Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A How To: changing manual transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Czar22
1st Gear Member

Changing over to Royal Purple is one of the best things I've done to my car..... The gears just slide in and out now. By the way, one other thought that I had the misfortune to experience for myself. If changing the tranny fluid by putting the front end up on jackstands, consider a glass of water when you tip it back and how the fill port on the transmission is towards the back.... I definitely spilled a lot of used tranny fluid that way and don't forget that you won't get a true measure of how much fluid you need to put in as well.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:59 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Czar22
Changing over to Royal Purple is one of the best things I've done to my car..... The gears just slide in and out now. By the way, one other thought that I had the misfortune to experience for myself. If changing the tranny fluid by putting the front end up on jackstands, consider a glass of water when you tip it back and how the fill port on the transmission is towards the back.... I definitely spilled a lot of used tranny fluid that way and don't forget that you won't get a true measure of how much fluid you need to put in as well.
Ideally, you should have the car on level ground and 4 equal height jackstands for this, but when I made the switch, I backed into my parent's driveway (a steep incline) and just jacked up the front. I was able to drain and fill about 2.9 quarts.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:43 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06stangGT
sorry i have a chrysler DD and i did a tranny fluid and filter change on it.

does the S197 have a tranny fluid filter

if not, i can get RP and have a drain and fill done for under 60 bucks where i work
There is no filter on the manual transmission, which is what this thread is all about. The automatic probably has one.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:57 PM
tx-skydiver
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nineinchnail1024
Ideally, you should have the car on level ground and 4 equal height jackstands for this, but when I made the switch, I backed into my parent's driveway (a steep incline) and just jacked up the front. I was able to drain and fill about 2.9 quarts.
For anyone else trying this method please do what I'm sure nineinchnail did and use e-brake as well as wheel chocks (not a 2x4 piece, but actual designed wheel chocks as this method could be dangerous.

ps - I do not recommend this method even when doing this. I do, however, recommend using 4 jack stands on level ground. They are cheap at any auto parts store.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:35 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

I just changed my tranny fluid for Reline MTL and it's a noticeable improvement. best $30 mod available
Old 06-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx-skydiver
For anyone else trying this method please do what I'm sure nineinchnail did and use e-brake as well as wheel chocks (not a 2x4 piece, but actual designed wheel chocks as this method could be dangerous.

ps - I do not recommend this method even when doing this. I do, however, recommend using 4 jack stands on level ground. They are cheap at any auto parts store.
Lol. I should have mentioned that I did use the E-brake and jackstands in the front. No wheel chocks though. Taking my life in my hands...
Old 06-29-2009, 06:26 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

We have rwd cars. Jacking up the front is not dangerous b/c you have the drivetrain and e-brake to hold the car. Jacking up the rear could result in misfortune however because there is no way to lock the front tires.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:22 PM
00silverStang
2nd Gear Member

http://www.americanmuscle.com/royal-...stomer-reviews

When people are talking about royal purple, this is what everyone is talking about correct?
Old 07-01-2009, 04:30 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

^ Yes, that's what I used.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:47 PM
00silverStang
2nd Gear Member

excelllennnnt. thanks

Quick Reply: A How To: changing manual transmission fluid