Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

With all the Whipple talk...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Juban
1st Gear Member

Default With all the Whipple talk...

I have a whipple related question. I did a search but couldn't find the posts that I was looking for (i remember reading one that listed good pre-supercharger mods to do.) Anywho, here's the background info and my basic questions:

I've wanted to supercharge my stang for a while, but hit a road block when I found out that my position was being cut earlier than I expected at my job, so I had to put all car related purchases on hold. This isn't a big deal because there isn't any use in having a great car and no place to live. I just found out that a friend who owns a garage can get me a retarded good price on a whipple kit (s/c, injectors, fuel pump, etc) and wouldn't mind helping me out with the install (i'd have to drive a ways to get to him, but that would make the drive back all the more fun right ?) This isn't a "i have to do it now sort of thing," so I can do it within the right time to relocate, find a new job, and make sure I have everything lined up before I get back to working on the car. Currently the GT is stock with the exception of some flowmasters that were on at the time of purchase and a Hurst shifter that is finally going to get off of my shelf an in my car now that winter is over (hoping for clear skies this weekend." I have stock 3.55 gears and from what I've read, I should be fine with those for a twin screw. I mean, even if I have to I'll buy the supercharger and let it sit there until I can get the neccessary components at a later time (that would hurt so bad, but at least I should have the most expensive part out of the way.) I'm not looking to throw 500-600hp or anything since forged internals would be an extra couple of grand...thinking about keeping it at 450ish rwp since it's supposed to be "safe" for the stock bottom end with the possiblitiy of much later considering an upgrade at some point when this car isn't my daily driver.

Now for the real question: What are the neccessary supercharger support mods? I'm kinda looking to see what I should expect to add to my GT fund.

I've read:
-wheels and tires
-suspension (what is exactly is needed though and what can be added later?)
-clutch and flywheel
-brakes?
-what guages SHOULD I get (if any) and what can be added later?

I know there have been posts like this before, so if anybody can just give me a link to one that I missed in the search that works too.

Thanks for any/all input,
-Juban
Old 04-21-2008, 11:54 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Default RE: With all the Whipple talk...

dont need any other mods, but the gauges would be first on my list: WB a/f, mechanical boost, electric fuel pressure. those should monitor the SC pretty well. other mods you can do as needed.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:06 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

sounds like a fun project,
keep us posted
Old 04-21-2008, 12:33 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

First things first, get a supercharger.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:56 PM
mustang fanatic
1st Gear Member

From what Ihave heard an aluminum 1-piecedriveshaft is good to get. I heard the stock one will break with a supercharger.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:11 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang fanatic

From what Ihave heard an aluminum 1-piecedriveshaft is good to get. I heard the stock one will break with a supercharger.
It won't break, unless you are launching with slicks and cutting some ridiculously low 60 ft times. I just put my 1 piece driveshaft back in, had it out since the gears were installed. I put the stocker back in myself because I didn't want the shop ****ing with the adapter.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Juban
1st Gear Member

awesome, good to hear that I can just start with the Whipple and add later. I'm excited but this won't even be close to happening until some time after August since that's when i'm going to move and shop around for another job. Will keep you guys updated
Old 04-21-2008, 02:46 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

well good luck with the job search,
i hope you find something you like

so until your s/c is in, we'll tear up
the streets on your behalf
Old 04-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Juban
1st Gear Member

haha that's what I like to hear!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Just make sure you get a kit with the new blower (Series II).
The only problem with that is they make 12 psi of boost at sea level.
475 rwhp SAE with a good tune through the stock manifolds and cats.
That means well over 500 rwhp in good air.
Might have to go to a larger pulley to get down to 450 rwhp.

Quick Reply: With all the Whipple talk...