Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Camshaft position Sensor CEL = Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Default Camshaft position Sensor CEL = Alternator?

I just finished installing my stereo this weekend and 30 mins into my drive to work I got a CEL. Pulled the code and its for the CPS.

I think I read somewhere that this is some how related to the alternator going bad, like a TSB about it.

Is this possible?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Camshaft position Sensor CEL = Alternator?

I found the TSB. It is definately related to the alternator. I just finished taking my CAI out and retuning it to stock (took less than 10 mins ). Now the issue is getting the CEL to come back. Once that happen's I'll hide the 0 guage coming out of the fire wall and I should be ready to drop her off at Ford.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:25 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bmr4life
I just finished installing my stereo this weekend and 30 mins into my drive to work I got a CEL. Pulled the code and its for the CPS.

I think I read somewhere that this is some how related to the alternator going bad, like a TSB about it.

Is this possible?
Hi Bmr4life,

Take your tuner and clear the CEL codes. Turn off EVERYTHING and go drive the car a bitno CELlight? O.K. now park with the engine running and turn on EVERYTHING, lights fogs, stereo AC onmax etc. The light should go onpretty soon. If this is the case you need to take the car in andbring a copy of the TSB for the dealership. They all have access to them but don't want to look them up and willfrequently deny any such thing exists. My car was 2 days out of warranty and they wouldnot waranty replace the alternator even though there was a known problem with the alternators and a TSB and my car has the problem. This is typical of American car dealers and one of the reasons I have almost never purchased anAmerican car. AnyGerman or Japanese dealership would have simply told me to leave the car and they would cover it under waranty.

HTH!

Old 05-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

ORIGINAL: Bmr4life

Is this possible?
Hi Bmr4life,

Take your tuner and clear the CEL codes. Turn off EVERYTHING and go drive the car a bitno CELlight? O.K. now park with the engine running and turn on EVERYTHING, lights fogs, stereo AC onmax etc. The light should go onpretty soon. If this is the case you need to take the car in andbring a copy of the TSB for the dealership. They all have access to them but don't want to look them up and willfrequently deny any such thing exists. My car was 2 days out of warranty and they wouldnot waranty replace the alternator even though there was a known problem with the alternators and a TSB and my car has the problem. This is typical of American car dealers and one of the reasons I have almost never purchased anAmerican car. AnyGerman or Japanese dealership would have simply told me to leave the car and they would cover it under waranty.

HTH!

Thanks for the tip. I just (like 10 mins ago) got back from dropping the car off. I spoke with the guy working on it and told him about the TSB. He agreed with me and said he heard about it but hadn't worked on one before. Said there was another guy he knew chasing around a camshaft CEL only to figure out it was the charging system.

Oh, I had already returned the car to stock (CAI and tune taken off) and was able to get the CEL to come back just by bumping my stereo while on the freeway. I disconnected the stereo power wire from the batt, but didn't try hiding it. Hopefully they won't try and say that my stereo was the culprit and they won't fix the problem.