Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

DIY turbo questions,please come inside!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:03 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Default DIY turbo questions,please come inside!!

Im doing a DIY turbo build for my 07.ive done DIY kits before,mostly imports.there are a few differences i have noticed between the two types of cars.

Iplan to do a kit similar to the turbonetics or the Granatelli.

1)i noticed the blow off valves recirculate back into the intake piping?is this nesasary or is it just to keep the noise down?

2)any one have any up close pictures of the sway bar area where the piping runs through?

3)some kits put the MAF before the turbo and some put it after?is there a difference?

current plan is to get a t70 or 60-1,t70 more than likely. get most of the piping and intercooler off ebay with turbonetics wastegate.should be fairly simple once i figure out the routing of the pipes and get some answers to my questions.

any help is appreciated!

Old 06-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: DIY turbo questions,please come inside!!

I don't know the granatelli's haven't seen an install, the turbonetics kit looks to be blow thru and the BOV looks to have a filter on it. The hellion kit is draw thru, so it has to recirculate the BOV because that air was already metered by the MAF and can't be wasted.

I suggest a similar install to the HP Performance one, looks simplier than the turbonetics.

Always do a blow-thru design, where the MAF goes just before the TB. that piece of pipe is very important cause it has to be straight enough so the air is laminated so the MAF sensor could read well with no turbulance. Justn@VMP can help you out on getting a nice piece of straight pipe with the slot sensor hole already done and the width calculated for your rwhp goals.

What are your long term goals?

Do you upgraded internals? this kits can make massive numbers with just 8-9 psi. Further than that forged internals are needed. Also is important to know what do you want so you choose the right turbo for that application, to small and it will boost quick but will saturate quick too and can get very hot and too big, too many lag and you may get turbo surge and kill it.

Good luck with your project.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:30 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

thanx for the reply lito.

i have no plans to build the motor,i want to hit the 450 hp mark and stop with that.i want good streetability and something very reliable.im pretty local to justin,only 1 hour or so away.ive tried looking at all the pictures of the different kits,even took a few pictures at shows to help give me some good ideals.

the turbonectics kit has the MAF in front of the turbo,HP,granatelli has it after the turbo just before the TB,so you think if i place it just before the TB i should be able to use a open blow off valve.the turbonetics has a hose coming off the BOV and goes back into the air filter pipe from what i can see?im digging through lots of pictures on the different set ups.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Some Answers to your questions:

1 -- Im not sure which you were referring to but the Turbonetics kit has a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) and doesn't recirculate. It has nothing to do with the noise at all

2 -- The sway bar area is very cluttered and leaves minimal room for just about anything.

3 -- There is a big difference in putting the MAF before and after the turbo ... your stang will run better if you put it before the Turbo. When its after the Turbo you may surge in first gear (Happen to me and others that have it after the Turbo). Its kinda like you just learned to drive a manual and the stang will put forward a few times.

Hope this helps and good luck with your build ... keep us posted on the work

The Turbonetics kit doesn't have the MAF in front of the Turbo ... its on the last pipe as it goes threw the TB.

J
Old 06-03-2008, 09:35 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Exactly what Caution said!
Old 06-03-2008, 10:04 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

My recommendation is to get an established kit. With your lack of knowledge of turbos making your own setup will be extremely difficult. I recommend you talk to Jim Napier at Turbohorsepower.com. Jim can answer all your questions and will work with you to get what you want as inexpensively as possible.

Earl
Old 06-04-2008, 06:47 AM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

maybe turbonetics changed thier set up around then,i was using the pictures on this website

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/produc...category_id=90

it shows the MAF just in front of the turbo there and you can see a little lower how the bov goes back into the intake just before the turbo as well.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:51 AM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: retfr8flyr

My recommendation is to get an established kit. With your lack of knowledge of turbos making your own setup will be extremely difficult. I recommend you talk to Jim Napier at Turbohorsepower.com. Jim can answer all your questions and will work with you to get what you want as inexpensively as possible.

Earl
i have designed a few kits ,fabricated them and installed them by my self only using information from websites like these and a wideband for tuning until it hits the tuner w/ the dyno.my questions are pertaining to the workings of the maf on the mustang, what works and what dosent.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

If you have the tools, the know how or someone that can help you with piping fabrication I'll say go ahead with it.

Stay with the blow thru setup, the HP Performance people made their kit draw thru first and tuners were having problems tuning it, they redesigned the whole thing to make it blow thru.

As far as I know, the biggest disadvantages of the draw-thru system are, you have to recirculate the BOV because the air was already metered and you just can't blow it and because of that you tend to generate turbulance close to the MAF so you can get crazy readings. Other problem is that in that config what the MAF reads have still to go thru the turbo, get compressed, then thru the intercooler and into the engine generating a time difference between what and when it reads. Also, the integrated IAT of our slotted MAF will read the temperature of the air while it hasn't gone thru the turbo and compressed yet.

The benefits of the blow thru system are that the air read is the actual air going into the engine and there is no lag on the reading and you get the precise IAT readings with it. There shoulnd't be surge problems as long as you fit the BOV between the IC and the MAF, the closest to the IC as possible.

Regarding the sway bar area, HP kits come now with a radiator support similar to the BMR that gives more room for the IC piping.

If stock internals will stay, I see retfr8flyr recommendation very fitting, every single kit on the market will do just that and a 60mm turbo will suffice if that are your goals, and even give you some room for the future in case you want to go even further. If you want to go crazy you could easily upgrade your turbo and downpipe.

Good luck.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Thats what I figured you did -- Their website is outdated ... if you order the kit they'll send you the one they have pictured for the 07.

ORIGINAL: one eyed *****

maybe turbonetics changed thier set up around then,i was using the pictures on this website

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/produc...category_id=90

it shows the MAF just in front of the turbo there and you can see a little lower how the bov goes back into the intake just before the turbo as well.

Quick Reply: DIY turbo questions,please come inside!!