Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My Eaton and 4.10s are toast

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:10 PM
baha
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: My Eaton and 4.10s are toast

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

Well, since you've answered none of my questions, I'll quietly leave b/c I can't help you.
Hey man I'm sorry, I missed both of your posts, here are the answers:

Where did you have the diff and gears installed?
A mechanic friend of mine.

If it was only 3 months ago then bring it there, why did you go to the dealership?
'cause I didn't know there was a problem with those parts until it was too late, they called me after disassembling everything!! a*holes

Why would you want to put the stock Trac-lok and gears in?
'cause the dealer kinda warned me that if I don't return it back to stock they'll void my warranty! a*holes

Which Eaton did you have, the TruTrac or the Locker?
All I know is that it has clutches not gears according to Brenspeed.

did they put in friction modifier?
Yes he did.

I wish I had gone with a Detroit TruTrac in the first place.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna talk to that shop again although it's too late.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:19 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

OK, well since you're getting it under warranty just let them do it and then you can at least start from scratch with a driveable vehicle.

Perhaps the diff has a manufacturers warranty and you could start by calling Brenspeed on that too.

With an Auto you're looking to modI wouldn't go beyond 3.73 b/c of some serious traction problems, but that's just MO.

If you can't get any luck with Eaton on a warranty then I would def recommend the Tru Trac. By far, the best drivetrain mod I've done, better than the DS and even the gears themselves.

Good luck with the rebuild. BTW, did the dealership say there was plenty of gear lube in the case 'cause this sure sounds suspicious for improper lubrication.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:45 PM
baha
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

OK, well since you're getting it under warranty just let them do it and then you can at least start from scratch with a driveable vehicle.

Perhaps the diff has a manufacturers warranty and you could start by calling Brenspeed on that too.

With an Auto you're looking to modI wouldn't go beyond 3.73 b/c of some serious traction problems, but that's just MO.
I will.
and...traction with the 4.10s wasn't that bad actually but you might be right, the best 60 foot I could manage was 2.2 on stock tires.
If you can't get any luck with Eaton on a warranty then I would def recommend the Tru Trac. By far, the best drivetrain mod I've done, better than the DS and even the gears themselves.

Good luck with the rebuild. BTW, did the dealership say there was plenty of gear lube in the case 'cause this sure sounds suspicious for improper lubrication.
I had my eyes on the TruTrac in the first place

And yes, I remember them saying something about the lubrication. I have a feeling though we'll never know the truth!!

On the other hand, the mechanic who installed my gears and diff has done this many times before with no issues, over the years he has also installed: (suspension, driveshafts, superchargers, cams, heads,...etc)

It Is Puzzling!!![sm=insomnia.gif]
Old 04-14-2008, 05:12 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

I'd make sure to get those parts back from the dealership after they install new ones. Send them back to the manufacturer for replacement under warranty. If they replace them, then take them and have them installed by someone different than the first guy (if you want them in the vehicle).

If the manufacturers come back and say "It was an installation error", then get that in writing, and then go talk tothe installerabout a refund for at the VERY least the labor, and if it were me, I'd be going after him for at LEAST some, if not ALL of the cost of the parts themselves, since they were damaged by his improper installation.

+1 on 4.10's being too much gear for an automatic FI car. I think 3.55's would be just right (that's what I have in my 5-speed, and it's good). A friend has 4.10's in his 5-speed KB, and he has traction issues all over the place, even with 305 DR's..