Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hot Rod vs. NSR

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:23 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Hot Rod vs. NSR

40 HP from NSR cams on a N/A car

not going to happen, most cams with springs dont get that many!
Old 05-16-2008, 06:31 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Hmm, the Comp Camp XFI VSR stage 2 (what brenspeed is calling stage 3) gets 34 (brenspeed got a little more but their test car had a few more bolt ons than the comp test car) ...so I'm pretty skeptical about those hotrod numbers. If that is true then sweet. I would want to see a dyno chart before buying to make sure they don't lose power on the low end. I'm very paranoid about that.

Comp Cams provides three dyno charts for NSR, VSR and SPR. The SPR are the only ones that don't lose on the low and gain 48 high-end. But I'm sure they're the most expensive option.

Right now I'm personally almost completely convinced on getting the SPR. Probably stage 2 since they have a "very rough idle" according to comp and gain more than stage 1 I'd reckon. But I'm not looking to do this anytime soon so it's likely I'll change my mind yet again (seems to be a never ending trend ).
Old 05-16-2008, 06:46 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I think cost wise they are all about the same from comps site, 742 MSRP, and i think install would be the same basic cost with them all except the NSR cams. I didnt see where it said the SPR dont lose any low end, i did see where stage 1 was gains for torque and stage 2 is focused on the higher RPM HP.

I dont know, I am still completely undecided at this point
Old 05-16-2008, 07:10 PM
jmose77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

40 HP from NSR cams on a N/A car

not going to happen, most cams with springs dont get that many!
I know how it sounds howarmat, but don't you worry I'm going to find that SOB tomorrow and slap him and call him a liar.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:22 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

I think cost wise they are all about the same from comps site, 742 MSRP, and i think install would be the same basic cost with them all except the NSR cams. I didnt see where it said the SPR dont lose any low end, i did see where stage 1 was gains for torque and stage 2 is focused on the higher RPM HP.

I dont know, I am still completely undecided at this point
Look here: http://www.compcams.com/3valve/dynoresults.asp

Those dyno graphs show the SPR does not lose any low end, unlike the others. Jim D'Amore also talks about on that page how he did not lose any low end power. He didn't say exactly that he used the SPR, but going by that dyno chart I'd assume he was using the SPRs.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:30 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I agree those look very nice, i might dig into those a bit further, much more on the install and parts though though....hmmm
Old 05-16-2008, 07:45 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SirKnightTG

That sounds pretty sweet. Are those the same stage 3 comps that Brenspeed sells?

I'm starting to get confused now. What brenspeed is calling stage 3 is actually stage 2 according to Comp Camps (see the comp cams 3-valve link above). I checked and the part number (127300) and grind numbers (XE261H-15) match. Well mostly, the cams on comp's site says -15.5.

Also, the "stage 3" from the above video sounds a lot more lopey than what I see on youtube called stage 4. I have no idea what the stage 4 is since comp cams does not mention that.

I'm going to send Brenspeed an email about this stage number thing.
It is confusing, I had to read Comp's updated website from your link to figure it out. My how things are changing.

My Stage IIIs XE261-Hare part number 127300, now a year later called Stage II. I got the Comp springs part number 26113-24 and steel retainers part number 700-24. Hope that helps.

John
Old 05-16-2008, 07:54 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

A lot of the gains seen are very dependent on mods, and more specifically, the tune. You have to be careful about tunes because you can tune for max hp/trq and have a quirky car on the street. There are compromises for the street and track.

When I added the cams I went from 300/319 (hp/trq) to 323/309. That's with a C&amp;L cold air kit, BBK shorties, Bassani catted x-pipe, and Mac mufflers already installed. It got me a 12.87 at the track, but the car was just a dog out of the hole, at least at the track. It felt fine on the street compared to othercars.

I came across a real sweet deal on JBA LTs and o/r h-pipe, and installed those and had it retuned recently. I went from 323/309 to my present 348/332. Think about it--had Iput the LTs on the car prior to the cams and new tune, I would have probably seen 30+ HP gain, which is what they are showing on their chart, and note the similar mods. So draw your own conclusions.

For me, the car is more than a handful on the street, and tomorrow I see if I can start working my ETs down towards the magic 12.00 NA...
Old 05-16-2008, 07:58 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

well i think since i already have LTs, CMDP, etc that hopefully any cams i would get will not lose that much down low but who knows.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:40 PM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

Hey boss, did you only notice a difference in sound at idle or at crusing or wot speeds as well? Any louder at Wot or Crusin speeds?

ORIGINAL: jwgroovin

Comp stage III cams:
http://media.putfile.com/Comp-Stage-3-cams

That's with BBK headers, Bassani catted x-pipe, and Mac muffler. I now have JBA longtubes and off road h-pipe (same Macs) but never got around to making a video yet...

John

Quick Reply: Hot Rod vs. NSR