Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Granatelli CAI & Check engine Light - Help?

Old 04-26-2008, 08:09 AM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

Default Granatelli CAI & Check engine Light - Help?

I have a 2008 GT - I installedGranatelli (GMS) CAI & Throttle Body Kit (GT500 + spacer)

I removed the battery cable for like 10 seconds...

My check engine light is on. I checked the code and (i don't remember the exactPP code) but it was inlet air temperature problem. - reset the computer

Called GMS and the tech guy there said that Fords needed 5 mins, GMS recommends 10 mins to reset the computer. and that it might need 3 or 4 start / run cycles to "re-learn" setpoints, etc..

I unhooked the battery cable for 20+ mins and when i hooked it back up, the check engine light was cleared, and i went out and ran it for about 5 miles, starts, stops.. ran like a dream... went to bed a happy camper...

next day - soon as i started it up, check engine light came on.. wasn't able to take it out for a run, but i guess my question is.. these "3 or 4 start/run cycles" does anyone know if the light comes back on in between these ? anyone expereinced this ? i assume it's okay to drive the car with that light on for a few more cycles to see if it re-learns setpoints ?

i'm gonna attempt to call GMS back again come monday, if it hasn't cleared by then, or i figure it out.

another question, would a tune possibly fix this even though GMS claims no tune required ?

thanks guys...

Old 04-26-2008, 09:05 AM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Granatelli CAI & Check engine Light - Help?

Are you using the calibrated MAF and their inline module?
Old 04-26-2008, 09:11 AM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

ORIGINAL: wasvette

Are you using the calibrated MAF and their inline module?
i can only assume yes ? if it came with the CAI that i got from JEGS.. i pulled the stock MAF and tube & box completely out.. and used the jumper harness that came with the GMS CAI to plug into the MAF sensor already installed in the GMS CAI.. is that what you mean ?
Old 04-26-2008, 09:21 AM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Yes, I can see it now that you've added the pics. I had this same CAI set up on my '06 GT before selling and going with the steeda/sct. I liked the concept and wanted to save money. My car would NOT even run when first installed. GMS said it was a bad calibrator piece (that plugs into the MAF). Next day aired a another one and it worked.

IMHO their electronics aren't working well with the '08 but who knows. No slight to Granatelli, but there is a huge difference between their no-tune CAI and any other decent CAI with a tune. But, for a simple mod it is fine. You could also load a tune for the GMS CAI without the jumper piece (it supposedly has good flow).
Good luck!
Old 04-26-2008, 09:39 AM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

Yes, I can see it now that you've added the pics. I had this same CAI set up on my '06 GT before selling and going with the steeda/sct. I liked the concept and wanted to save money. My car would NOT even run when first installed. GMS said it was a bad calibrator piece (that plugs into the MAF). Next day aired a another one and it worked.

IMHO their electronics aren't working well with the '08 but who knows. No slight to Granatelli, but there is a huge difference between their no-tune CAI and any other decent CAI with a tune. But, for a simple mod it is fine. You could also load a tune for the GMS CAI without the jumper piece (it supposedly has good flow).
Good luck!
yeah, i think i was adding that pic when you were replying, sorry about that. wow.. so once you got the new calibrator piece it worked okay ?

well, i kinda was thinking the same thing, when i found out the hard way that their "Fuego" tuner doesn't work with 08's.. thank God for JEG'S no questions askedrefund policy.. lol..

i've ordered a diablosport "predator" tuner that says specifically 2007 - 2008 mustangs.. i hope this is a good one..

but i need to remove the jumper piece to use the tune ? cause without the tune, it eventually goes into electronic throttle ctrl "limp home" mode without that jumper.. (learned that one the hard way too) lol.. runs bank 1 & 2 way too lean.. and some freaky stuff..

i have half a mind to return the GMS CAI and choose another.. how's that steeda working for ya ? =D
Old 04-26-2008, 09:44 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: MeanStang08

Good luck!
yeah, i think i was adding that pic when you were replying, sorry about that. wow.. so once you got the new calibrator piece it worked okay ?

well, i kinda was thinking the same thing, when i found out the hard way that their "Fuego" tuner doesn't work with 08's.. thank God for JEG'S no questions askedrefund policy.. lol..

i've ordered a diablosport "predator" tuner that says specifically 2007 - 2008 mustangs.. i hope this is a good one..

but i need to remove the jumper piece to use the tune ? cause without the tune, it eventually goes into electronic throttle ctrl "limp home" mode without that jumper.. (learned that one the hard way too) lol.. runs bank 1 & 2 way too lean.. and some freaky stuff..

i have half a mind to return the GMS CAI and choose another.. how's that steeda working for ya ? =D
That is the best thing in the entire thread so far. Get a CAI and tune from bama
Old 04-26-2008, 09:57 AM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

ORIGINAL: howarmat

That is the best thing in the entire thread so far. Get a CAI and tune from bama
lol.. bamachips.com <--- this who you're talking about ?

weirdhow their C&L CAI specifies 2005-2007 but yet it's packaged with their Xcalibrator 3for a 2008 this crap is driving me nuts .. some stuff for 07 works with an 08 and some stuff doesn't...

i'll check into em a little more though.. thanks a bunch!
Old 04-28-2008, 06:24 PM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

ORIGINAL: howarmat

bama C&L Intake and Xcalibrator 3 COMBO ordered.. thanks man..

i'm sending the GMS junk back.. 3 e-mails anda 2hr call to tech-support and 5 days of no answer from those guys.. they had their chance.. thier stuff obviously isn't working well with 2008 models.. and i have no patience..

I'm keeping the GT500 TB & spacer though.. i'm hoping this helps "something" with the new C&L Intake& tune.. well, i'm hoping Doug can tune with that still on there anyway, and that i gain some HP or throttle response or something worthy of the4 bills i paid for it.. lol.. and if not, i'll send it back too..
Old 04-28-2008, 07:35 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

tb spacer will be no help at all. Good choice with the bama though. Wait till you feel how well it shifts after the tune. If your auto? Happy with my brenspeed and jlt.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:42 PM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

ORIGINAL: brad281

tb spacer will be no help at all. Good choice with the bama though. Wait till you feel how well it shifts after the tune. If your auto? Happy with my brenspeed and jlt.
yeah, i've read where the spacer doesn't do anything.. i just wander if they're (GMS)using it as an adapter to get the GT500 TB to fit up to the GT intake ?

thanks.. i think i'm finally starting to feel good about it.. can't wait to get it on..and can't wait to take the GMS off.. and no, it's a manual..

did you notice any power increase on the lower RPM range ? (2000 or so)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Granatelli CAI & Check engine Light - Help?