Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A How To: changing manual transmission fluid

Old 05-14-2011, 07:03 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Wow! This post is still going. I still have the same synchromax in there and it still runs super cool compared to the stock fluid. I only have 37,000 miles on the car.

For those using mobil 1 atf, did you notice a big difference in transmission temp? Anything must be better than the stock fluid.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:29 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Wow! This post is still going. I still have the same synchromax in there and it still runs super cool compared to the stock fluid. I only have 37,000 miles on the car.

For those using mobil 1 atf, did you notice a big difference in transmission temp? Anything must be better than the stock fluid.
I'm interested in those that had switched to M1 atf as well, did anyone notice a difference in shift smoothness? I'm kind of wary because of what the Tremec tech said about RP, but at the same time I wouldn't know whether to go with the ATF or Synchromax if I did go with RP. I suppose I'd stick to what the tech said, though. I've been experiencing rough shifts, so I'm interested. I find it interesting that wasvette has used it with no issues, however...

Good write up.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:38 AM
pilatti1
2nd Gear Member

Well I just changed to SyncrIMAX with 65k and the shifting is soooo much smoother. I drove about 300 miles so far and sounds good but feels great
Old 06-17-2011, 12:03 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

For anyone interested, I made the switch to Mobil 1 ATF. Unfortunately, I noticed very little difference in the shifts. There was a bit less often 'scrape' feeling going into second, and some shifts were a bit smoother feeling, but not much. Oh well. Also, I never had an issue with the heat from the shifter.

I would've tried the Redline ATF, but I was unable to find it being sold anywhere around here.

Last edited by HxCGuitars; 06-17-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:54 AM
crankedGT/CS
1st Gear Member

i experience 2-3 grind when cold outside until tranny warms up. asked tech at ford about it when car 1 year old, and he told me syn. fluid change would fix per TSB. I want to finally do the change now that car has 50k on and winter around the corner; you guys make me undecided about what to replace with however...
Old 09-26-2011, 11:09 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

I'll put my experience out there. My car doesn't grind when it's cold, but it is a rough shift until it's warm, even if it's not cold outside, just if it's been sitting for a while. You need the TSB replacing the synchros, nothing about fluid. That being said, my worst experience is with Mobil 1, best with GM Synchromesh and what I currently have, Redline D4. Both are good, maybe with a slight edge to the Synchromesh.

But yeah, you could try a new fluid, but stick to red ATF if you're planning on taking it in with hopes of them replacing synchros. Should probably add that those that have the TSB done only sometimes have it fixed, sooo yeah.

Last edited by HxCGuitars; 09-26-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:57 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kcmarti
I do not believe I have ever change the tranny fluid on any of my manual transmission vehicles. Is this required? When/what mileage is recommended for the change?
I've changed mine twice now, I have 52k on mine, I think I changed first time because I wanted synthetic in it, with "Tufoil" mix, the second time at 30k because the book said to change. I think the book calls for 30k change. One thing you need to know is that your new trans calls for ATF, which is not the same thing as good old gear oil, and gets tired.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

I run Amsoil - 5W30 100% Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid in my TR6060 at the recommendation of a Tremec Elite dealer. My TR6060 has over 100,000 miles on it and still shifts like new. I also ran it in my T5 and it works much better than ATF in both transmissions. My son also runs it in his GT that has been upgraded to TR6060 with the same positive results.

All the S197 Tremec transmissions, T5, TR3650 and TR6060 will shift a little stiff until up to operating temperature when running Synchromesh fluids and somewhat when running ATF but less noticeable. This is one of the reasons Ford uses ATF as a factory fill for the masses that expect to jump in their car a drive away stone could and expect everything to work just as well as when up to operating temperature. The ATF will definitely shift smoother when stone cold as compared to any of the Synchromesh fluids. The Synchromesh fluids however will all perform much better at operation temperature than any of the ATFs.

Last edited by Nice Pony; 10-02-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:52 PM
equinox43

Simple question: I have a 2008 with the 4.0L V-6 and the 5 speed manual.

Will these instructions be the same for my car? Are these specific to a GT, Shelby, etc?
Old 10-15-2011, 08:36 AM
elnorte

LOL I have 191k on my 06 gt!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A How To: changing manual transmission fluid