Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

500 hp HO Whipple Destroys engines!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 04:19 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

Default 500 hp HO Whipple Destroys engines!!!!

Last night I found out that a relative works for Ford and can get all parts close to 1/2 off.

Of course, I start drooling. I call a random Ford dealership today and start chatting with a parts rep. I inquired as to the 500HP Whipple HO.

He started in on me and said that I may want to stick with the non-IC version because the HO will put significant pressure on my bottom end, and will severely decrease engine life - throw bearings, rods, blow gaskets, etc... He also said that the system was designed for 93 octane, and while you could tune for 91 (I live in CA and 93= unavailable) one would have to purchase the highest quality 91 (not Costco, ARCO, Al's gasoline, etc..)

He said that applying that much HP that Whipple HO will break something in 20K miles!!!!!!!!!!!

He said for daily driving applicatons it may be best to run less HP. He then said that the 400HP non-IC kit is still plenty powerful but puts less stress on the engine.

This may ring true to a degree, it is a fact that the more HP you have the more engine stress. But what is the truth? Only those whipple HO owners with over 20K miles can be the judge.

HOW MANY MILES DO YOU HAVE ON YOUR WHIPPLE HO?

The rep may have been right, he may have been overly cautious, or he may not know much (unlikely).

So while I am sure that most of you will defend your Whipple to the grave, what say you to this Ford Rep's characterization of WHipple HOs?

Engine Killer or Engine Friend.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:26 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 500 hp HO Whipple Destroys engines!!!!

hmmmmmm.........while its undeniable that 100 more hp puts more stress on the engine, i think its really beneficial to have an intercooler (to help put less stress on the engine). maybe the best option would be to get the H.O. kit and "pulley it down" a bit.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:28 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

be safe and go with the saleen...

you even get a free night in a hotel,
if you have brenspeed install it
Old 05-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Wow, so the guy told you that increasing cylinder pressure reduces engine life? Lol. It's expected bud, although to pop that sucker in under 20K miles would require a serious leadfoot.

Lol @ hammy.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:46 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

not using the right octane gas maybe??
Old 05-09-2008, 04:52 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

that was a major selling point, for
oneboosted member

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

Lol @ hammy.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:57 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Having the intercooler will reduce inlett temp and help to aviod problems. I got the HO and on the Auto it's 8psi. Just get the larger pully to reduce HP if you don't want that much HP, but definatly go HO because it's safer and cheaper to buy it all together than to add it later. I would check with someone else. I almost went non-intercooled and it was highly recomemded to gowith the HO kit and keep my HP where it's at. 430rwhp 410rwtq
Old 05-09-2008, 05:12 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

+1
Old 05-09-2008, 05:19 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

can't you keep the factory warranty with one of the whipples? i know the saleen and the roush blowers both keep the warranty if you have it installed by a certified technician.

also, the saleen blower is an EXCELLENT option, and yes, getting it from brenspeed is a must.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:57 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Was it a ford racing dealer? I know most parts guys are good at ordering parts for customers and mechanics and they are experts in that light. They, however, are not experts in the research and development of frpp's and what is safe on a stock block. Ford would not have put it's name on a whipple if it was a motor timebomb.

ORIGINAL: crazystylin

Last night I found out that a relative works for Ford and can get all parts close to 1/2 off.

Of course, I start drooling. I call a random Ford dealership today and start chatting with a parts rep. I inquired as to the 500HP Whipple HO.

He started in on me and said that I may want to stick with the non-IC version because the HO will put significant pressure on my bottom end, and will severely decrease engine life - throw bearings, rods, blow gaskets, etc... He also said that the system was designed for 93 octane, and while you could tune for 91 (I live in CA and 93= unavailable) one would have to purchase the highest quality 91 (not Costco, ARCO, Al's gasoline, etc..)

He said that applying that much HP that Whipple HO will break something in 20K miles!!!!!!!!!!!

He said for daily driving applicatons it may be best to run less HP. He then said that the 400HP non-IC kit is still plenty powerful but puts less stress on the engine.

This may ring true to a degree, it is a fact that the more HP you have the more engine stress. But what is the truth? Only those whipple HO owners with over 20K miles can be the judge.

HOW MANY MILES DO YOU HAVE ON YOUR WHIPPLE HO?

The rep may have been right, he may have been overly cautious, or he may not know much (unlikely).

So while I am sure that most of you will defend your Whipple to the grave, what say you to this Ford Rep's characterization of WHipple HOs?

Engine Killer or Engine Friend.

Quick Reply: 500 hp HO Whipple Destroys engines!!!!