Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

TB and tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:33 PM
cenotaph
1st Gear Member

Default TB and tune

If a new throttle body is being installed by the dealer, and I already have a Predator 91 octane tune dialed in, is there anything to worry about? Is there any relationship between the two (the TB and the tune)?

Thanks again
Old 04-15-2008, 03:07 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: TB and tune

Well they might reflash your computer after they install the TB. If you already had the work done you need to re install the tune but you may not be able to from what I have read on here. So if you did not go to the dealer yet (which on another post it looks like you have) and you did not return your car to the stock tune and told the dealer NOT to reflash the computer you might have tune issues! Sorry but others will chime in and in the future just add to the original thread you started first and put EDIT in the title and on the thread itself so others know to chime in and not think it is a separate issue. Hopefully they DID NOT reflash the PCM!!!!! J
Old 04-15-2008, 10:35 AM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

Well they might reflash your computer after they install the TB. If you already had the work done you need to re install the tune but you may not be able to from what I have read on here. So if you did not go to the dealer yet (which on another post it looks like you have) and you did not return your car to the stock tune and told the dealer NOT to reflash the computer you might have tune issues! Sorry but others will chime in and in the future just add to the original thread you started first and put EDIT in the title and on the thread itself so others know to chime in and not think it is a separate issue. Hopefully they DID NOT reflash the PCM!!!!! J
+1
When I had mine replaced I forgot to change the tune back to stock, so I went to the dealer and did it there. You should change it back to stock, or I believe you could lose your tune.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:55 PM
cenotaph
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input guys.
I did not change the tune back to stock prior to bringing the car to the dealer. (I was stuck in the middle of the freeway!)

How do I know if they reflash the PCM?
And if they did (reflash), can't I just re-install the Predator tune?
Old 04-16-2008, 06:17 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cenotaph

If a new throttle body is being installed by the dealer, and I already have a Predator 91 octane tune dialed in, is there anything to worry about? Is there any relationship between the two (the TB and the tune)?

Thanks again
Whatever you do put the car back to the stock tune before taking it to the dealer.
With the Predator read your "strategy" code and write it down. Right now, your Predator is locked to your vehicle via the "strategy" code. If the dealer gets into your cars PCM and changes the "strategy" code on you.........your hosed. You will have to send the Predator back to Diablo to have them unlock it.

Returning the car back to the stock tune will unlock/reset the Predator and allow it to be reused on your car.

As far as the dealer changing the throttle body having an effect on you tune, no it wont. It will take a little time forthe PCM to relearn the electrical position of the TPS......no biggy.

GL
Old 04-16-2008, 11:50 PM
cenotaph
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies.

If I send the Predator back to Diablo to have them unlock it, is that costly or a major pain? Do I just have to pay for the shipping of the unit? I guess I'm asking how easy the company is to deal with in this situation.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:46 PM
dsteber

Do not even attempt to load a tune on your car when you get it back. I did unknowingly what would happen. I did not put it to stock when I brought it in for minor stuff non-ecm related. I didn't think they would need to touch the computer. They did and I didn't know. I got home and reloaded my tune. The car would not start. Had it towed, etc, etc. After it was all said and done, my ecm was fried in a section of it. The cruise control did not work. Little things like that. We traded it in for an 08 Gt/CS vert. Much better. Eveything happens for a reason!!!