Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

airaid cai , any thoughts anybody got one ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:49 PM
mud mountain
1st Gear Member

Default airaid cai , any thoughts anybody got one ?

I dont want to do a tune , car is still under waranty.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:03 PM
MRV

Default RE: airaid cai , any thoughts anybody got one ?

ORIGINAL: mud mountain

I have the Airaid CAI sitting on my floor... I hope to get it installed on Friday. I tried the Steeda intake with Brenspeed tunes, then the C&L intake with Bamachips tunes, and wasn't happy with either. Although I clearly gained some thrust above 3000-3500 RPM with both, I lost a lot of low-end torque, and that really compromised real-world driveability (and the car's my daily driver). Both Brenspeed and Bamachips graciously refunded my money.

SO... I have the Airaid, but I can't tell you yet whether purchasing it was a wise decision or not. I should be able to speak from experience on Friday...
Old 05-13-2008, 09:10 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

I didn't want to tune my car at first either. You can always flash back, remove cai and cycle computer before taking in for warranty work. The tune makes the big difference, not the intake. I wouldn't be surprised if that so called no-tune intake made your car go into limp mode anyway.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:16 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: MRV

I have the Airaid CAI sitting on my floor... I hope to get it installed on Friday. I tried the Steeda intake with Brenspeed tunes, then the C&L intake with Bamachips tunes, and wasn't happy with either. Although I clearly gained some thrust above 3000-3500 RPM with both, I lost a lot of low-end torque, and that really compromised real-world driveability (and the car's my daily driver). Both Brenspeed and Bamachips graciously refunded my money.

SO... I have the Airaid, but I can't tell you yet whether purchasing it was a wise decision or not. I should be able to speak from experience on Friday...
i am glad you got your money back but are you sure you "lost" torq......i have never heard anyone complain about something like that. I know it all my tunes i gained lots of torq......everywhere

If you are going to run the airaid without a tune you are still going to be disappointed, even more so. Most any gains come from tunes, not the CAIs.

Many people say they dont want a tune because of warranty, they change their thinking about a week on here though
Old 05-13-2008, 09:27 PM
MRV

ORIGINAL: brad281

I didn't want to tune my car at first either. You can always flash back, remove cai and cycle computer before taking in for warranty work. The tune makes the big difference, not the intake. I wouldn't be surprised if that so called no-tune intake made your car go into limp mode anyway.
You're right... the tune makes a big difference. At one point, Brenspeed sent me tunesto try withthe stock intake, thinking that perhaps my low-end losses were connected to the larger MAF housing of the Steeda intake. Still had the low-end losses.

Whose car went into limp mode?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:31 PM
MRV

ORIGINAL: howarmat

ORIGINAL: MRV

i am glad you got your money back but are you sure you "lost" torq......i have never heard anyone complain about something like that. I know it all my tunes i gained lots of torq......everywhere

If you are going to run the airaid without a tune you are still going to be disappointed, even more so. Most any gains come from tunes, not the CAIs.

Many people say they dont want a tune because of warranty, they change their thinking about a week on here though
The loss was significant below 2500 RPM. Even my wife, as a passenger, noticed it. Going up one hill nearby, where I was used to being able to accelerate from 2000 RPM in third with the stock intake and tune, the car would not accelerate withthe Steeda/Brenspeed combo.I swapped back to the stock intake and tune, and the car would once again accelerate up that hill from 2000 RPM in third.

I know that my experience doesn't mirror most people's. It may have to do with the fact that I live at 6,000 feet. I informed both Brenspeed and Bamachips of that fact when I placed my orders with them.

Mud, don't have any concerns about uploading a tune on account of your warranty.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What a shame, to waste $25k - $30K and not enjoy some of the REAL performance under the hood because you're betting your Stang will crap the bed.IF you use the search feature you'll see that the CAI & tune is no big deal with respect to warranty... unless you're a spineless wimp that cries when the dealership tries to whip you.Peeps and theirwarrantyworries drive me nutz...
Old 05-13-2008, 10:00 PM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

This is the first time I have heard of somebody saying they lost torque from a cai/tune. Must have had a bogus tune!Only a cai wont change too much. Before my s/c I had a jlt cai/tune and it was great. You will not lose torque! some people are crazy[&:]You can always put the stock tune and intake for waranty work. The cai/tune is well worth it.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:31 PM
MRV

ORIGINAL: SONICBOOST3

This is the first time I have heard of somebody saying they lost torque from a cai/tune. Must have had a bogus tune!Only a cai wont change too much. Before my s/c I had a jlt cai/tune and it was great. You will not lose torque! some people are crazy[&:]You can always put the stock tune and intake for waranty work. The cai/tune is well worth it.
Ahhh... you're right: I'm crazy. Two different tunes from Brenspeed and three different tunes from BamaChips couldn't all have had basically the same effect on my car. Muddy, don't listen to me. I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. Don't even consider the Airaid. You gotta get a JLT, C&L or maybe the FRPP/Steeda, with tunes from Brenspeed or Bama. You'll love it!

(And Mudman, if you're stillinterested in the Airaid, I'll be posting my installation and drivingimpressions Friday or Saturday on a different forum where things are a little friendlier.)
Old 05-14-2008, 12:48 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I bought the Airaid CAI, long before learning about this Forum. When I put it on .....without a Tune, I thought to myself wow this is pretty cool, it almost sounds like the old 4bbl carb opening up.

After I got my Brenspeed tune, and removed the MVT, I thought to myself HOLY S**T!!!!

Quick Reply: airaid cai , any thoughts anybody got one ?