Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Not liking the champion plugs!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:21 PM
blk05stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Not liking the champion plugs!!

Well I installed these a while back now and the first couple days the car ran great. Now it runs like complete crap until its completely warmed up and then it runs better then with the stock plugs. When I first start it in the morning the idle will fluctuate between 500-800 rpm. If I give it gas it will drop down to 500 for a second and then go up to 800 and power is way down when under 3000rpm. I pulled the plugs a few days ago and they all look fine. I'm ready to get rid of these POS plugs. Glad I didnt have to pay $16 per plug or I would be very upset. Anyone else having trouble with the champions?
Old 04-11-2008, 05:30 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Not liking the champion plugs!!

first i have heard....
Old 04-11-2008, 08:07 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

could be a coincedance.

My car runs like crap compared to when it's warm, but even when it's running like crap it's pretty damn good crap.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:35 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hey blk, what did you gap your plugs
too? just curious if that has anything to
do with the issue at hand
Old 04-12-2008, 08:51 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Did you ohm the plugs before you installed them?

Need 6K or less from the head to firing tip and head to firing end.

If its more than this dont use them.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

subscribing
Old 04-12-2008, 11:58 AM
blk05stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

could be a coincedance.

My car runs like crap compared to when it's warm, but even when it's running like crap it's pretty damn good crap.
Well mine now runs like very bad crap when its cold ....lol

ORIGINAL: hammeron

hey blk, what did you gap your plugs
too? just curious if that has anything to
do with the issue at hand
I gapped them to .045, they were set to .042

ORIGINAL: GT John

Did you ohm the plugs before you installed them?

Need 6K or less from the head to firing tip and head to firing end.

If its more than this dont use them.
What is it to ohm plugs? Don't know what your asking

From reading another forum I got the idea that maybe the plugs arent the problem. I cleaned and reoiled my air intake filter a while back and its possible that I fouled up the MAF sensor. I cant remember if it was acting up before that but I know I did it after the plug install so its worth a try to clean the MAF and see what happens. I will try it today or tomorrow and report back. Hope that's the problem.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:03 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

To ohm spark plugs:

Get a digital volt/ohm meter.

One lead will go to the metal head of the plug the other lead will go to the center firing electrode. Read the meter, if it registers over 6000 ohms (resistive)........dont use the plug. Repeat this process for the firing strap end. (head to firing strap).

Same thing with spark plug wires. (not on our cars)Measure the ohms of the shortest wire, should be about a foot long. Record the ohm reading. Now, as the plug wires start to get progressively longer the ohm reading should begin to get largerin scale. (a two foot long plug wire ohm reading should be twice the reading of a one foot long plug wire.) If not then dont use the plug wire that is giving you a higher than expected reading.

If you have some used plugs give them a test, you'll see what I'm talking about. Some plug ohm readings are waaayy high.

The higher the plug resistance the lower the voltage (spark)delivered between the firing tip and strap. (voltage drop)

Oh yeah, dont forget to clean the MAF Sensor with the same cleaner you use on the throttle body. Make sure its blown dry before hooking it back up. This should be done at least once a year. 15k miles. There is a thermistor (for sensing temperature) and a hot wire (senses air velocity - which is converted to cfm knowing the area of the throttle body) these two sensors can get dirty (oil or whatever)
Old 04-12-2008, 04:27 PM
blk05stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT John

To ohm spark plugs:

Get a digital volt/ohm meter.

One lead will go to the metal head of the plug the other lead will go to the center firing electrode. Read the meter, if it registers over 6000 ohms (resistive)........dont use the plug. Repeat this process for the firing strap end. (head to firing strap).

Same thing with spark plug wires. (not on our cars)Measure the ohms of the shortest wire, should be about a foot long. Record the ohm reading. Now, as the plug wires start to get progressively longer the ohm reading should begin to get largerin scale. (a two foot long plug wire ohm reading should be twice the reading of a one foot long plug wire.) If not then dont use the plug wire that is giving you a higher than expected reading.

If you have some used plugs give them a test, you'll see what I'm talking about. Some plug ohm readings are waaayy high.

The higher the plug resistance the lower the voltage (spark)delivered between the firing tip and strap. (voltage drop)
Ok thanks. If cleaning the MAF doesn't work I will give that a try.

Anyone think it could be an issue with the 93 race tune from BAMA needing an adjustment for the new plugs?
Old 04-12-2008, 05:36 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

no...tune has absolutely nothing to do with plugs

Quick Reply: Not liking the champion plugs!!