Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple and LT's & X

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:47 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Default Whipple and LT's & X

I have always been of the opinion that LT's and exhaust arent really worth the $$ for the hp you get. Getting a blower is way better, but what about after you already have a blower?

How much rwhp would one expect from 1 3/4" LT with an offroad prochamber like below.

I am currently at 420rwhp with a Whipple HO @ 8psi and the canned FRPP tune.

What would I expect with the exhaust and a custom tune @ 8psi? (My thought was 450-460rwhp)

And how about 10psi? (I was thinking 485-495rwhp)

I know the 10 psi pulley and tune would get me to 450rwhp plus, but with more "abuse" to the engine than 8psi and the exhaust.

I would also like peoples opinion on this that I posted in another thread and is the reason for this question.

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405
I am of the opinion that rwhp numbers arent the limiting factor for the motor. I think whatever power you can make at 10psi is the "safe" limit, ie after that you are playing with fire, will you get burned maybe, maybe not but the probability increases.

My example is that if you are running 455rwhp with a bone stock manual trans stang with a Whipple HO and put onfull exhaustand get to 480rwhp, you are at no more danger than you were at 455.

Same car and you get an aggresive tune and get 480 that is riskier, or put an 12psi pulley and get 500 that is more risky still. I hope that makes sense.

In the end if you want FI and plan to live in the 450-500rwhp range you should plan to potentially break a rod.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:56 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple and LT's & X

i have LT's and o/r x pipe and 10 psi, 462 rwhp on the street tune. i think i could squeeze a little more hp out of it. i also have a race tune which i havent tested yet, but the tuner said it leans out a bit w/ the race tune.
i think w/ the ford tune and LT's o/r prochamber it may lean out the a/f, mine was at 12.1, then retune and now its 11.7. but i also think you will pick up 20-25 rwhp w/ the LT's/prochamber. i also agree w/ your other post about limiting factor is the psi and tune. but the setup you want will definately sound better!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:08 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I definitelyagree it'll sound better, I'd be interested in seeing the actual hp gains, if any, and what happens to the A/F too. As far as hp gains here's a copy of a previous post of mine

With a good shorty header and mid pipe with high flow cats you can see 15 hp or more. PM F1fan for his story, and he has no reason to lie. LT's probably 20 hp or so.Bt there are stories of moreand less out there. For example, one of my patients is the co-president of ARH, and I ran into him at a local bar/restaurant. He was trying to tell me that, on my S/C car I could see 50hp! Now this goes against everything I've seen or read on the subject for our S197's. But he kept insisting that on a S/C car he has seen 50hp gains.

WellI didn't have to take his word for it as a friend of mine with a Shelby GT and Shelby/Paxton S/C running meth injection and putting 500hp to the wheels soon after bought a set of ARHLT's and catted X pipe for his car. Prior to that he was runningstock exhaustexcept for Borla Stingers. He kept the Borla Stingers on and replaced everything else as mentioned above and gained.....a whopping 6 hp! Of course my patient kept scratching his head in disbelief but the dyno he used is a local one that is recommended by ARH and it doesn't lie. Now I also know of N/A guys who gained 22 hp with the same setup!

So for me, I wanted to keep an H-pipe, so it was either set of $370 BBK ceramic shorties with which I could keep my cats and H-pipe, or $1300 for a LT and H-pipe setup from ARH. (for LT's I would only use Kooks or ARH) So the decision was easy.

All I can say is, it's best to test and tune, test and tune, and don't believe everything you read or hear. Every car and application is different.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:10 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Agreed, that is why I was asking the question, $1000 dollars plus install to get 5-15rwhp would make me real mad, when I could get alot of other parts that I know will help, like Alum FW, and Alum DS instead.

I know it would make the car sound great but $1k of car funds is hard to come by. I had a prochamber on my last stang and thought it sounded great, but I have bigger fish to fry.

If onederful100is only putting out about 12rwhp more than average (450rwhp) that I dont think it would be worth it.

I should be able to get close to that with just the addition of the 10psi pulley and dyno tune.

I guess I will write this off for the time being unless someone has some good data that counteracts the above gains.

Thanks,
Old 04-24-2008, 04:48 PM
RedStang06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs
Every car and application is different.
Yep, just like us peeps.