Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CHE K-Member Brace w/ Torque Limiters

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 10:54 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Default CHE K-Member Brace w/ Torque Limiters

I was looking at this and wondering if it was worth it. I've read all the posts I could find but I'm still not sure. I never had a problem missing shifts with the stock shifter but I'm worried If I try shift hard with the Hurst at redline I'll miss. So, is this a big improvment and a help for a short throw like the hurst? Also does the K-member help handeling at all? Are there any downsides to this like stiffness, noise etc....

Also I read one post how this broke the transmission bolts on someone's car. Is that something to worry about???
Old 05-12-2008, 11:09 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: CHE K-Member Brace w/ Torque Limiters

i've never had any problems w/. my che k-member w/. the tl's. i can say that, like you, i didn't have big problems missing shifts (i have a pro 5.0 short throw), but it did happen on occasion. i never miss shifts now. the k-member does make a difference and help to stiffen the chassis, though probably only minimally; i think the bigger gain is in weight loss (though i'm pretty certain we're talking nickels and dimes, so to speak). i'm no expert and could be way off, but this is my experience so far. imo it's worth the $$.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:19 AM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Yes the K.member brace w? TQ is awesome and highly recommend..

If u go with a entire new K-memeber is weight..about 40-50 pounds i think whick is alot..As far as handling yes becuase with new A-arms
as well unsprung weight is much better..

But i would def..get the the CHE
Old 05-12-2008, 12:31 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i installed mine, even after seeing andrews
broken block

i would say tho, if you're not missing shifts,
then you should weigh the risk vs. reward

Old 05-12-2008, 04:34 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I must have 12k miles on mine and never had a problem. If you don't adjust them right they can cause a vibration. I tried leaving them off after my clutch install, but just didn't like the way the car feels without them.

You want to shorten them a little after they are installed, but not to much. Just enough to start pulling on the transmission.

You will feel the engine more, especially at start up.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:49 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

How do you know how much to adjust them, is it easy? Also from other posts I've read-do they unadjust themselves and is locktight needed for anything? Lastly As far as the install from other posts I'm guessing it's a pretty easy job right? Thanks alot guys!!!
Old 05-12-2008, 06:26 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VistaGT

How do you know how much to adjust them, is it easy? Also from other posts I've read-do they unadjust themselves and is locktight needed for anything? Lastly As far as the install from other posts I'm guessing it's a pretty easy job right? Thanks alot guys!!!
When you first bolt them up they will have no load on them until you shorten or lengthen them. There is no set amount to shorten them and you'll see it pulling down on the transmission when you start. I just measured both mine to make sure I had them even on both sides and short even so they didn't cause a vibration. If you have them too loose they will cause an annoying resonation through the cabin and I mean annoying.

The install is not that hard, but there was a rather large bolt or nut that needed removing. I remember thinking that the average person isn't going to have a socket that size.

Thinking about it, it maybe better to shorten one side and lengthen the other. Which side does the engine torque over torwards, passenger? It would seem logical that if the engine and transmission is torquing over torwards the passenger side, then you'd want to shorten the drivers side limiter and lengthen the passenger side, otherwise your drivers side limiter is doing all the work.

Anyone think i'm making any sense? Does anyone have there's set up this way?
Old 05-12-2008, 06:27 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Loctite. I initially used loctite, but it's not really necessary on the limiter jam nuts if you have it adjusted and tightened properly.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:03 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Cool thanks moose!
Old 05-12-2008, 11:06 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

+1
I'll be putting on the prothane motor mounts this weekend

ORIGINAL: hammeron