Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

California Emissions Question RE: Mid Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

Default California Emissions Question RE: Mid Pipes

Hello, I'm having trouble deciding on the right mid pipes for my 05 GT and could use a little advise. With California Emissions standards being what they are, I can forget about removing the cats or getting an o/r pipe. [:@]I'm thinking about getting the Magnaflow Tru-X X-Pipe, though if I can get my hands on a H-Pipe with high flow cats that would be my choice.

I just purchased the car and I believe everything is stock except for the Borla catback. My question is, what is the best I can get sound/performance wise that will still allow me to pass smog? Visual inspection is not a problem.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2008, 01:06 PM
craezjo
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: California Emissions Question RE: Mid Pipes

well i bought and o/r pipe and live in nyc where they do emission testing im juss gonna switch it back with the stock ones when i have to get them checked.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Sleep Deprived

Hello, I'm having trouble deciding on the right mid pipes for my 05 GT and could use a little advise. With California Emissions standards being what they are, I can forget about removing the cats or getting an o/r pipe. [:@]I'm thinking about getting the Magnaflow Tru-X X-Pipe, though if I can get my hands on a H-Pipe with high flow cats that would be my choice.

I just purchased the car and I believe everything is stock except for the Borla catback. My question is, what is the best I can get sound/performance wise that will still allow me to pass smog? Visual inspection is not a problem.

Thanks
As long as the Cats are CARB approved you're fine.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: craezjo

well i bought and o/r pipe and live in nyc where they do emission testing im juss gonna switch it back with the stock ones when i have to get them checked.
[/b]

Unfortunatly they do roadside tests here, I'll get nailed for sure.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: Sleep Deprived

Thanks
As long as the Cats are CARB approved you're fine.
I had tried to find an H-Pipe with high flow cats that are CARB approved with no luck. Do they make one? If not, is there a workaround for this? Thanks
Old 05-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

As far as High flow cats go, they suck.... They burn out too fast and don't flow much more than out factory pieces.

Second, why are you going through all this trouble? You wont get mush power out if any. Are you looking for more sound? If so, swap out the mufflers maybe even consider mid pipe style for the deeper sound.

Trust me the stock components on our exhaust accually flow pretty well. No need to change anything but the mufflers!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:41 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Z06 Killer

As far as High flow cats go, they suck.... They burn out too fast and don't flow much more than out factory pieces.

Second, why are you going through all this trouble? You wont get mush power out if any. Are you looking for more sound? If so, swap out the mufflers maybe even consider mid pipe style for the deeper sound.

Trust me the stock components on our exhaust accually flow pretty well. No need to change anything but the mufflers!
Hi z06 killer,

The MagnaFlow Tru-X with high-flow OBDII cats actually works pretty well. Not cheap for the power gain but if you want to max out your N/A power this isa requirement to work witha set of good equal length shorty headers. The total systemincrease for the JBA headers and MagnaFlow Tru X-Pipewith stock mufflers was 18rwhp on a DynoJet using SAE correction and smoothing set to 5. That is 18rwhp out of parts that yousaynobody needs to change with the one part you claim people need to change still in the system. The stock mufflers on a stock exhaust system on an otherwise stock engine are worth 2-5rwhp and on a free flowing system like mine worthabout the same2-5rwhp which I confirmed by replacing the stock mufflers with MagnaPack cat backs andputting the car back onthe dyno again. This system which you and so many other ignorant people claim doesn't work helps my '05 GT manual put down 316-318rwhp SAE smoothing 5 onthe DynoJet. This samecar with 1,000 miles on it put down 263rwhp on the same dyno when bone stock after an oil change. If these parts didn't work where did that extra power come from?

HTH!
Old 05-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

ORIGINAL: Z06 Killer

Hi z06 killer,

The MagnaFlow Tru-X with high-flow OBDII cats actually works pretty well. Not cheap for the power gain but if you want to max out your N/A power this isa requirement to work witha set of good equal length shorty headers. The total systemincrease for the JBA headers and MagnaFlow Tru X-Pipewith stock mufflers was 18rwhp on a DynoJet using SAE correction and smoothing set to 5. That is 18rwhp out of parts that yousaynobody needs to change with the one part you claim people need to change still in the system. The stock mufflers on a stock exhaust system on an otherwise stock engine are worth 2-5rwhp and on a free flowing system like mine worthabout the same2-5rwhp which I confirmed by replacing the stock mufflers with MagnaPack cat backs andputting the car back onthe dyno again. This system which you and so many other ignorant people claim doesn't work helps my '05 GT manual put down 316-318rwhp SAE smoothing 5 onthe DynoJet. This samecar with 1,000 miles on it put down 263rwhp on the same dyno when bone stock after an oil change. If these parts didn't work where did that extra power come from?

HTH!
I appologise if I have offende your purchase choices but if you feel that 18hp was worth the coin the all the better for you my friend. I never said that they would not produce power, I said you wont get MUCH. And to me, less than 20hp is a mod that I save for after the big stuff. Some vehicles respond well to big open exhaust but our beloved S197 does not really.

All I am saying is if you are modding the exhaust on a stock motor, then let it be for sound and not power as mostpeople are not going to notice a 7% gain in a 300 horse motor