Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A How To: changing manual transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:18 PM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AutoXRacer
Yes, the vehicle does have to be leveled....
I dont know why. The reason for me was simple. When I removed the fill plug using just ramps, no fluid spilled out. I then knew that if I filled it to the top until it began coming out that it would have the same amount that was in there before. I ended up using just shy of 3 quarts on my change. The manual calls for 3.2, so not sure if my logic is correct, it just made sense to me.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:13 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayed53
I dont know why. The reason for me was simple. When I removed the fill plug using just ramps, no fluid spilled out. I then knew that if I filled it to the top until it began coming out that it would have the same amount that was in there before. I ended up using just shy of 3 quarts on my change. The manual calls for 3.2, so not sure if my logic is correct, it just made sense to me.
so if you didnt level it out,then you didnt get all the old stuff out.....and if no fluid ran out of the hole when you removed the plug and you did fill it until it did run out of the hole then sounds like you over filled it.....the drain plug is in the middle of the tranny, if it were at the back of the tranny then id say you were good to go.

im sure its not a huge amount,but without it being level, all the fluid will be in the back of the tranny, so even after you remove the drain plug, your still going to be leaving fluid in the tranny.....it would be like changing your oil with the rear tires up on stands, oil would be sitting in the front of the oil pan....it wouldnt all drain out.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:45 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by itsgeorge
I just talked with a tech at Tremec and got some very interesting info from him. I asked about the fill level Ford recommended not being the same as Tremec advises. The tech stated that all the way up to the fill hole is Tremec's
correct full line. When I asked why Ford says different he said Ford was having shifting issues and by only filling the trans to Fords lower fluid level corrected the shifting issues.[yea right] That was Ford's fix. But Tremec was still advising to add fluid all the way to the fill hole. I then asked about royal purple,No,No Never! He said Mobil 1 atf was ok, but RP would cause trouble in the long run.
Well thats from the horse's mouth.
I still have the RP syncromax in there, no problems. Why didn't you ask the horses mouth why the trans wouldn't shift properly with the correct amount of fluid?
Old 08-07-2010, 05:50 PM
dodger5
1st Gear Member

So can i do the transmission fluid change myself at my house ??? is it that easy or hard to do ? trying to save money but will let pros do if i cant figure it out on my own please help ?
Old 08-07-2010, 08:40 PM
UltraKla$$ic
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dodger5
So can i do the transmission fluid change myself at my house ??? is it that easy or hard to do ? trying to save money but will let pros do if i cant figure it out on my own please help ?
Piece of cake!!! If you don't want to put the transmission fluid in thru the shifter area, a pump can be bought from Walmart that you can use to siphon the transmission fluid out of the jug itself and it pumps it into the transmission.

When I say this is easy to do, it is VERY easy.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:37 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dodger5

did you even bother to read any of this thread? its not rocket science!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:18 PM
yzf29
1st Gear Member

Good on Moosestang- this thread inspired me to "upgrade"my tranny fluid. I have an 08 Bullitt- and I put in the RP 3.2 quarts per the thread. I have now 18K miles and thought a fluid change would do my car, and more importanly ME some good.

I have to be honest- I was skeptical about the " shifts easier, runs cooler" stuff- but - frankly, it does.

Anyway- thanks for the thread- the last tranny I did - I did with a squirt bottle upside down uner the car to fill- so the hose down the hole is a clever idea that works. I put a piece of plywood on the seat with a good cushion of rags and clamped the hose gently with vise grip pliers to keep it from retracting itself back under the car.

THANKS!

Steve
Old 08-08-2010, 11:56 PM
dodger5
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by one eyed *****
did you even bother to read any of this thread? its not rocket science!
i got tried reading it and lazy at some point so i just asked lol

Well im reading and going to do it and going to go with RP since i see no problem or i might go with redline (i think i read that some where in here that said it was very good) so im going to get under the car and check it out cause the pics dont make sense to me at the time. How many bottles of fluid do i need i did not find it on here? i will post the end result when done... off to autozone..

Last edited by dodger5; 08-09-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:18 PM
dodger5
1st Gear Member

ok so here is the list of what i need to buy to do this
1. Three quarts of Royal Purple syncromax (i dont plan of buying four for the .2 of the 3.2 that need unless it is very important, opinions please ?)

2. 3/8 inch inside diameter tubing (3 feet)

Last edited by dodger5; 08-09-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:30 AM
dodger5
1st Gear Member

Moosestang is the best ! . Great write up and thanks, u saved me money. I finally finished it and it took me longer cause im slow and had to buy tools and my oil looked like used motor oil so it was past my trans due date. Two thumbs up for the write up !!!!

Quick Reply: A How To: changing manual transmission fluid