Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

steeda adaptive tuner in 5.0 magazine

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:55 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Default steeda adaptive tuner in 5.0 magazine

got the latest issue of 5.0 mustangs in the mail yesterday and had an article about the steeda Adaptive Performance Calibration. so i'm thinking this is what the hype is about a new device that will set a new benchmark in tuning. it says that the APC can recognize a SC, adapt to different octane, and has adaptive control (whatever that means). it says it senses a SC and increases torque production limits. it reads the knock sensor and takes timing to a safe limit and makes sure power limits dont exceed the hardware capabilities, namely the fuel pump. NA= 400 hp, SC =600 hp, and if you get STEEDA mass air/injector/ inlet/ TB = 700 hp, and no mention of forged internals.

the bottom line is this, the numbers they got w/ whipple HO kit was 468 rwhp/ 446 tq.

now my concerns are: what about the a/f? how do you read that. and what if you have turbo, centri, N2O, headers? can it accomidate for those? there is no picture of a tuner or how they will tune it, return the ECU or what?

it sounds like another SC/tuner package. much like lethal and brenspeed sells. my numbers are slightly lower, but not by much, not enough to temp me to buy this. it seems like another canned tune to me. it doesnt seem adaptive bc it doesnt mention N2O, headers, turbo, etc. we've seen new whipples w/ the ford tune turning out over 500 rwhp, so what makes this better? seems like a marketing scheme to put a limit on the hp/tq saying it increases the limit, and yet if the limit for SC is 600 which would put rwhp at 510, how come the tested rwhp was 468? other sites say whipple HO 500hp+, which is better to me bc out of the box, that's what i got, then upped the tune and got a little more. seems to me its better to aim conservative then do better, than to set a limit and not reach it. and what about internals running 700hp? seems fishy to me.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:24 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: steeda adaptive tuner in 5.0 magazine

Your instincts are right on. A lot of discussion here a month or so ago after the fanboys posted this marvel all across the Mustang-o-sphere.

Then the questions (much like you asked) started. Then a couple of the claims were proven bogus (e.g. change your gear ratio without having to use a tuner to compensate, etc.). Then Steeda says we got "secret stuff" so we can't answer your questions. Then no answeron putting their 'adaptive' tune side-by-side with canned tunes, custom tunes, and/or dyno tunes. Then this only works for Whipple.

Then everybody pretty much lost interest.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:06 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

it was pretty much decided that its like the fuego tuner that has a bunch of canned tunes in the tuner and selects from these preset tunes to match the mods you input. You are right, it was a "breaking news" type of thing that was alot of fluff i would say and got shot down. It will work for some people but i think the majority will stick with what the last 3 years are doing with the companys like brenspeed, Bamachips etc
Old 04-23-2008, 07:16 PM
attridgerm
1st Gear Member

I was interested too. Then I called Steeda and was told the product was on hold awaiting a Ford "release" and they weren't doing any more until that happened (maybe by the end of 4/08). Not much more was explained other than the "release" has something to do with Ford dealers supporting the product after it hits the field. I think I'll wait and see how the first generation of this works out before I invest $400.