Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Launching advice??

Old 05-10-2008, 01:28 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Default Launching advice??

Ok, so I have very little seat time in actual RACING..

Today, a friend caught up with me and we went out to some BACK country roads.. He has a GTO that's worked over, fairly powerful, but an automatic. So we raced twice, once from a dig, and once from a 30 roll.

The dig, he got up on a brake stand and let it fly, whilst I spun damn near the WHOLE way through first (I think I launched at ~3k?), and part of second as well.. Needless to say, that didn't end well for me.

The roll, I was in second @ 30 mph, and we just stood on em. Got to damn near 110 by the time I grabbed 4th, and then I shut it down almost right after. I had him by about two busses when we shut down.

And yes, the stock brakes SUCK when coming down from those speeds. I think I warped the front rotors by not being gentle enough with them.. Oh well, one more reason for the big brake kit..

So, the point of this - what RPM should I be launching at? Is it more of a "slip the clutch" kind of thing, or just dump the clutch? I'm riding on 285/30/20 Nitto 555's (street tire, not the DR - yet).

Any advice is more than welcome. The guy was a REAL good sport, and didn't give me any **** about anything, especially since he knew it was all in my launch, not in the car. He found that out quick when we went from a roll.

One other thing - I know everyone's gonna say "you don't get traction with 20's".. But, I would like to increase my traction. Today, getting on the expressway, I turned onto an empty on-ramp in first. Stabbed it, and the tires just broke loose, caught up towards 5k somewhere, then broke loose again grabbing second @ ~6100 (shifted HARD, I was beating on her pretty good), then third just barked, and I was at 90 merging into traffic. The rear end didn't slide in either direction, just spun the tires. Would LCA's or relo brackets or any of that stuff help me keep it planted? I'm planning to get 305/35/20 DR's when I wax this set of 555's (car never sees rain).. I'm thinking that would help too, right?

*sigh* if it's not one thing, it's another...
Old 05-10-2008, 09:26 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Launching advice??

If you are launch at only 3k, I would suggest slipping the clutch, I launch at around 4k at the track on DR's and still need to slip the clutch a little, just to get going with baking the tires.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:03 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: exx1976

Ok, so I have very little seat time in actual RACING..

Today, a friend caught up with me and we went out to some BACK country roads.. He has a GTO that's worked over, fairly powerful, but an automatic. So we raced twice, once from a dig, and once from a 30 roll.

The dig, he got up on a brake stand and let it fly, whilst I spun damn near the WHOLE way through first (I think I launched at ~3k?), and part of second as well.. Needless to say, that didn't end well for me.

The roll, I was in second @ 30 mph, and we just stood on em. Got to damn near 110 by the time I grabbed 4th, and then I shut it down almost right after. I had him by about two busses when we shut down.

And yes, the stock brakes SUCK when coming down from those speeds. I think I warped the front rotors by not being gentle enough with them.. Oh well, one more reason for the big brake kit..

OMG! YOU SHOULD SEE HOW MAD I GET EVERY TIME I HAVE TO SLOW DOWN AFTER CROSSING THE LINE AT THE TRACK...

So, the point of this - what RPM should I be launching at? Is it more of a "slip the clutch" kind of thing, or just dump the clutch? I'm riding on 285/30/20 Nitto 555's (street tire, not the DR - yet).

Any advice is more than welcome. The guy was a REAL good sport, and didn't give me any **** about anything, especially since he knew it was all in my launch, not in the car. He found that out quick when we went from a roll.

One other thing - I know everyone's gonna say "you don't get traction with 20's".. But, I would like to increase my traction. Today, getting on the expressway, I turned onto an empty on-ramp in first. Stabbed it, and the tires just broke loose, caught up towards 5k somewhere, then broke loose again grabbing second @ ~6100 (shifted HARD, I was beating on her pretty good), then third just barked, and I was at 90 merging into traffic. The rear end didn't slide in either direction, just spun the tires. Would LCA's or relo brackets or any of that stuff help me keep it planted? I'm planning to get 305/35/20 DR's when I wax this set of 555's (car never sees rain).. I'm thinking that would help too, right?

*sigh* if it's not one thing, it's another...
I launch anywhere between 2500-3000 rpm on a stock motor, lol. Like sactown said, slipping the clutch is very imporant. However w/ that kind of power your pushing to your wheels, i would recommond slipping the clutch at 2,000 and working your way up the rpm range intill you find the sweet spot.

O, and the only way you'll be beating an auto gto is w/ some drs...
Old 05-10-2008, 12:59 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Itoo amonly N/A, but totally agree with the other posters after seeing many drivers just sitand spin in their street tire shod torque monsters becausethey dumped the clutch and slammed the pedal to the metalduring launches.
Heck,considering your engine's high torque output, you may alsohave to gradually feed in the gas in 1st(and possibly 2nd) to prevent spinningwithyour current tireseven when slipping the clutch.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:05 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Man, the gradually feeding the gas thing wasn't what I wanted to hear.. I mean, I'm not trying to hang the tires on the street, but I really wanted to be able to mash it and just have it STICK, ya know? I don't know. I guess I'm going to have to get really serious about traction mods now.. Time to start that thread.. LOL
Old 05-10-2008, 02:01 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

You definitely need DRs for the power you are pushing to get the traction you want. With the mods I have, I spin in first and second.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:40 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: exx1976

Man, the gradually feeding the gas thing wasn't what I wanted to hear.. I mean, I'm not trying to hang the tires on the street, but I really wanted to be able to mash it and just have it STICK, ya know? I don't know. I guess I'm going to have to get really serious about traction mods now.. Time to start that thread.. LOL
What kind of street tires do you own? With that kind of power and tq, you need a top of the line street tire and a set of dr's. If you go to tire rack website, they just had the Goodyear F1 super car tire on sale. The f1 super car tire i believe is the same tire on z06, and some other nasty fast factory beast's. I recommend buying some dr tire's and a set of rims for drag racing. It's going to be hard to find a set that will fit w/ ur 20's up front, however im looking into an company called M&H; and they have a dr tire that i believe is almost 28" tall. I believe the measurement for the M&H tire is 275/45/18.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:53 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Slip the clutch @ 3k is what I always do. But I got the stock 17" bullitts and drivetrain.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:34 PM
07smoke

Best advise I can offer is, Race At The Track !Life ends fast at 110 MPH !
Old 05-10-2008, 09:03 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

This is why my 20's are for sale

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Launching advice??