Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hard Starting part 2: Possibly a starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:58 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Default Hard Starting part 2: Possibly a starter issue

When the car was starting hard before, it would crank a couple of times and then I'd hear a "bussing" sound for a 1/2 second or so before the car fired up. Today, I had to try 4 times to get the car to start. The first two times, it cranked 2-3 times, made that "buzz" noise.....and that's it. Even with the key still turned to start.....the car did not continue to crank. The third time, same noise, but the car tried to start (sputtered) and the 4th time it fired up but idled a bit slow at first. Black smoke with successful starting.

New theory: since the car does not continue to crank after failing to start (even with key in "start" position) I'm thinking the starter is disengaging from the ring gear. The buzzin noise would be the starter spooling down (a noise you don't normally hear because of engine noise). Starter failure (or relay) might explain why I had no problems for the first two weeks with starting after the supercharger install.

Going to a local mechanic tomorrow to show off the car, (he built a bad *** pro-street engine for a '68 Hurst Cuda when I was changing oil for him at his shop few years back) and get an opinion.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:02 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Hard Starting part 2: Possibly a starter issue

Nice ride! Sounds like either the battery or the starter may be a problem. A bad cell in the battery can cause a low voltage problem while cranking. A bad starter can pull too many amps and also cause a low voltage problem.
The car's computer will not respond favorably to either. Best to have it checked out at a shop.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:06 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Have someone check the voltage at the starter when it's buzzing. Might be the battery like jerjan suggested or a bad connection at the battery or down the line to the starter. Starter should turn the motor till the battery dies.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:04 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Voltage meter doesn't drop, and I should get an error message if it does drop. I would expect it to be consistent if it was the battery. The "buzz" isnt your typical low battery hum and it only lasts 1/2 second. Monday I will have the shop take a good look. I'd be happy if it was just the starter. Haha.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:22 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Hopefully it is the starter and from the way you described it ....it sounds that is the problem! J
Old 05-24-2008, 11:05 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

It may also be a loose starter wire connection.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:17 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

Just a thought - I had a similar thing in my '70 (I know, way different car), but it would buzz the starter solenoid but not crank. Turned out to be the battery terminal itself - was passing enough voltage to run accessories fine, but not enough amps.. and it could be that the few times you could get it to start there may have not been enough amps to fire the ignition reliably until the alternator caught up, or you had it partially flooded, or the computer was wiggin out..