Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I need help with exhaust ASAP Please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Default I need help with exhaust ASAP Please!

Ok here's the story.
I went to two different places looking at exhaust.
The first place I went to was the accesories dept. at my local Ford dealer.
The second place I went to was a local muffler shop.

I decided I wanted stainless steel exhaust and the best price I could find was Magnaflow.
At the Ford house the guy showed me this setup here...
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...MML&id=846

As you can see the retail on this setup is 787.00

But the guy there quoted me at 550.00 plus tax, for a total of around 590.00 or so.

I went to the local muffler shop after this and asked him what he could give me for a price.
His total came out to be 709.00
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My issue is this....
Aren't the dealerships usually more expensive?
Why is the dealership quoting me such a lower price?
Another question is this...
Could it be that the guy in the accessories dept made a mistake and meant this pack instead?
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...MML&id=854
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My next question is this... I don't know alot about exhaust and I need to know the difference between the two of them.
What will the first one give me as far as performance and sound that the second will not?
Will it make a difference with power/etc? Will the second one cause me to lose power over stock instead of gain?
And finally.... IF he did make a mistake and meant the second one... is it still a good price at 590.00 when the retail on the second one is 648.00?

I need to order today if possible and really need these questions answered.
Thanks so much!
Also to those of you who know... are these good systems? And another important question.
WIll the first setup require a tune?
Old 05-15-2008, 09:32 AM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I need help with exhaust ASAP Please!

Yikes. I thought magnaflows were supposed to be cheaper? I'd recommend just getting FRPP Stingers for cheaper, or if you're already going to pay that much, just go ahead and get corsas.

Anyway, at those prices, it may be that your dealership is charging a lot, but your muffler shop is charging even more. Go to another muffler shop. Or get your muffler off ebay and then have your muffler shop install it.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:42 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I wouldnt bother with a catback unless you get pypes mid muffler honeslty.....extra $$

you can get the stingers for 399+ shipping from buyforracing.com

Not quite the same tone but i would guess close to what you are looking at
Old 05-15-2008, 09:53 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

+1 and +1. Don't get the cat back, just the A/B is all you need. And for that price I'd shoot right for Corsas, or I'd save some dough and get the FRPP/Borla/Steeda Stingers (as long as you don't mind drone).
Old 05-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Are the FRRP stingers louder and more agressive than what I am looking at or are the Magnaflow's?

I don't understand what the difference is between the two Magna's I am looking at either....
Also what is the difference in cat back and axle back?

I noticed on the second link (magnas) that on the title it also says cat back but on the description it says axle back..
what gives?
Old 05-15-2008, 10:40 AM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

I was able to go to Ford and order my Magnaflow catback for 620 dollars compared to 750... I wondered why a dealership was giving me a deal, but I said what the hell, and I ended up getting a magnaflow catback system... I wouldnt doubt what they tell, this is only from one experience though. I have NEVER bought anything from the dealership after that.

To answer your question on the sound and performance, you wouldnt really feel any difference in power. A tune isnt really required either. The sound will be slightly louder and just sound like a better muscle car. I would stick with the guys above my post though and go with FRPP stingers... You cant go wrong with an FRPP stinger setup.

In my opinion, you really make the magnaflows wake up after putting a mid pipe or longtube headers (or both) on the car...
Old 05-15-2008, 10:40 AM
MagnaflowRep
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: iluvmycar

Are the FRRP stingers louder and more agressive than what I am looking at or are the Magnaflow's?

I don't understand what the difference is between the two Magna's I am looking at either....
Also what is the difference in cat back and axle back?

I noticed on the second link (magnas) that on the title it also says cat back but on the description it says axle back..
what gives?
Let me try to clear up some of the confusion. As of right now there are three options available that I would recommend.

The first two I'm going to list are the 2.5" cat-back systems. Keep in mind the only difference between the two cat-backs are the mufflers. They are both straight through mufflers so performance gains are the same between the two.

Magnaflow-15881

This is the Magnaflow system which uses 4x9x14" oval mufflers. It is the mellower sounding of the two cat-back kits.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=AMML&id=838

Magnaflow - 15883

This is the Magnapack system which uses 4" round 14" in length mufflers which are smaller than those used in the Magnaflow cat-back. This is a very aggressively toned system.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=AMML&id=846

Magnaflow - 15882

This is the Magnaflow Axle-back which will be the quietest of the three options. It uses the same 4x9x14" oval mufflers as seen in 15881.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=AMML&id=842

All the pricing on our website is MSRP. If you click on the "Buy Online" tab after clicking on any of the above links you will see how much less they are sold for though our retailers. If you have any questions on our systems please let me know and I will be happy to help.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:24 AM
BlackStang21
1st Gear Member

[align=left]Don't waste your money on the catback system; just go with axlebacks. The only difference will be that the catback will replace the pipe you already have, but will not help gain anything. And as said before if your going to spend that much money on magnaflows go ahead and spend a little bit more and get the best you can buy, corscas.

And if you possibly can stay away from ordering your exhaust from the dealership or a muffler shop. Go directly to a vendor online (Brenspeed, Ninosport, Lethal Performance, Steeda, etc.). If you go throw the dealership they'll just overcharge you period. The muffler shop will be more expensive than buying direct from a vendor because they mark up the price to make money of the part. Best option go to a vendor's site order the exhaust you want and then take it to a muffler shop to have it installed (if you insist on not doing it yourself, which is extremely simple).

Don't expect to gain any horsepower from adding this type of exhaust, meaning axleback. But at the same time you will not lose any horsepower either and no tuning is required. If you want to add a few horses and gain some sound add an O/R X or H-pipe, but at the same time these require a tune or MEL elimantors to turn off your rear O2 sensors.

Hope this helps.
[/align]
Old 05-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I paid about $425 for the FRPP Stingers and Howarmat states $399 in his post above. The install takes about 1 hour (after reading Tacobill's "How-To").
Old 05-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

What is the item number for the stingers? I may still go with the cat back so I can add more later but I haven't made up my mind.
Just in case... I know there are two different types of exhaust for the 2006 Mustang GT on the FRRPs.
Which one is the correct one?

Can someone give me a link?

Quick Reply: I need help with exhaust ASAP Please!