Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A How To: changing manual transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 09:26 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Did mine today following the write up, thanks! And wow, night and day difference!! Shifting like it use to! Wish I didn't put it off for like 2 years! 75k and that fluid was pretty freaking nasty!! Went with the same RP.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:10 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

good luck with the RP. I do love it in everything else except my TR3650, went with Mobil1 instead. I read a lot that it ate the synchros. fill the trans to the top plug. 3.2 quarts. I know an argument is going to ensue but Tremec moved the fill hole on these to make sure you fill till full, not 1/2" lower. 3.2 quarts of your chosen oil will be at the hole. good luck
Old 06-01-2017, 10:27 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I just did mine a few days ago. Used Motorcraft Mercon V ATF, buttery smooth, but this is my second change in 50K miles. With the track use I'd rather play it safe and change it regularly. I actually measured 3.2 quarts before putting it in and it didn't reach the fill hole and I made sure to empty the container completely. I put my pinky in the hole and the tip touched the oil, so maybe 1/4 inch below the fill hole. I don't think you have to be that exact, just don't let it flow out of the fill hole. I had access to a lift so the car was perfectly level, maybe that's why some people get different results.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:04 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bl817
fill the trans to the top plug. 3.2 quarts. I know an argument is going to ensue but Tremec moved the fill hole on these to make sure you fill till full, not 1/2" lower. 3.2 quarts of your chosen oil will be at the hole. good luck
Not to argue, but I know when I changed the fluid in mine that 3 full quarts plus 4 fluid ounces was barely up to half an inch down from the hole. Not quite another 4 fl oz put the level just above half an inch down, so I called it good (and have done several track days since with no evidence of either under- or over-filling it).

But a couple of thoughts . . .

First off, I suspect that there is some variance in the internal volume from one TR3650 to another. No idea how much, though.

Is it possible that some people actually do have a transmission with the higher fill hole while others have the lower one? If Tremec did in fact move the fill hole, it sure sounds like it was a running production change on their part with none of us knowing when it happened or how many units shipped with the 'early' hole location.

Norm
Old 06-04-2017, 07:43 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

What oil did you use Norm?
Old 09-28-2018, 01:03 PM
Jermski

I know this is a dead beast horse and a massively old thread. But I used this today to change the fluid on my bullitt. I modified it in one way. I didn't do anything with the stick shift. I went and bought a gallon pump weed sprayer to do the transfluid. It's sooooooo much easier. I used royal purple synchromax, and we'll see how it does. Took it around the block. I wasn't experiencing anything wrong before the change, so no rough shifts, grinds etc. The shifter got a little warm in city driving but I'm more than sure it was the catless H pipe causing heat. It goes back cool on the highway. So for the peeps doing this just follow the steps in the original post and instead of running a hose from the inside to the fill plug. Just get a weed sprayer, it's sooooo much easier.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:47 AM
Justin Reeve

Default Now I wish someone would do:

Originally Posted by Argonaut
Sweet write-up, thanks Moose.

Now I wish someone would do:
- Change the oil in rear differential
- Change brake fluid
- Maybe even a change coolant how-to
Then we'd have all the fluid How-Tos covered (Taco Bill already has the oil change covered)

This is is my first post on here. I just filled my transmission this way, through the shifter. Works great, but the fluid runs through the small port hole very slowly lol. I used Mobile 1 ATF, 3 quarts. I’ll let you know the results as I just completed it and was looking up info on here. The process was super simple.

Im trying this because my clutch just started acting up, making some noise. Most likely I’ll replace the clutch, but the fluid was very dirty. I have 130k miles on her now, bought it used.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:44 PM
JScatt

I'm going to be doing the fluid change tomorrow. Anyway, when jacking up the front on a car with manual trans do you guys put the trans in gear or neutral?
Old 09-23-2019, 08:50 AM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JScatt
I'm going to be doing the fluid change tomorrow. Anyway, when jacking up the front on a car with manual trans do you guys put the trans in gear or neutral?
Don't see why trans gear position makes a difference. Jack it up and use drain and pump from below, or drain and fill from above. I bought a little fluid pump (15.00) and did all from below but either way works. Be safe and block wheels and use jackstands