Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Added Long Tubes now it's way too loud

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 08:02 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Default Added Long Tubes now it's way too loud

I had MACs on my stock exhaust and it was just about right. I just added JBA Long Tube Headers
and JBA Catted H and the MACS are now way too loud, I put the stock Mufflers back on to quiet
down the car. Well it's been a few weeks abd I am board with the quiet sound. I want to step it up a
notch or 2. so what muflers would do that?
I am thinking Magnaflows, GTA's or pypes
I am looking for a low rumble not too loud but noticable.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:16 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Added Long Tubes now it's way too loud

i have the gta's and i don't think
they will be loud enough for you,
they are only slightly louder than
stock

Old 05-05-2008, 08:45 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

Suprised with the catted H it's still too loud. I had the Pypes mid-muffler setup with stock H & cats on mine. Sounded good, but I wanted LT's. I'm old school. LT's & straight H(no cats) with the mid-mufflers was way too much for me as well. I only kept that on for 1 week. I now have the LT's, straight H,factory over-axle & GTA's. It's quite a bit louder than stock, but newhere as loud as with the mid-mufflers. I do get a raspy tone above 3-5K but it doesn't bother me. What I've always likes about the GTA's is NO drone. Been there, I'll take the raspy tone over drone anyday.
Have a few vids on youtube, here's the last with my current setup;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJI96jNV-84
Old 05-05-2008, 09:44 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aircare84

Suprised with the catted H it's still too loud. I had the Pypes mid-muffler setup with stock H & cats on mine. Sounded good, but I wanted LT's. I'm old school. LT's & straight H(no cats) with the mid-mufflers was way too much for me as well. I only kept that on for 1 week. I now have the LT's, straight H,factory over-axle & GTA's. It's quite a bit louder than stock, but newhere as loud as with the mid-mufflers. I do get a raspy tone above 3-5K but it doesn't bother me. What I've always likes about the GTA's is NO drone. Been there, I'll take the raspy tone over drone anyday.
Have a few vids on youtube, here's the last with my current setup;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJI96jNV-84
The Catted H by JBA are High Flow Cats, I needCats in VA for emissions inspection. (ODB2) so we need all 4 O2 Sensors working
Old 05-05-2008, 11:00 PM
SuperSonic05
3rd Gear Member

I have the JBA L/T headers and Catted H mid pipe with the Pypes mid muffler and they were too loud. So far I've heard a lot of good things about the Magnaflows and GTA's. I think I going to try the Magnaflows after I get my mm sold
Old 05-06-2008, 12:53 AM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

Yeah , you are stuck with a quieter muffler to keep the level in check, I got SLP LT headers and MAC axelbacksand it is loud but very deep, not obnoxious SLP loudmouth or O/R pipe loud but you can hear me coming !!! lol

Here is a clip with my set-up, probably too loud for you, I say go with the GTAs or Magnaflows.
http://www.houndbite.com/?houndbite=848

Old 05-06-2008, 05:30 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

expensive but worth it IMO - Corsa

low rumbe sound.... scream @ WOT look great

mine @ the track with stock exhaust

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-NsibYRhMTE

http://j.mustangcars.com/J/stang/svt...12.685-110.wmv

Old 05-06-2008, 11:13 AM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

What about adding resonators? I added them to my obnoxiously loud Bassani SS Race/Pypes O/R H pipe set up and it is still a deep rumble but not crazy loud.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:33 AM
headinjury6

I have JBL long tubes with cut out cats to Xpipe back into magnaflow... it is VERY loud but you can just feather the gas and it goes stealth its kinda weird... if your worried about the cops, been rididng around with mine now for just over a week and the cops havnt seemd to care much.
BTW Magnaflow Sounds good.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:15 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

I have the magnaflows with longtubes and a catless x. It has an amazing sound when you are at WOT or just gasing it a little. It still stays quite though when at an idle. Its very "sleeperish" for our cars although there really isnt anything sleeper about our S197's... Again, people have been asking for clips. I just recorded the video and I am running into trouble uploading it onto youtube. Its only a 21 second clip, but I will post a thread once I get it up.

Quick Reply: Added Long Tubes now it's way too loud