for insurance!

I'm a 25 year old male living in Los Angeles with 1 moving violation that happened when I was 18. No tickets since. What do you guys pay and which insurance company is cheaper than AAA?
If it hasn't already been stated, check out Mercury Insurance. They've always been the cheapest for me. You should also take a look at when they give you the 25yr old discount. Some do it the day after your birthday, some midway to your 26th. That makes a big difference.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:03 PM
poohflingr
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Brian_Zinchuk

Whats up with all you guys and your "perfect records?" You drive a sports car, your supposed to get a speeding ticket every once in a while. JK. I'll pay 1,800 over this next year through USAA (government workers only) with no accidents, 23 years old, 1 speeding tickets on record and I am considered one of highest risk levels, Marines under the pay grade of E-7. There are so many guys that get back from Iraq and drive their $50,000 sports cars into a tree with a BAC level of .20 and higher that it ruins it for any other Marine that wants to have a sports car and drive sober all the time. I'm sure once I get out next x-mas my insurance will go down. O ya I live in Hawaii too where insurance is as expensive as every thing else. Nineinchnail: I told my insurance company about my 5K worth of mods and they didn't raise my premium at all, maybe you should call in pretending your someone else and see if it would be more expensive. I mean I have 3,000 rims and I live in the wheel stealing capital of the world, I thought they were going to raise it but all they told me to do was take pictures so if they do get stolen I have proof that I had them.
Actually USAA isn't just for Government workers. Even though I was a member before I began working there, their employees as well as military family members are eligible. So we have thousands of members that have never set foot on a military base.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:09 PM
poohflingr
2nd Gear Member

By the way, the key to covering your mods on insurance is to have receipts. Also, find out what your company considers racing parts. Racing parts will not be covered no matter what. Rims are easy to cover without any increases because they are in plain sight for the adjuster. But as said before, make sure of receipts.