Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Started my clutch install.........

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 06:39 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default Started my clutch install.........

And hit a road block. The blower won't let me tilt the engine back far enough so the transmission will clear the tunnel. I even tried removing the motor mount bolts so I could slide the engine forward.

I refuse to remove the blower, i'm stubborn that way. Plus I'd have to completely clean the engine first. Instead I've decided to remove the motor mounts to lower the engine a few inches. If I put a block of wood where the motor mounts go it should give me plenty of clearance.

I don't know who thought it was a good idea to remove the upper trans mounting bolts from under the car, but I decided right away that wasn't going to happen. I got both out from above with very little effort.

Also one of the H pipe nuts on each side was only finger tight. It didn't look like the exhaust was leaking, but you all might want to check yours. Be sure to have some long wobble sockets handy.

I'll have more pics and a full how to when I'm done. Anyone without a twin screw blower could easily change the clutch in 1 day. It took me 3 hours to jack the car up and remove the H pipe, drive shaft, starter, trans crossmember and all the transmission bolts.

Hammeron, there is very little weight on the blower when it's resting against the firewall. The motor mounts are still supporting all the engine weight. Just thought i'd let you know.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the new clutch in.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:34 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Started my clutch install.........

[quote]ORIGINAL: moosestang

I refuse to remove the blower, i'm stubborn that way.

i don't blame you it weighs a ton

I got both out from above with very little effort.

this is good to know

I'll have more pics and a full how to when I'm done.

i'll be the first to recommend CONTRIBUTOR status if you do

Hammeron, there is very little weight on the blower when it's resting against the firewall.
The motor mounts are still supporting all the engine weight. Just thought i'd let you know.

thanks i appreciate that. i do plan on removing the blower however, only
because i have to make up the cost of the engine hoist

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the new clutch in.

i hope the rest goes very smoothly for you....
Old 04-19-2008, 07:45 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Good luck! Do you mind telling me what ramps those are and where you got them?
Old 04-19-2008, 08:00 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

About the blower hitting the firewall. With the trans disconnected allready there is very little weight pushing on the firewall. If you left the trans connected and let the full weight of the trans pull down on the motor then you'd probably have the blower crushing the firewall.

I just wanted to clarify that I have the trans supported with a transmission jack and it's about 3 inches away from the engine. I can see the transmission input shaft when looking down from above, but it's not quite far enough back to clear the clutch disk.

I'll get it out tomorrow without pulling the blower. I'm not pulling the blower! I won't do it!

If I have to I will, but I don't think it'll be necessary.

I think I have very little left of my stock clutch disk.

Here's that $59 trans jack from harbor freight. Works good.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:02 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jahudso2

Good luck! Do you mind telling me what ramps those are and where you got them?
Those are rhino ramps and I got them at advanced discount autoparts for $35 a set. One set was givin to me for a birthday present and I liked them so much I went out and bought another.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:11 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

I'll get it out tomorrow without pulling the blower. I'm not pulling the blower! I won't do it!

pull it! j/k that made me laugh cause i KNOW how stubborn you are...

looking forward to seeing pics of your clutch

Old 04-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Wish I could help. When I installed my SPEC II, I didn't have the whipple yet, so I didn't encounter this problem. I will say this, pulling and reinstalling the blower is a snap. I've gotten it down to a science and can do it in about 90 minutes, fluids and all!

Are you planning to have someone refinish the flywheel or are you installing a new flywheel as well? I had my flywheel resurfaced and wish I had just sprung for a new steel flywheel.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:31 PM
mustard05
2nd Gear Member

i just dropped the cross member, 4 bolts and down the motor came, with a jack under it. very easy
Old 04-20-2008, 07:16 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

Wish I could help. When I installed my SPEC II, I didn't have the whipple yet, so I didn't encounter this problem. I will say this, pulling and reinstalling the blower is a snap. I've gotten it down to a science and can do it in about 90 minutes, fluids and all!

Are you planning to have someone refinish the flywheel or are you installing a new flywheel as well? I had my flywheel resurfaced and wish I had just sprung for a new steel flywheel.
I bought a new billet steel flywheel. Let me ask you this. My flywheel came with steel pins (not installed) to line up the pressure plate. I was thinking these get removed afterwards, but the stock flywheel steel has the pins in them. Did you put those pins back in? They slide in easily in some of the holes and others i'd have to hammer them in.

I live on a dirt road so there's a good chance of getting dirt down in the intake manifold if I pull the blower. Even cleaning really good around the gasket is no guarantee.

ORIGINAL: mustard05

i just dropped the cross member, 4 bolts and down the motor came, with a jack under it. very easy
I think you may have something there.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:54 AM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

I bought a new billet steel flywheel. Let me ask you this. My flywheel came with steel pins (not installed) to line up the pressure plate. I was thinking these get removed afterwards, but the stock flywheel steel has the pins in them. Did you put those pins back in? They slide in easily in some of the holes and others i'd have to hammer them in.

[/quote]

Just interested in why a steel flywheel as opposed to a lighter weightaluminum?

Quick Reply: Started my clutch install.........