Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

how does my mod list rate up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:03 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: how does my mod list rate up?

ORIGINAL: Texotic

keep in mind your long-term goals. if you're going to go s/c, don't get UDP's, you'll have to take them off later. also since it's an auto and you plan on getting an s/c, don't get gears lower than 3.73 or else you'll run out of gear way too quick. i'd take the money from the UDP's and use that to get some adjustable LCA's to put that future power down and adjust your rear axle for the new DS.
Exactly, if you're planning in getting FI dont get over 3.73 gears and the TC get it as a 3,500 stall at the most.
UDP's .... meh not even worth the 200 bucks + instalation IMO [&:]

I got to the point to be fully bolt on .... now i'm just saving $$$ for a whipple ... because bolt ons are NOT enough lol
Old 04-30-2008, 11:39 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

3800 is a high stall for a street car.

If I were you I would figure what you want to do performance wise, bolt ons, FI (inlcuding what kit), and then call a really good trans place like Lentech. Talk to a tech about your parts and plan and what you use the car for. Have him tell you the right stall.

Trust me, that is the best way to do it.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:44 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

..getting FI next spring and I need power NOW.

By then I'll have more then enough money for the SC,but for now I want some sort of
fun out of the car.I am thinking then just I/T,gears and an axel back.

I thought about 4:10s for now then swapping out to 3:73s when I get the SC,
that way - because of the 4:10s I might not even need a TC and still get plenty
of torque off the line...

From what I have read so far though,with FI- the stock TC and gears are just right
with that much power (because of traction reasons)
Old 04-30-2008, 12:17 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

..just for reference,but are long tube headers 50 state legal? and are these intakes carb approved?

will I get shiet for having no mufflers?

forgot about all the legality issues of some of these mods...[&:]
Old 04-30-2008, 01:42 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

4.10's on an auto? I would look into 3.73s or 3.90s, 4.10 may be too steep for an auto. Do you have any plans on upgrading the suspension?
LCAs and that rear swarr bar thingy..maybe motor mounts.

I have PMed a few people with 4:10s (auto)and the ones that have them seem to love em...
Old 04-30-2008, 01:49 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

I think the list you stated is fine because in a way it "prepares" the car for the supercharger... (spydershaft and TC) but I would also stick with 3.73 gears...
Old 04-30-2008, 04:39 PM
07BOSSGT_S197
2nd Gear Member

I can tell you right now if you LT headers tranny work will be a nightmare. And you'll have to upgrade. Like what others have said PLAN the upgrades according to ease of installation vs. power gains vs. cost vs long term goals. From what I know LTs are not CARB legal. Whipple has a CARB legal blower now the 3.4 I believe on the second gen set ups. And don't go any higher than 3.73 for gears. Ripping out mods for other mods tends to get pricy and the car will end up on jack stands longer than it is on the road. Just some advice from someone who's been there and dealt with it.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:50 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07BOSSGT_S197

I can tell you right now if you LT headers tranny work will be a nightmare. And you'll have to upgrade. Like what others have said PLAN the upgrades according to ease of installation vs. power gains vs. cost vs long term goals. From what I know LTs are not CARB legal. Whipple has a CARB legal blower now the 3.4 I believe on the second gen set ups. And don't go any higher than 3.73 for gears. Ripping out mods for other mods tends to get pricy and the car will end up on jack stands longer than it is on the road. Just some advice from someone who's been there and dealt with it.
thanks for the words of wisdom...

on that note,I just ordered the C&L racer intake/tuner kit and race pipe muffler deletes.
Pretty sure I'll get 4:10s and suspension mods next and keep it that way for awhile,
might as well save up for the FI and keep it simple til then without going overboard
on mods.This way there is plenty of get up without spending too much.

I know people have said that 4:10s are too much for daily driving but I think I'll be fine,
plus the only FRRP gears I can find are either 3:73s or the 4:10s..couldn't find 3:90s
or maybe I didn't look hard enough..
Old 04-30-2008, 09:08 PM
07BOSSGT_S197
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stealth_GT

on that note,I just ordered the C&L racer intake/tuner kit and race pipe muffler deletes.
Pretty sure I'll get 4:10s and suspension mods next and keep it that way for awhile,
might as well save up for the FI and keep it simple til then without going overboard

I know people have said that 4:10s are too much for daily driving but I think I'll be fine,
plus the only FRRP gears I can find are either 3:73s or the 4:10s..couldn't find 3:90s
As far as the 3.90s go, I had em. Motive gears and they whined worse than a dying dog. 4.10s will deff get you up in speed faster, if/when you go FI they're almost pointless. Most gear installs run $500-800 and doing it twice is kind of ummm a money waste IMHO. But when you need speed now, higher gears when you're N/A will do that. I'd go with the FRPP 3.73s you'd still have that happy medium FWIW.
Good luck on the mods!!
Old 04-30-2008, 09:18 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stealth_GT

As far as the 3.90s go, I had em. Motive gears and they whined worse than a dying dog. 4.10s will deff get you up in speed faster, if/when you go FI they're almost pointless. Most gear installs run $500-800 and doing it twice is kind of ummm a money waste IMHO. But when you need speed now, higher gears when you're N/A will do that. I'd go with the FRPP 3.73s you'd still have that happy medium FWIW.
Good luck on the mods!!
I am easily amused by speed lol.

on that note,I am pretty sure the In/T, muffer delete race pipes and gears will keep me
happy for quite some time..I might not even get FI til later later if I am satisfied with the
results.

I just got the car and though it's not exactly a rocket just yet..I am still pretty happy with
it's day to day performance in and out of town and on the highway.

From what I have read so far on the mods I'll be getting..my first and lasting impression will
be like...

WOW- HOLY $HIT!~

Quick Reply: how does my mod list rate up?