Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Great Nesting Location

Old 04-24-2008, 03:15 PM
WingerWV

Default Great Nesting Location

Ok, so I have a 2006 Screaming Yellow GT with Zoomers exhaust with 4" tailpipes. Late this afternoon one of my co-workers comes to me and says "Hey, the birds are building a nest in your tail pipes." Sure enough there was quite a lot of nesting material in both tailpipes. I start it up and some of it comes out. But I had to get a fish-tape and get the rest of it out. Anyone else have this happen? What would happen if you went running down the road not realizing that you had a bunch of grass and twigs in your muffler. Would it all come out eventually or catch on fire? If it caught on fire, would it cause any damage or just burn up and blow out?

Great! Now I gotta check for bird nests every day before leaving work.[:@]
Old 04-24-2008, 03:20 PM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Great Nesting Location

Good thing you are in West Virginia. I f you were in California, you would get in trouble for removing nesting material during mating season. Oh BTW..., don't let PETA know or they will picket your job site.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: WingerWV

Ok, so I have a 2006 Screaming Yellow GT with Zoomers exhaust with 4" tailpipes. Late this afternoon one of my co-workers comes to me and says "Hey, the birds are building a nest in your tail pipes." Sure enough there was quite a lot of nesting material in both tailpipes. I start it up and some of it comes out. But I had to get a fish-tape and get the rest of it out. Anyone else have this happen? What would happen if you went running down the road not realizing that you had a bunch of grass and twigs in your muffler. Would it all come out eventually or catch on fire? If it caught on fire, would it cause any damage or just burn up and blow out?

Great! Now I gotta check for bird nests every day before leaving work.[:@]
Or get some tailpipe cozies made and just put them over the tips every night
Old 04-24-2008, 03:46 PM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

Tailpipe Cozies? They make them? I bet Dan Marino can get Isotoner to make some.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Probably get crispy and blow out. Not sure if it would catch fire since I don't know what the oxygen content in the pipes is at speed. But even if it caught fie inside the pipe it wouldn't get the pipes hotter than they do from the exhaust temps, IMO.

Look at it this way... If you leave work and then get home to find out that one of the birds was still in there, you'd have dinner already cooked...
Old 04-24-2008, 04:54 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

I had this problem in my pickup truck. I doubt it was birds though....more likely mice.

Anyway I discovered the problem after a weird wood burning smell after driving a few minutes. I found the sorce, but it was too late to do anything about it. Nothing ever caught fire. Just stunk for like a month.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:13 AM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

This post...............is funny.
You'll have to get some exhaust and intake covers like an airplane.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:34 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

They don't call it "Wild & Wonderful WV" for nothing....... [8D]
Old 04-25-2008, 07:37 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Even birds love the stang!
Old 04-25-2008, 12:26 PM
WingerWV

Good thing is I'm off until Monday so hopefully they'll find a new place to make a nest by then. Funny it happens at work and not at home. I live on 5 acres of wooded land and haven't had them try that. Goofy. As to covers, what you would you make it out of? Most materials would melt on the hot tailpipe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Great Nesting Location