Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Oil in my coolant!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:55 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Oil in my coolant!

I know this is the obvious, but have you put any water wetter or anything else in your coolant? My comments are because I have lifted a head and blown a gasket twice in my car and both times there was also coolant spots in the engine compartment. At first, I thought my coolant overfilled. From what you describe, I just don't think you lifted a head. What I mean by 'minor' is something obvious you're not thinking about. Is this the first time you've really looked at the coolant since you're install? Is your temps running any hotter? Do you have any spots under the car, i.e. is anything leaking at all? If nothing is leaking at all, you can forget about the water pump theory.

You could go the do it yourself route as mentioned in the other post, but why chance it? Could be nothing, could be bad to drive it at all. I would get the heads checked. If you're worried about your plugs, pull them yourself at the shop and ask them just to do the test.

First and foremost, I would drain all the coolant and refill and run the car at an idle for a little bit to see if the stuff is appears. Then at least, you'll know for sure if it was just an isolated incident.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:08 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i don't think there is enough to catch
with a towel, it's more suspended then
floating

i've never flushed the coolant and am wondering if
it's just always been there

i'll take another look when i get home
tomorrow night

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Hey hammeron. How about dipping a blue paper towel in there so i can compare?
Old 05-27-2008, 08:08 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: modaddict

I know this is the obvious, but have you put any water wetter or anything else in your coolant?

There's a whole bottle of redline watter wetter in there. I took a good look at my coolant when Ytix had sent me a pic of his, but I didn't see anything suspicious. I had some water wetter in there after the intial install, but I split a bottle between the intercooler and radiator. The intercooler has prestone anitfreeze/water wetter and of course water, it looks clean as a whistle.

Nothing is leaking and I even looked in the oil fill tube with a flash light to see if I could see any coolant, but I'm not missing any so I didn't really expect to find any. I've been checking the oil with the dipstick every day and it still looks perfect. I think i'll beat on it tomorrow and see if I can make the problem worse.

Any recommendations on what to use to flush the system? I've read shout liquid laundry detergent works good to remove oil.

Coolant temps in the morning run right at 172 anytime i'm doing 45 or up, head temps are always within 1 degree until the coolant temps get close to 200*(idling). Never has the stock temp gauge gone over 1/2 way and 210 is the most i've ever seen my aeroforce gauge read for coolant temps (that was a hot afternoon after sitting the the BK drive thru for 10 minutes.[:'(] My fan comes on at 205-206 and always cools it down to 195 before shutting off.

I monitor head and coolant temps all the time.