Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Attn: MAC axleback owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:10 AM
08ImportKilla

Default Attn: MAC axleback owners

I currently have flowmasters on my car and have bought the mac axlebacks. When a buddy and I tried to get the macs on the car, it was a disaster. For one when we put the exhaust brackets on the muffler hangars none of the bolt holes would line up. The flowmasters have a notch cut in the pipe that joins with the stock h pipe and was able to fit in that little raised stop ( |o| ) in the factory pipe. The macs didnt have anything like this and as a result wouldnt slide back as far as the flowmasters. So my question is this: Have any of you installed these by yourself, if so did you have any of the same issues as me? How did you fix them? Am I retarded?
Old 05-21-2008, 10:17 AM
MikesTorchedGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Attn: MAC axleback owners

I have the mac axle back, and installtion wasn't that bad I thought. But it sounds like your talkin bout the cat back? Anyways once you get them all youl know is that they sound 100 times better then those flow masters!!!
Old 05-21-2008, 12:02 PM
08ImportKilla

I actually had them on, just not correctly but too the point where it wouldnt fall off. I have the flowmasters back on right now and the macs are sitting in my trunk. I am pretty sure that i ordered the correct ones from brenspeed, but who knows if I have the exhaust bracket issue that happened on mid 07 model mustangs.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:10 PM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

Macs arent any different than most other axlebacks, very few have the factory notch youre reffering to, its no big deal, just butt up to the tab on overaxlepipe & tighten up real good! try to use your old clamps if you can ( the ones that come from mac suck ) as for yourmuffler brackets,make sure you dont have them on backwards ! if theyre facing the right direction theyll line up!,you may have too bend a hanger or 2 to get everything just right
Old 05-21-2008, 05:30 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

I've got an 07 with an April 07 build date, and I had no hanger issues with my MAC's. Spend a couple bucks and get yourself some band clamps instead of the ones supplied by MAC. You'll geat a better seal that way.

[IMG]local://upfiles/76336/06AE245248724042900BBB0DDBA7AE88.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-21-2008, 05:33 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

So whats the verdict????? How do the macs stack up against the flows? worth it?? let me know haha thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 08:07 AM
08ImportKilla

The Macs seem much louder at idle on a cold start than the flowmasters. On a warm start, they are louder than the flows. The drone issue is definatley present under loud between 1800-2100rpm range......a quick change to 4.10 gears would fix this when cruising on the highway. The sound the macs produce is a louder and deeper sound than the flowmasters.......it will definatley turn some heads. I cant really pinpoint the sound characteristics because I have never heard it cruising from the outside, just on the inside. I am not sure if I want to give it another go though as I have been eyeing the pypes mid muffler system to replace my flows. If interested, I will be throwing the macs up for sale once the forum rules allow.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:21 AM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

I have had some issues with the MACs, first off the clamps they come with, pull them out of the box then throw in the garbage !!! lol

Get some u-bolt clamps, also grind off the dumb factory "notches"
they are great for the idiots at the factory to "screw" on the mufflers, can't believe they need a notch to show them which way to align[X(] all that at $40+ an hour, no wonder our economy sucks andDetroit is in deep recession.

Anyways with the notches gone you should be able to slide the mufflers all the way up the pipe, I had the additional problem ofmy driver's side pipe being about 1/2" longer than the passenger side, so my driver's side tip was sticking out too far, dremel to the rescue, ground off about 1/4" and no they are both perfect. If you do the catback you won't have the notch problem but the clamps still gotta go [:@]

No more rattles, perfect symmetry, and they sound awesome, but alot of BS for a simple bolt-on !!!

here is a clip: http://www.houndbite.com/?houndbite=848
Old 05-23-2008, 12:25 AM
white07
4th Gear Member

man you guys are making me want to change to macs. Are they deeper than flows? and how much louder are they? My flows are quite
Old 05-23-2008, 08:01 AM
08ImportKilla

I dont think the flowmasters were designed to be loud. They seem to be slightly louder than stock but throatier and deeper. The macs just amplify that sound a bit more (deeper and throatier than flows). You feel the sound in the cabin of the car......well maybe that could have been vibrations from my half a$$ install.

Quick Reply: Attn: MAC axleback owners