Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Jimmying the finish of shorty headers - yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:11 AM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Jimmying the finish of shorty headers - yes or no?

I have mentioned in the past Edelbrock also now makes a CARB Certified Shorty. But I don't think anyone here as used them as of yet. I would like to as they are a well known name, and also supports local manufacturing in CA.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:08 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Simon1

ORIGINAL: mustangford289

Suoperdave84 you could probably make your point without looking like an indignant know it all, no one listens to a know it all. Being right doesnt give one the right to be demeaning especially when he presents a point and supports it with evidence. Now play nice.
Exactly.
I played nice, he's the one who said:

"I am honestly getting sick of people who post regurgitated BS... "

Meaning we are all stupid because we happen to thinksomething other than he does.

But I TOTALLY changed my mind. I bought some shorty headers, subframe connectors, a strut tower brace, and a new throttle body. Man this thing is gonna be sweet.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:19 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: suoperdave84

Suoperdave84 you could probably make your point without looking like an indignant know it all, no one listens to a know it all. Being right doesnt give one the right to be demeaning especially when he presents a point and supports it with evidence. Now play nice.
Exactly.

Meaning we are all stupid because we happen to thinksomething other than he does.

But I TOTALLY changed my mind. I bought some shorty headers, subframe connectors, a strut tower brace, and a new throttle body. Man this thing is gonna be sweet.
hehe....that was a pretty good one [8D]
Old 04-14-2008, 01:24 PM
MustangEsq
2nd Gear Member

Exactly.

uuhhh...no you didnt play nice...you gave the OP YOUR OPINION "throw them in a river" without any reasoning. I didnt mean to start a "battle", but I guess I posted based on your "know-it-all" tone. Things can be easily misinterpreted on forums...No worries here

Thepoint ofmy post...everyone on MustangForums says Longtubes Longtubes Longtubes. Thereare NOTHING wrong with Longtubes, but there are other alternatives out there that CAN give you a nice bump in performance for less money.

I have friends that are happy with their longtube setups...and I have friends with shorties...I made my choice of header based on driving in cars with similar mods and different exhaust setups. I liked the sound, performance and price of the shorty, and since I do not plan on going FI, I thought they were the most logical choice.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:38 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Just so you know I felt a some good gains in the lower RPM band with my ARH LTs also, so i gained up top as weel as the midrange (2500+)
Old 04-14-2008, 10:11 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangEsq

ORIGINAL: MustangEsq

ORIGINAL: crazystylin

OK, PLEASE ADVISE:

I am not concerned with having shiny chromed out headers and am comfortable with a low profile look.

Instead of buying shorty ceramic coated headers, would you think the following would work well:

Ordering a pair of good quality 304 s/s shorty headers, like BBKs or (YOUR RECOMENDATIONS HERE) and spraying them with several coats of high temp blk paint or (YOUR RECOMENDATION HERE). Would this significantly decrease heat soak/engine bay temps????

OR[/align]
In addition to painting/coating them, wrapping them with header wrap. Would this significantly decrease heat soak/engine bay temps????

The reason I don't mind a black painted or wrapped finish is because I think it would have a better chance of being overlooked during a CA SMOG/5.0 inspection. Keep'n it low profile with the added gains is fine by me, as I am buying for the go, not the show.[/align]
I still recommend throwing them in a river.
Why?

Because you read a internet message board?

Do you have them on your car?

Have you ever seen a comparable comparison between shorties and l/t's?

I am honestly getting sick of people who post regurgitated BS...
How about a reputable source like Brenspeed? Does that qualify your highness?

I am sick of idiots not knowing what the hell they are talking about.

$400....4HP. Long tubes, 18-25 HP for about $700.Shorty headers are totallyworthless no matter what kind of spin you try to put on it. Quit trying to argue your ridiculous opinionsand stfu.
hmm...very odd...Dave at Brenspeed said different when I purchased mine...said for a street car I would see better low-mid gains with still a decent peak gain...370 delivered.

Kooks...ARH??? $700??? in your dreams....try $1300-1500...

18-25hp...maybe on an FI application...N/A looking at 10-15. I'll take my $1000 and leave 3hp on the table, your highness.

My ridiculous opinions...I HAVE THESE ON MY CAR AND AM SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE. My car has much more throttle response throughtout the powerband. What application are you running BTW? stock exhaust manifolds, huh...Keep on reading the forums son...and believe every word of what you read.
Oh my God, I am totally wrong and you are totally right! Your application proves it!

On behalf of all people on this forum, and all people who know anything about cars everywhere, please accept my apology! Apparently since you bought shorty headers you are 100% right and we all have been wrong the whole time!

Oh my God I am so stupid! And you're so totally right about me getting all my info from mindless people on forums!

Now I'll feel better when I get my shorty headers. I won't feel like I have to make up facts to justify my purchase. I'll be well on my way to 1000 horsepower. And thank God they are so cheap....you're right I checked and long tubes are like $25,000...and only 1HP gain.
??? Seriously? I write on this forum to get different points of views, granted, but hopefully well thought out points of view.

Please provide opinions grounded in facts/results/experience. Not he said, she said, Brenspeed said.

As my prior post states, I am looking for the mid-range gains for my DD. Shorties sound like a good buy for me.

I got the fever . . . and i need more cowbell.

P.S. to Simon1's prior post:

"Don't get the BBKs for two reasons maybe three.
1. JBA uses thicker steel to make their headers.
2. They are CARB legal. Big deal for those of us in CA. If you wrap or coat your BBKs the smog inspector will send you to a referee and you will have to pay gain for the appointment and the smog check. Then you will have to un-wrap the headers to show them the CARB# or lack there of and then you will be screwed. A friend had the JBAs put on about 13-14 years ago and the welds broke on the CARB plate (or rusted off)and thus the CARB # fell off somewhere. He had to buy one header and put it on his car with a CARB # just so he could pass.
3. I'm not sure if they are equal length but that is very important."

THAT IS RELEVANT INFORMATION THAT I APPRECIATE, THANK YOU.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:20 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

??? Seriously? I write on this forum to get different points of views, granted, but hopefully well thought out points of view.

Please provide opinions grounded in facts/results/experience. Not he said, she said, Brenspeed said.

As my prior post states, I am looking for the mid-range gains for my DD. Shorties sound like a good buy for me.

I go the fever . . . and i need more cowbell.
Hell yeah....MORE COWBELL!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Cjack2005

Ahhh the internet. Gotta love it! This thread is way too damn funny.
Breakout that CowBell!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 11:27 PM
kolb02
2nd Gear Member

Thats the best SNL skit ever!
Old 04-15-2008, 02:29 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

THAT IS RELEVANT INFORMATION THAT I APPRECIATE, THANK YOU.
You're welcome.

I like my shorties, I like the throttle response, I like that they are legal and I love the tone/noise they created.

Quick Reply: Jimmying the finish of shorty headers - yes or no?