Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

JDM vs Brenspeed vs Dyno tune.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Wanderlai
1st Gear Member

Default RE: JDM vs Brenspeed vs Dyno tune.

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

but I see so many guys with Saleen SC'ers running canned tunes from either Brenspeed or JDM.
How do you know they're 'canned'?
I don't KNOW that everyone is running a canned Brenspeed tune on their Saleen SC'er setups but I would guess that most folks that don't live close to Brenspeeds shop get their XCal ordered with a canned tune. Maybe I'm way off and everyones running dyno tunes and thats what I'd like to know. Which is the better way to go? So far it seems that a custom dyno tune is the better choice.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:31 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Yes, again, with a S/C a custom tune would be your best bet as long as the tuner meets those 2 criteria i mentioned.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:18 PM
TheBlackPearl
2nd Gear Member

whats the average cost of a custom dyno?
Old 05-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Wanderlai
1st Gear Member

Fastlane Motorsports here in N.C will be doing my install and dyno tune. They are highly recommended in and around the N.C. area.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

imo - "canned" is the tune that comes from the S/C company... if its from a tuning shop it's not canned - it's spec'd to your car

but as mentioned Dyno Tune is the best...

BTW - Dan @ Pro-Dyno (South Carolina) is a top notch guy if you want a second local place to give you a tune.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:09 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

whats the average cost of a custom dyno?
$350-$600.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:33 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

When I went to Brenspeed for my install, the Dyno tuning was included in the install price (IF you go there and have them install it). Took Brent three pulls before he was satisfied with the numbers, and the changes made weren't big changes. The base tune he wrote and loaded (that he would have mailed to me) would have been good, he was only able to squeeze 5 HP more out of it, it was that close to perfect. For the record, the blower is the only mod I have, so there wasn't a lot of other guesswork involved.

Now, as for which upgrade kit to buy - if you don't yet have the blower, you don't need to get the blower THEN the upgrade kit. Look on Brenspeed's site, they sell the stage two including the blower all as one kit. It's cheaper to do it this way, as you can see by comparing the #'s on the site.

For the record, most people, including Brenspeed, will tell you that a 3.4" (Brent's stage 3) is about as far as they'd comfortably go on a stock bottom end. Me? The stage 2 is plenty for me on a stock bottom-end (3.6"). Anything more and I'd start to be worried, and likely wouldn't beat it as often, just out of fear. At this power level (I could be wrong), I really don't think you're going to notice an extra 20-30 HP anywhere but on a timeslip anyway..

And yes, I never did hear ANYONE from Brenspeed say "If you go with JDM...". I was simply exaggerating, in so much that all businesses are out to make money. While Brent most likely would never say that (I've certainly never heard him, Dave, or Seth say anything like that), it was simply the point I was making. Every vendor out there, regardless the product, will always want to tell you why their product is better than the competition's product. It's good marketing, it's good business. You're best to get an independent opinion, one from someone who has no monetary interest in the product you choose. Also for the record, I've only ever used Brent's tunes, so I can't make an accurate comparison. All I can tell you is that I'm perfectly happy with what I have from Brent, and I'd reccommend them to anyone without hesitation.