Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

HELP: DIY Saleen Supercharger Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 05:06 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

Default HELP: DIY Saleen Supercharger Install

I am preparing to install a Saleen Twin Screw Supercharger with Brenspeed Stage III upgradein the next couple weeks and am getting prepared to do so.

I want to compile a list of references to aid my installation and am hoping for advice from those Saleen (or Whipple, KB) do-it-yourself'ers.

This is also a reference guide for other future DIY-ers.

If you have something to add or if you can just post whether you did install yourself so I can PM or post youfor help during the installation process.

Here are the references I have so far:
Matt Miller's Installation Experience
MMFF Saleen Install
Saleen Install Manual
Bumbleboost Project
Saleen Manifold Video

My main worries are going to surround:
1. The Kenne Bell BAP install
2. Whether or not I can use my fog lights after install
3. The wire splicing
4. The work near the tight spaced firewall

ADVICE EXAMPLE: "when putting the new fuel crossover tube on, make sure the injectors are not installed onto the rails yet. the instructions have you put the injectors on first, but that line is so hard to get on, you will be twisting and pushing. you dont want to damage an injector while doing so."

I can get pretty much most of the tools required in the install manual minus an air ratchet.

Any further info is welcomed!

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2008, 05:38 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP: DIY Saleen Supercharger Install

Whether or not you can use your fog lights?? What do fog lights have to do with anything? Mine work just fine...

Old 05-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

I can get pretty much most of the tools required in the install manual minus an air ratchet.

The only thing I used an air rachet on was the alternator pulley swap.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

KB BAP is easy. all you do is cut your power wire to the FPDM and tie the BAP inbetween. Wire coming from under the seat you tie into the fused wire then the other wire on the BAP ties into theFPDM.

the EGR stuff close to the firewall was a royal PITA when I did my dads gt500 KB upgrade. You can still get it done though! Just dive into it
Old 05-27-2008, 05:48 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

The JDM install web page says the s/c splices into the fog lights rendering the fogs useless.
http://www.modularfords.com/?p=63#more-63
the **** should read "modularfords .com"

Should I buy afuel disconnector tool or is there another way to disconnect and stop fuel spillage from the fuel rail lines?
Old 05-27-2008, 06:25 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

Also, has anyone re-clocked their alternator so that the CAI doesn't rub up against and deteriorate the alternator harnesswiring?

Has anyone installed an oil separator/catch can for less than $100 that is serviceable? How to install?
Old 05-27-2008, 08:05 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

With the new tune & SCT tuner supplied by Brenspeed, I just reflash the PCM using the new Brenspeed tuner/tune after the install is 99% complete. Plug'n'play, right?

I do not need to return the car to its factory tune first do I?
Old 05-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

From the link you posted in reference to the foglights:

"JDM wires it up so that the pump comes on immediately when the key is turned on. Note (2) - The Saleen instructions for the intercooler pump wiring uses the fog lamps ——, which effectively eliminates the fog lamps. The way JDM wires the intercooler allows both the intercooler pump to function, as well as the fog lamps."

I installed mine using the Saleen installation instructions and the intercooler pump wired to the SJB. Maybe those were old instructions?

I also (temporarily) used a Husky air/oil separator from Home Depot. I have since installed a Moroso separator with Earl's stainless steel hose & fittings (which I had on order). The difference is significant. I only used the Husky for less than 100 miles and while it did catch some oil there was a lot of residue inside the hose on the downstream side where oil passed through. The Moroso set-up is much better, especially for FI.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: crazystylin

With the new tune & SCT tuner supplied by Brenspeed, I just reflash the PCM using the new Brenspeed tuner/tune after the install is 99% complete. Plug'n'play, right?

What tune/tuner do you have on it now?

I downloaded the tune Brenspeed emailed me, then installed it without returning to stock.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:21 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black GT

ORIGINAL: crazystylin

What tune/tuner do you have on it now?

I downloaded the tune Brenspeed emailed me, then installed it without returning to stock.
I have a SCT, but will probably purchase Brenspeed's SCT with the upgrade kit because they said they won't give me money off if I already have a tuner (they'll take off $210 if I have my own SCT tuner but will still charge me $185 for their tune = $25 less = forget it, I'll sell my tuner and use their tuner with tune already programmed).

So they'll send me a tuner with the upgrade kit, and I can just plug it in and upload the tune, start the car, and do a test run to make sure there are no leaks, and the car is idling/performing properly, then go out and ROMP!

Quick Reply: HELP: DIY Saleen Supercharger Install