Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Throttle Body Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:55 AM
matthewpilgrim

Default Throttle Body Question

I am trying to get some information about a new Throttle Body and/or a Throttle Body Spacer.

Would it be worth getting a new throttle body, or just a throttle body spacer? I have read mixed opinions about both. Does anyone know if you can use both with each other, or is it if I put a new throttle body on, I can not use a spacer?
Old 05-19-2008, 10:15 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Default RE: Throttle Body Question

New TBs are pure trouble and no added gain without a tune and then its marginal.
Spacers - their weight negates any gains in HP they produce.
In other words, dont venture there until all other HP producing
mods are already done.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:54 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

TB spacers are useless, and a bigger throttle body is only useful if you run boost.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:55 AM
rugedraw
2nd Gear Member

I had a TB on my car for a short while, and I noticed slight hp gains and much faster throttle response. However, it did throw up codes and made the car go into safe mode, so I took it off and sold it.

If you do want to go this route, I suggest going with BBK or a TB that uses plastic gears instead of metal ones. The fly-by-wire systems on these cars are VERY senstive and it will throw your car into safe mode instantly if it detects anything strange.

On my car, with the ignition put to "on" but the engine off, I would hit the gas pedal and you can hear and see the TB opening and closing perfectly. As soon as I turned the engine on, the gas pedal would become unresponsive completely.

If I hooked it up to my tuner, and re-installed the tune, I could get the car to start and accelerate. The problem then would be that the rpm's would stay hanging and would take a good 5-10 seconds to go all the way down to idle; sometimes it would stay idling at almost 2,000 rpm.

The TB I used had metal gears. I have seen (with my own eyes in front of me) an '06 GT with a BBK TB and the guy never looked back since putting it on his car. I have also heard the the 65mm TB off of the '07+ Shelbys work great, but the larger opening that attaches to the air filter hose is going to require some kind of apaptor plate or customization in order to get it to fit around the larger diameter TB.

I suggest you use that money to get a custom tune from BrenSpeed or BamaChips and you will get more bang for your buck and less troubles. I still want a TB because I felt decent hp gains from it, but I will get the 65mm TB from Ford (which is about $100 cheaper than getting an aftermarket one) and figure something out for the air intake hose. I went to my local dealer, and they quoted me $160 for the 65mm Shelby TB with both sensors on it already. If you are dead-set on a TB (like I am), I highly recommend you inquire about the Ford part before you they same thing hundreds of us already went through.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:37 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Very simply with your mods this is not something you should think about.