Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Gears? ( I know...overkill subject)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:20 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Default Gears? ( I know...overkill subject)

Hey guys; i've been doing research on gears for my 06 gt. My gt is a stick shift and has a frpp xpipe/pypes cat back system. I'm looking into gears to swape out my stock 3.55 gears.

I came really close to buying frpp 4.10 but my friend (who been modding stangs, and is a mec) says he think since my car is a DD and i do drive it on the highway that 4.10 are too short of a gear ratio where i'll be doing like 3g @ 80mph he said.

So i guess my questions are

-should i get 3.73 or will that not matter from 3.55?

- how does this effect my gas?

- would 4.10 be too much on the highway @80mph?

-My other problem is at the track im crossing the line @3rd gear redline, so i just would think 4.10 would be easier on my car at the track. NO/yes?
- what gears do u guys have and is it ur DD?
Old 04-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Gears? ( I know...overkill subject)

I have 3.73's now, very pleased with them. Had 3.55's Stock....went to 4.10's, but too much gear for the type of interstate driving I was doing. BTW your friend is right, 80 mph = 3k rpm's
Old 04-26-2008, 09:20 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

just drove a new bullit the other day, had 3.75s and it got up and went. i have 4.10s in my hobby stock circle track car and they seem to be way too low for any kind of good mileage on the street.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:57 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bluestar

I have 3.73's now, very pleased with them. Had 3.55's Stock....went to 4.10's, but too much gear for the type of interstate driving I was doing. BTW your friend is right, 80 mph = 3k rpm's

what rpm are u at 80 w/ the 3.73?

Have you taken ur car to the track w/ the 3.73; what gear/rpm are crossing the line at?
Old 04-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Gryphon
1st Gear Member

I also had a question and Im sorry to sort of hijack your thread here....

For a FI setup (turbo), which gear setup is best for that? I figured I would sneak my question in there too....

Thanks
Old 04-27-2008, 12:33 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

For a FI setup (turbo), which gear setup is best for that? I figured I would sneak my question in there too....

Thanks
taller gears with more boost.

shorter gears with less boost.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:07 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

Thanks
From what i heard, its the same as said above. More boost; taller gear. I was talking to a guy w/ a modd gt500 running high 10's who got ride of his 4.10's because he had to start shifting into 5th, which as we know is a over drive gear.

but for guys like me who are NA and only plain on doing minor modds plus it's my DD; it's a lil more tricky for which gears to go w/.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:18 PM
mustard05
2nd Gear Member

WELL I haVE S/C WITH ABOUT 500 RWHP AND WITH MY 4.10 GEARS I LOVE it. sorry about the caps. anyway if you start with a 3.55 then going to a 3.73it might not feel like much, and with the 4.10 gears its not as bad as some think its going to be, but everycar is different. personally i think i made the best decision, and it wasnt that bad in traffic either

what ever you decide let me know, i got a hook up at frpp and i can save you a hundred bucks easily of the gears you decide on getting, just let me know.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:29 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustard05

WELL I haVE S/C WITH ABOUT 500 RWHP AND WITH MY 4.10 GEARS I LOVE it. sorry about the caps. anyway if you start with a 3.55 then going to a 3.73it might not feel like much, and with the 4.10 gears its not as bad as some think its going to be, but everycar is different. personally i think i made the best decision, and it wasnt that bad in traffic either

what ever you decide let me know, i got a hook up at frpp and i can save you a hundred bucks easily of the gears you decide on getting, just let me know.
I have no question that 4.10 would be best for the track; however, I question how good they are for a DD. I travel allot on the expressway (about 80) and I wonder how the reliability of my motor would be affected by 4.10s. I do believe 3.73 would still maintain good reliability on my motor, at least one would think that. And thanks for the hook up but I all ready have a friend that has a hook up and he’s all ready mad at me because I order my pypes system from lethal performance (great customer service btw). Still throwing it up in the air though.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:50 PM
mustard05
2nd Gear Member

4.10 are great, but 3.73 would do you justice, if you have someone to install them at a good price, or youll prob feel you wasted your money in the end, considering you are on 3.55 now

Quick Reply: Gears? ( I know...overkill subject)