Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

HELP! F-ing noise gimme somewhere to look

Old 05-16-2008, 04:40 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP! F-ing noise gimme somewhere to look

I suggest you guys with exhaust rattles buy a set of rhino ramps for $30 and get underneath your car. There is only a couple of places the exhaust hangers can touch and you'll know where right away.

Notching the hanger brackets and elongating the mounting holes on the brackets, permanently solved my problem. Tools needed are a cheap handheld electric grinder (got mine for $15, 6 years ago, from harborfreight.com), drill and some primer/paint to repaint the brackets. The other alternative is having a muffler shop cut the hangers off and reweld them futher back or forward rather on the exhaust pipe.

I'm sure a piece of heater hose or any rubber hose slid over the hanger will solve the problem, until it wears through the hose.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:42 PM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

If its the same issue ive had twice now,which is ratteling or vibration on the drivers side , its always been the therear hanger bracket touching the frame, both times i had extended the tips back further for better looks & this happened! take the muffler off and cut1/4 inch off the end with a sawsall, grinder or plasma cutter....works like a charm !If its not touching but close ive used a small rubber end cap too & it also works!
Old 05-16-2008, 04:51 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

Been here done that !!! I had a smiliar issue with my MACs, unfortunately I had mig welded them on[:@] So i ground off the tacks and repositioned, then I noticed the damn driver side tail pipe was about 1/2" longer than the passenger side !!! That made the muffler not fit all the way back onto the pipe which caused the hanger to rub the hanger bracket, what a pain !!
So I already had the dremel, ground off about 1/4" of pipe and boom, everything is perfect now, what a pain in the *** chasing noises on these cars, of course if you wanted a quiet ,refined ride you would have bought a import sedan [:'(]

BTW, if you have SLP cats on an X-pipe and you hear something rattling in your muffler, it could be apiece of the substrate from the CAT which has made its way to the muffler, both sides I have had this happen, SLP won't warranty because I have scratches on the CATs cuz they hang so low and AZ is the capital of speed bumps. All other noises are tuned out by exhaust/drone and/or Sepulturablasting on the shaker!!!

Good luck
Old 05-17-2008, 04:18 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: desslok40

what a pain in the *** chasing noises on these cars, of course if you wanted a quiet ,refined ride you would have bought a import sedan [:'(]
Well you can't blame the car for that noise, it was your aftermarket exhaust. The stock exhaust never made any noise on my car.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:30 AM
samus720
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, those all sound like some viable options. I'll write back when I'm done fixing mine today and let you guys know what I did. Hopefully, it will be of some use to the rest of you.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:44 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

I can blame it because the damn tailpipe was 1/2" longer on one side, you telling me thats the way it was engineered, other noises, like the TSB for the rear end grinding and all the dash rattles, come on, I was just making a point these cars aren't that quiet even stock.

What do you work for Ford? lol

I am happy with my car but they are old school, lots of road noise and not very refined in terms of handling, made to go in a straight line fast !! That was the point I was trying to make.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:06 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You need to settle down. I don't know what part of the stock exhaust was 1/2 inch longer on one side, but I'm sure it wasn't a problem with your stock exhaust so it's the fault of Mac or whomever made the aftermarket exhaust.

The clutch packs in the rearend make noise, that's the way it works. If you get the TSB done then you are only hurting your limit slip by making it slip more. Don't even get me started on people taking their car to the dealer for a dash rattle. I bet the dealers laugh at them all day long.

I can blame it because the damn tailpipe was 1/2" longer on one side, you telling me thats the way it was engineered, other noises, like the TSB for the rear end grinding and all the dash rattles, come on, I was just making a point these cars aren't that quiet even stock.

I am happy with my car but they are old school, lots of road noise and not very refined in terms of handling, made to go in a straight line fast !! That was the point I was trying to make.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:11 PM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

You need to settle down. I don't know what part of the stock exhaust was 1/2 inch longer on one side, but I'm sure it wasn't a problem with your stock exhaust so it's the fault of Mac or whomever made the aftermarket exhaust.

The clutch packs in the rearend make noise, that's the way it works. If you get the TSB done then you are only hurting your limit slip by making it slip more. Don't even get me started on people taking their car to the dealer for a dash rattle. I bet the dealers laugh at them all day long.

+1000
Old 05-17-2008, 06:47 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

maybe thats the rattle i have?

although it didn't happen until i just got the exhaust "fixed" again, i'm going to have to take a look under there.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:42 PM
RedfireGTCoupe

I had the same problem with the ticking noise. It was just the hanger hitting the mounting rod for the exhaust. Just elongate the holes in the factory mounting bracket and slide it over a bit and voila the problem goes away. Literally it is a 15 minute fix.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! F-ing noise gimme somewhere to look