Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple pulley question & install update

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 06:37 AM
RF2.1
2nd Gear Member

Default Whipple pulley question & install update

Started work on installing the Whipple yesterday. Got about halfway through the instruction book, and that included a little extra work in removing the radiator. Everything is going smoothly so far - no problems at all yet. All 8 spark plugs came out just fine, no breaks or trouble. Followed the latest TSB on spark plug removal to the letter (my car has 18,100+ miles on it). The only real issue I have so far are the instructions. They are very well detailed (mostly), but the order of things seems alittle screwy sometimes. Outside of that, this kit is very well engineered, to say the least. Pics and a more detailed install review once I get everything done.

Now, my question: what do you torque the supercharger pulley bolts to? Need to swap out the 10psi pulley for the 8psi one.

David
Old 05-09-2008, 06:49 AM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple pulley question & install update

Good to hear RF2.1! Enjoy the rest of the install.
I'd be interested in your 8psi pulley setup, what size is on the s/c and which idler doyou change?

Good luck and have fun.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:34 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

To put on the 8psi pulley, you can use the same belt and all the pulleys required for the 10 psi pulley.

RF -

I havent swapped since I had mine installed but I know moose has switched back and forth a couple of times. He should know.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:58 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Sorry, i was at work.

17 ft lbs as per whipples instructions.

As for the idler pulleys. If you put the 100mm idler on the passenger side, then you may have to put the 90mm back on in order to run the 8psi pulley. The belt might be to close to itself otherwise. If you are starting out with the 8psi pulley, then just don't remove the passenger side 90mm idler. Skip to the next step.

You've seen the instructions online right?

http://www.users.qwest.net/~cookpaging/whipple.pdf

They are a little better than the paper ones that came with my kit.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:44 AM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Sorry, i was at work.

17 ft lbs as per whipples instructions.

As for the idler pulleys. If you put the 100mm idler on the passenger side, then you may have to put the 90mm back on in order to run the 8psi pulley. The belt might be to close to itself otherwise. If you are starting out with the 8psi pulley, then just don't remove the passenger side 90mm idler. Skip to the next step.
I agree with you Moose, I had emailed Whipple to try and get confirmation but they havent replied yet.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:48 AM
07gttom
1st Gear Member

according to the instructions, strange, on p71, it says to use the 100mm pulley for the 3.625 pulley. on p36, the belt diagram says to use the stock pulley... its a toss up i guess. i have the 8psi pulley on and i am using the 100mm pulley and this is how much play i have on my thump_rrr tensioner

Old 05-10-2008, 04:24 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

How close is the belt to itself where the 100mm idler is at? That was my concern, there wasn't much room between the belt coming off the sliding idler and the 100mm idler. You definately do not need the 100mm idler with the 3.6 inch pulley.

ORIGINAL: 07gttom

according to the instructions, strange, on p71, it says to use the 100mm pulley for the 3.625 pulley. on p36, the belt diagram says to use the stock pulley... its a toss up i guess. i have the 8psi pulley on and i am using the 100mm pulley and this is how much play i have on my thump_rrr tensioner

Old 05-10-2008, 08:13 AM
RF2.1
2nd Gear Member

Got everything installed yesterday, as far as the Whipple goes. Going to come back and do the catch can later, as it a very tight fit and I didn't want to rush anything. Finishing up the gauges today, and will crank her for the first time since the big change. More to come.

David

P.S. Yes, the online version of the instructions is better than the paper version. Though the instructions are very comprehensive, they are sometimes about as clear as mud. Whipple needs to hire and editor to go over that stuff.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:07 PM
07gttom
1st Gear Member

clearance is good
Old 05-10-2008, 03:56 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

yep that is good and I just remembered my problem. I have the 90mm idler on the tensioner. I swapped the tensioner pulley for the stock idler pulley as per whipples suggest for the 10psi pulley. With the 3.6 pulley, 100mm idler and 90mm tensioner, there wasn't much clearance between the belt.

ORIGINAL: 07gttom

clearance is good

Quick Reply: Whipple pulley question & install update