Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A How To: changing manual transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:08 PM
monovitae

Originally Posted by 64cv
Just changed the original factory fluid in my '05 GT 5sp with 58k miles to Royal Purple (RP) Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). Both the Tremec 3650 manual and the Ford manual say to use ATF with a Dexron III rating in the manual trans. The RP ATF has a Dexron III-H rating. Seems like the III-H is ok in place of the straight III without the suffix. Unless you've already done it, I wouldn't put manual transmission fluid in the S197 GT manual transmission, it's designed for ATF.

By the way, the tremec manual says fill to bottom of the fill hole, not 1/2" below. I know that's different than the Ford manual but it's designed that way so it fills perfect and overflows if you put in too much. I don't think the Tremec guy was against RP; I think he was against using Synchromesh manual fluid.
Brad
Does anyone have any additional insight on the Royal Purple Syncromax versus ATF issue. I don't know if someone just erroneously assumed they needed Syncromax since it was a manual or if there was some reasoning involved. I'm looking to do this as I'm a RP lover, its done some amazing things in almost every vehicle I've put it in, that defy all forms of logical explanation. I just recently picked up a 2006 GT with 7k miles on it and already switched to 5w20 RP in the engine; looking to do this next.

I can confirm that my manual lists 'Motorcraft MERCON ATF' for the manual transmission fluid specification. Any insight greatly appreciated. I'm leaning toward following the spec at this point, unless I hear otherwise.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:46 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

if you look on the RP bottle,it says it can be used in place of the mercon our trannys use......so it would seem it is compatable no problem, ive used it in 2 trannys so far and it has felt better in each one!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:22 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by one eyed *****
if you look on the RP bottle,it says it can be used in place of the mercon our trannys use......so it would seem it is compatable no problem, ive used it in 2 trannys so far and it has felt better in each one!
It appears AM has the RP in both Syncromax for MT and the Max ATF fluids...

Soooo... which is better... The Max ATF states it is Dexron/Mercon III compatible, but the description for the Syncromax states "Synchromax® is recommended for manual transmissions that specify an automatic transmission fluid or motor oil."

Why is this so danged confusing?

Don
Old 08-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

If Tremec said to use Mobil 1 ATF, I think that's what I'll use...
Old 03-15-2011, 12:04 AM
jAAAmes
2nd Gear Member

i am confused about which fluid to use. i have manual 06 gt, went to o'reillys to pick up the rp syncromax, but they didnt have any in stock. i talked to an employee there and he looked up my car in the computer and told me to use the rp max atf. it says right on the bottle that its for automatics, but he said that it was fine. im a bit skeptical. does anyone know if this is okay to use? here is a pic of the bottle:
Old 03-15-2011, 08:33 AM
64cv

jAAAmes, the 06 mustang GT has a Tremec 3650 manual transmission and does indeed use automatic transmission fluid (ATF). Tremec, however, recommends NOT using Royal Purple (RP). They recommend either regular ATF or Mobile 1 synthetic ATF. If you read through this entire thread, you'll find a post where someone called Tremec's tech support about this; that was the answer they received.

After reading that, I called too to ask why. They said RP has friction modifiers and they had not tested their transmissions for compatibility with them. Manual transmission synchronizers require some friction to work properly. Not wanting to experiment on my own transmission, I drained out $40 worth of RP and refilled it with Mobile I ATF.

Other people posting to this thread have said they've used RP and even synchromesh fluid with no problems.

So, bottom line, yes, the mustang maunal transmission uses automatic transmission fluid. Whether or not you want to use RP against Tremec's recommendation due to unknown compatibility, it's up to you.

Brad

Last edited by 64cv; 03-15-2011 at 08:35 AM. Reason: fat finger
Old 03-15-2011, 01:22 PM
jAAAmes
2nd Gear Member

okat thanks alot. ill take this back to the store and see if they can make an exchange. if not then i guess ill test out the rp.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:54 AM
Boondoggie
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
If Tremec said to use Mobil 1 ATF, I think that's what I'll use...
But you have to ask yourself why they recommend Mobil. Becuase they tested and determined it was the best? Or because they have a contract with them?
Old 05-04-2011, 04:03 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

For what it is worth I've been using the RP Synchromax for about 85,000 miles with no issue. The car has 187,000 total miles.
Attached Thumbnails  A How To: changing manual transmission fluid-dsc01685.jpg  
Old 05-10-2011, 09:37 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Another satisfied customer of this write up! I changed my fluid this past weekend with no problems at all. I'm just about to hit 100k. The old fluid was pretty ugly. I used 3 quarts of Mobile 1. Stuck my index finger in the hole and it came out wet so I guess thats good enough. No change in shift properties. I think it may be running a bit cooler judging by my stick shift not getting boiling hot anymore. I'll be better able to answer that this summer though.

Quick Reply: A How To: changing manual transmission fluid