Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

ALL Saleen SC owners in here!!! Charging system problems??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 08:07 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: ALL Saleen SC owners in here!!! Charging system problems??

Inlet tube pushes down on the wires and presses them against the alternator itself. Creates a short. There's an easy fix for this if its the case. Rubber hose wrapped around the wires. Alternator can be reclocked also.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:16 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Which wires are you referring to? The one that's melting is the big one, the positive batter cable. The smaller ones (I'm guessing they feed the voltage regulator), those ones are the ones you're saying get crushed? The big one sticks out the back and isn't really all that tight against the inlet tube, if it even touches it at all.. ??
Old 04-18-2008, 08:30 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

I'm not saying this is your problem for sure, I'm saying this has been a problem in the past on some cars. The wires coming out of your alternator get mashed down by the inlet tube creating a short. A split rubber hose slipped over the wires keep them from the (alternator body) and inlet tube, thus insulating the wires from shorting. Just a suggestion for you to check.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:33 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

I would re-clock the thing, but Brenspeed did my install, and I don't recall the pulley tool being in the box 'o' parts I got from them before I left (old injectors, old WP pulley, etc etc)..

Oh yeah, one of my idler pullies squeaks too, but only for about 3 or 4 minutes, right after a cold start. I know it's not the alternator, I checked this morning. That's actually how I FOUND this alternator problem, was listening for which pulley was squeaking... Anyone know where I can get a couple of new idler pullies?

I should just say screw it and get the 8 rib kit.. LOL Replace em all.. But I need to replace my crank pulley for that, too, and I'm not so keen on that idea just yet..... :-(
Old 04-18-2008, 09:06 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: exx1976

Nope, no headers or anything else under-hood done at the body shop, just the side-exit exhaust.

Shorting out under the inlet tube? This would cause the problem I'm describing? Where would it be shorting out? I'd love nothing more than to go out there and find that it's just a wire I can reconnect and call it a day...
yes yes yes.....here is mine..had the p0340 and p0344 code...checked alternator it was bad..replaced it with an alternator from hotairgypsy off an 07 gt...next thing you know I was getting charging system error....we could not figure it out..at first the red cable plugged into the alternator was loose...went back and forth and fixed that then next day same thing so we hooked up voltmeter and checked volts and amps..I was getting fluctuating volts from 14.4 to 15.1...max should not be over 14.94 according to the guide..anyway..after untaping my pigtail that runs to the battery and pcm we could figure it ...so we took a volt meter and checked the plugs to see where the volts fluctuated the most..then we traced the wire down and found my yellow and blue wire coming out of the pig tail plug was broken..so we replaced it....would this cause this..yes...your alternator is over compensating for the voltage out of one of the plugs to not be accurate,.,.so a short will send a message to your ocm that the voltage is irregular,,,your alternator and regualtor read it as more juice needed due to one wire or something is not holdings its weight....

some things to check

all wiring that was spliced into for the saleen...pigtail from the alternator on mine right by the plug was where it snapped on mine
check Fuse #43: it is a 10a fuse that is alternator...if it is blown it too will cause the same issue
check your voltage coming out of your alternator at the alternator: If it is fluctuating there it could be a bad regulator..check at battery and at the plug that goes into your pcm...
worse case scenario...if you do have to replace the alternator..(lets say alternator is bad: or regulator) .STILL CHECK ALL YOUR WIRING...as it could have been one of your wires shorting that caused your alternator to overwork and go bad in the first place..as far as alternator replacement...the GL920 is what i have heard as the best choice....hope this helps...TJ
Old 04-18-2008, 09:11 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

I would re-clock the thing, but Brenspeed did my install, and I don't recall the pulley tool being in the box 'o' parts I got from them before I left (old injectors, old WP pulley, etc etc)..

Oh yeah, one of my idler pullies squeaks too, but only for about 3 or 4 minutes, right after a cold start. I know it's not the alternator, I checked this morning. That's actually how I FOUND this alternator problem, was listening for which pulley was squeaking... Anyone know where I can get a couple of new idler pullies?

I should just say screw it and get the 8 rib kit.. LOL Replace em all.. But I need to replace my crank pulley for that, too, and I'm not so keen on that idea just yet..... :-(
contact JIM at JDM....he might be able to get you the tool...he sent me mine for just shipping..he might be out of them...but you could check with him
Old 04-19-2008, 07:01 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I would think that Brenspeed would know enough to reclock the alternator, he's done enough of them...

BTW TJ, how's that pulley removal go?
Old 04-19-2008, 08:49 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

I would think that Brenspeed would know enough to reclock the alternator, he's done enough of them...

BTW TJ, how's that pulley removal go?
it was easy....it was regular thread and came right off with the tool....alternator had a few issues after install...but as posted above it was the wire coming out of the pigtail was broken...how is that 10psi going???must be awesome...IF I dont sell my car...I might do that or wait on the saleen shaker upgrade....
Old 04-19-2008, 03:20 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

Nope, no headers or anything else under-hood done at the body shop, just the side-exit exhaust.

Shorting out under the inlet tube? This would cause the problem I'm describing? Where would it be shorting out? I'd love nothing more than to go out there and find that it's just a wire I can reconnect and call it a day...
yes yes yes.....here is mine..had the p0340 and p0344 code...checked alternator it was bad..replaced it with an alternator from hotairgypsy off an 07 gt...next thing you know I was getting charging system error....we could not figure it out..at first the red cable plugged into the alternator was loose...went back and forth and fixed that then next day same thing so we hooked up voltmeter and checked volts and amps..I was getting fluctuating volts from 14.4 to 15.1...max should not be over 14.94 according to the guide..anyway..after untaping my pigtail that runs to the battery and pcm we could figure it ...so we took a volt meter and checked the plugs to see where the volts fluctuated the most..then we traced the wire down and found my yellow and blue wire coming out of the pig tail plug was broken..so we replaced it....would this cause this..yes...your alternator is over compensating for the voltage out of one of the plugs to not be accurate,.,.so a short will send a message to your ocm that the voltage is irregular,,,your alternator and regualtor read it as more juice needed due to one wire or something is not holdings its weight....

some things to check

all wiring that was spliced into for the saleen...pigtail from the alternator on mine right by the plug was where it snapped on mine
check Fuse #43: it is a 10a fuse that is alternator...if it is blown it too will cause the same issue
check your voltage coming out of your alternator at the alternator: If it is fluctuating there it could be a bad regulator..check at battery and at the plug that goes into your pcm...
worse case scenario...if you do have to replace the alternator..(lets say alternator is bad: or regulator) .STILL CHECK ALL YOUR WIRING...as it could have been one of your wires shorting that caused your alternator to overwork and go bad in the first place..as far as alternator replacement...the GL920 is what i have heard as the best choice....hope this helps...TJ
TJ- wow, some great information there man!! Thank you! I will be ripping into this tomorrow, so I hoping it's only a wire, right? :-)

The wire that you had to replace - you replaced the whole thing, or just the broken segment? If one end went to the alternator, then where did the other end of the wire go, and how much of it did you replace??

Thanks again guys, I'll be sure to post in a few days what I find about this.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:21 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

some things to check

TJ- wow, some great information there man!! Thank you! I will be ripping into this tomorrow, so I hoping it's only a wire, right? :-)

The wire that you had to replace - you replaced the whole thing, or just the broken segment? If one end went to the alternator, then where did the other end of the wire go, and how much of it did you replace??

Thanks again guys, I'll be sure to post in a few days what I find about this.
hopefully it is just a wire...however if you have to get a new alternator shop around. the GL920 is the best...sells on rockauto.com for 395...however JDM will get it for you cheaper: Just call JIM up and ask him...about $350...I also know someone else that can get it much cheaper but i would have to ask if if he minds me giving out his info etc...so I would have to check...
there is a black plug that goes to your alternator: this is spliced into for the saleen install. this pigtail if you trace back goes to a white and black plug that then connects into the PCM. there are 3 wires that run with this. on mine the yellow and blue wire was broken right near the bend underneath my inlet ..right about 1 1/2" behind the plug. it was wire loom covering it and tape so we noticed it when we removed the wire loom and tape. we just took some wire and cut out 1 inch of the broken wire. we then spliced in a new wire , (About 3 inches: to give the wire a little more play as I think taht is why it broke since it was so tight. soldered, shrink tube and placed back in tape and loom....good luck hope this helps...dont forget to check the fuse and voltages at each point as well..this will help you allot in finding the culprit causing your issue...good luck...TJ

Quick Reply: ALL Saleen SC owners in here!!! Charging system problems??