Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Off to the Man Cave.... (Whipple updateII First drive Impressions)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 09:37 PM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

Default Off to the Man Cave.... (Whipple updateII First drive Impressions)

Dude, it finally made it after being backordered for nearly 3 weeks.

Off from work today so I got started about 10am after getting the car up and picking up the Whipple.
Turned the bike lift into a Whipple staging area

Lot of "stuff" in those 2 boxes. So far today everything went pretty well, screw a freakin pinch clamp I know that. Those things are aggravating and the two heater hoses between the head and firewall were a bear, actually ended up with feet in the engine bay so I couldget to those things, not very accommodating for 6'3 fellow. And those fuel lines to the fuel rails wereunbelievable,I'm a little worriedthat I mayhave deformed my passenger rail, I did end up bending the bracket but was able to straighten it back out to match the other one so I hope it's okay. My freakin hands were worn out by the time those lines were on.
I did have to recruit the bride to help get the belton but other than that I've been alone. The blower was a little heavy but by the time I was ready to exhale it was pretty much in the hole and lined up.
Madeit tomounting theIC radiator tonight soby this time tomorrow hopefullyit will be nearing theend.

I dontexpect to get thecalibration tool from FRPP until MondaysinceI didnt get to fill the information out until lunch time today. Sure am looking forward to driving it.

BTW, a special thanks to 07gttom for the time spent to let me know a few tricks and catches in the Whipple instructions, I appreciate those PM's. You too Hammeron! thanks for your help also.

Back to the man cave in the morning, I'll let you know how things go.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:46 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Off to the Man Cave....

congrats
the crew is growing.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:25 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hope the rest goes just as
smoothly for ya aclass

keep the updates coming

can't wait to hear how the first test
drive felt

Old 04-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Ah, I remember putting that fuel line on like it was yesterday. Yes, I invented new swear words for the occasion.

BTW, nice garage! I'm looking at real estate right now (hey, it's a buyer's market) and my biggest "must have" is a big freakin garage. I have a decent garage now, but it just doesn't do the trick. I'm in the process of selling the home I live in, then I'll be moving into something in the 2700 to 3000 sq. ft. range with a double wide garage. Gotta love a slumped real estate market!
Old 04-25-2008, 11:24 PM
07gttom
1st Gear Member

glad to see you started the install. hats off to whipplefor making akit that, IMO, anyone can put together. instructions are awesome and so is the power. keep us updated and enjoy the install
Old 04-25-2008, 11:47 PM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

Grats man, nice man cave btw!
Old 04-26-2008, 12:29 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Congrats......Nice Cave.....Man
Old 04-26-2008, 06:32 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Dude! Where did you get that work table? That thing is ****ing nice.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:00 AM
jlaurens06gt
2nd Gear Member

(green with envy that you 1 have the whipple and 2 can do it yourself)
NIIIICE

Old 04-26-2008, 08:48 PM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

Well, stick a fork in it, done!!

I cannot believe that suckin fuel pump went in that hole.... Dude!
Here is where I started this morning, most of the top end was bolted on and I was to the IC and hoses.

Next was the dreaded fuel pump which went a little better that I expected, wired everythingup, soldered the MAF, TPS, & throttle control motor connections. Oh and by the way my plugs came out okay, a few of them squeeled like pigs but working them back and forth made it easier.
Filled the engine and IC coolant tanks and then took about 15 minutes to gather thoughts and look over everything to make sure I wasnt missing something.
Turned the key and boy was I relieved when it started right up. Let it run long enough to bleed the air from the coolant and topped the reseviors off. Cant wait to drive it!!! But I dont have my calibration tool yet.

One more shot of the finished product

Hats off to Whipple, what a kit! everything fit and nothing was inferior or left in a position that would be considered "on edge", very impressive piece, I hope the test drive will render the same opinion.

I'm beat! If I wasnt such an ugly guy I'd post pictures of my forearms, they look like they've been in the hay field picking up square bales all weekend. It's nice to be done in time enough to enjoy the last day of the weekend andtake a nice relaxing ride on the Harley tomorrow.

I'll let you know how the test drive goes, hopefully Monday.

Quick Reply: Off to the Man Cave.... (Whipple updateII First drive Impressions)