Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MPG numbers with C&L or Airaid intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

Default MPG numbers with C&L or Airaid intake

Hey everyone, I was wondering what kind of MPG increases (or decreases) those of you who have either the Airaid or C&L intake have seen with the 'no-tune' option (I did a search, but could not really find exactly what I was looking for). Yes, I know a tune will help with power, but I am mainly looking for MPG gains (plus, both of these CAIs have the option to remove that restrictor if I would want to install a tune down the road). I would also like to hear any MPG gains from those of you who do have the CAI/tune combo.[/align][/align]Any help would be appreciated. Thanks [/align]
Old 05-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: MPG numbers with C&L or Airaid intake

Neither the CAI alone or the CAI & tune combo do much, if anything, to improve fuel mileage. Some members have reported a modest 1-2 MPG gain. Others claim (including myself) that the CAI & tune don't affect fuel mileage (unless your lead foot gets in the way). Even if you gained 1-2 MPG it would be a long time before you broke even. Of course, that doesn't include mention of the added performance and more frequent hard-ons the CAI & tune combo provides...
Old 05-22-2008, 07:25 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

Since you said "any help would be appreciated", here is my two cents. Theoretically the CAI, the tune, and/or the combo of both should increase your mileage slightly - I truly thought that before getting my tunes. Reality, however is different. Prior to tune, I averaged just over 25mpg in my 120 mile a day daily driver. After the tune I am in the mid to upper 23 mpg range - so I lost 1-2 mpg. I personally feel the difference in MPG is not due to the tune, but due to a slight change in my driver habits. With the tune I stick my foot in it a little more often than before because it is fun. Also prior to the tune I typically cruised at 65mph, now I cruise at 80+ depending on local law enforcement activity (or lack thereof).
Old 05-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

Hmm... when I had my 02 v6, I had a K&N intake and my mileage increased about 2 mpg. Since gas is now $4.00+ I figured anything that could help increase mileage would be good. Also, I should add to my original question (for anyone else who replies)I am mainly looking for city increases, not necessarily highway. Plus, if there are any other fairly inexpensive items that help increase mileage, throw them in the mix too. Thanks for the input so far.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Personally, I think having the extra performance would result in my fuel mileage getting worse IF my Stang was my DD and IF I was driving mainly city.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:25 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

A CAI and associated TUNE would tend to make the driver get on it more so
I dont think it would help with gas mileage much. And 10% corn squeezings in our fuel does not help gas milage one bit. In fact it hurts it as the amount of work a gallon of gas will do
has been diminished by 10% with the 10% ethanol nthats currently being added.
And it does not help with the price ofcorn derived food products also.
There is only so much corn available at any one time. []
Enjoy the fossile fuel powered Mustang while you can because one day
petrol for it will no longer be available for the common man/woman.Its coming sooner than you might expect.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:24 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

If you drive normally, you will see a 2 to 3 mpg increase. Like kcmarti said, the added performance give you the right footitis thus any gains are mute.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:49 PM
swata
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Xeno

Hmm... when I had my 02 v6, I had a K&N intake and my mileage increased about 2 mpg. Since gas is now $4.00+ I figured anything that could help increase mileage would be good. Also, I should add to my original question (for anyone else who replies)I am mainly looking for city increases, not necessarily highway. Plus, if there are any other fairly inexpensive items that help increase mileage, throw them in the mix too. Thanks for the input so far.
You could always trade her in for an import that get 40MPG ...... No wait i can't believe I just thought that [sm=pcwhack.gif] .... sorry.

The truly best and only way to save gas is not to drive. The next best thing in my opinion is to just floor it to your destination in hopes that getting there quicker will use less gas. YEEHAAA
Old 05-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

Personally, I usually drive fairly sanely, but I do get on it every once in a while I know the harder you drive, the less likely you will gain anything too; I'm just wondering what kind of numbers people have seen. Plus there is no chance in *fill in blank* I would trade my car for an import; it is too much fun doing a drive-by (no weapons involved) or pulling away from someone who thinks there there the best in their little Honda or Mazda. I love the look on their face in my rear view mirror; I would never give that up[/align]
Old 05-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I suggest you use the search feature since the CAI and/or tune issue with respect to fuel mileage has been beaten to death. There's not much you can do to improve fuel mileage beyond maybe 1-3 MPG from what you get now.

Quick Reply: MPG numbers with C&L or Airaid intake