Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

'Whistling' sound coming from car

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

Default 'Whistling' sound coming from car

I was hoping some of you could help me figure out a noise coming from my car. The best way to describe it would be a whistle (something like the sound a turbo or a supercharger makes as it winds up). It only does it in the 1800-2200 rpm range in 1st and maybe 2nd gear. Also, I only hear it on the right side of my car. I do have an automatic, so I wasn't sure if it may be a normal sound or maybe something wrong. Other people have heard the sound before, so I know I am not crazy [8D]. [/align][/align]One idea I came up with is a bad catalytic converter because I get a real bad sulfur smell when I start my car and when I get home after driving a while.I am guessing it is either the transmission or my cats because I have isolated the sound to that area. Hopefully I can figure out what is wrong before my warranty ends.[/align]
Old 04-30-2008, 07:29 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 'Whistling' sound coming from car

my car does the same thing..08 CS/GT auto.

it does sound like a supercharger but really faint..don't think there is anything wrong
being that it drives just fine and no problems.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:32 PM
craezjo
2nd Gear Member

same problem sounds like a whine of a supercharger but much quieter. my car also seems to bog when i shift to 3rd.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:36 AM
acdc163
2nd Gear Member

Get some SLP loudmouths or boomtubes and problem will be fixed[8D]
Old 05-01-2008, 12:37 AM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

Well, it looks like this sound is coming from both manuals and autos. that makes me think it is not really a transmission problem... my guess would be something exhaust related. driveshaft maybe? [/align][/align]It is not a really loud sound (it doesn't bother me when I am driving). I really only hear it while driving with the windows down and radio off. I'm just hoping there is nothing wrong, otherwise, I will use that sound to scare away ricers (make them think i am F/I [8D]) I do have GTA exhaust, though. I have heard boomtubes and other exhaust like it, but I didn't want the drone (had an 02 v6 with straight duals before this car; drone drove me crazy).[/align]
Old 05-01-2008, 02:19 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

it sounds like some sort of valves are opening and closing during acceleration...

Old 05-01-2008, 02:27 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I get a whistle as well
Old 05-01-2008, 02:34 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Does it do it with your foot off the gas? Mine has a faint whistle, but not when I'm just coasting with no throttle.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:50 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Does it do it with your foot off the gas? Mine has a faint whistle, but not when I'm just coasting with no throttle.
Me? I always have a very faint whistle. However, I rode in a non-intercooled whippled GT with 6psi, and the whistle was not present. Maybe it isn't as noticable with the 8 lb. pulley? (Sorry about the thread hijack.)
Old 05-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

I can understand a whistle sound coming from those of you with Whipples , but I don't have a supercharger or turbo. It does not make the sound with my foot off the gas; only under light acceleration.Any rpms above or below the 1800-2200 range does not make the sound. I did take it to the dealer where I bought my car a few months ago; they did hear the sound, but they thought it wasn't 'normal' (the tech was thinking exhaust). They wern't much help fixing it though [>:].[/align][/align]btw, Nice pic in your sig moosestang[/align]

Quick Reply: 'Whistling' sound coming from car