Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Off to the Man Cave.... (Whipple updateII First drive Impressions)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 04:43 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Off to the Man Cave....

I would only tell them if you want the supercharger insured. If you do call them and tell them you put a $5,000 supercharger on the car and thought they'd like to know, they will probably be required to raise your rates, since they know the value of the car has increased.

ORIGINAL: Fastrack

ORIGINAL: CataclysmGT

Just remember, that if the insurance company isn't okay with mods and you DON'T tell them, they won't have to honor the contract if you get in an accident (your fault).
Read your fine print carefully......
Yeah I'm going to phone them, I just hate insurance companies so much. Rip off artists... [:@] But let's not get off topic here... Back on track.. HEHEHE

Old 04-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Fastrack

HAHAH.. booo.. [:@][:@][:@]BelAir Direct Insurance can **** ***.

I called them,... and they said "Brakes & Tires are okay" but superchargers we will have to delete your car from your policy. "Have you done this modification?.. If so I have to delete your car from your policy" I said no I'm just inquiring she said "We will be calling you in 3 months to have you get an inspection to ensure no modifications have been done to the car". So much for that, I guess if I proceed it's time to start calling other insurance companies my guess however is most up here in Ontario will not allow it. So I guess I'm outta luck.

The reason I decided to call is... If my car was totaled and they saw the supercharger they could just drop me, and I'd be left with a pile of scrap metal.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:49 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Exactly why I asked my insurance company, and exactly why they dropped me. Now I have two days to look for someone else who isn't going to gouge me $3200/year!
The dumb thing is, I can insure a GT500 for less then my modded car.......and yet I am lighter, cheaper, and have better brakes.
Lame-o policies...I tell you.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Fastrack

Exactly why I asked my insurance company, and exactly why they dropped me. Now I have two days to look for someone else who isn't going to gouge me $3200/year!
The dumb thing is, I can insure a GT500 for less then my modded car.......and yet I am lighter, cheaper, and have better brakes.
What is really crazy is, the stock GT already has 300HP and I've never had a single ticket - not even a parking ticket - the supercharger will "just get you there faster", now I guess you could loose control and smash up the car because of it, but you can loose control now.About the GT500 they would just say "well that car comes from Ford designed to take the extra power".. blah blah blah..

The person even had me spell "supercharger" as she had no idea what it was... She said "what is the purpose of this.... Will it cost more than $1500?" I said hell yes, that's why I'm phoning you rip off artists.

I'm going to call the buggers back to tomorrow just to ensure they haven't dropped my car off just for asking!...

So I'm assuming you had the whipple installed and then phoned them ?? [:@][:@] How much were you paying before? Right now I pay about $1600 / year for my '05.

Sorry to all that this thread is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off topic.

I wonder if the MGW shifter will be an acceptable mod... I couldn't imagine even trying to explain that to the door stops on the phone.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:20 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Must be a Canadian thing.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:05 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I called my insurance guy, who is a friend and said what would the do. He said keep all the reciepts and they would cover everything, no change to my policy.

And Moose on the Fuel Trim, I havent been driving my car for over about a month. I hurt my right knee so no driving . Surgery in a few weeks.

I am saving tons of money in gas though