Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which setup should I get....macs or borlas??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 03:27 PM
AlloyGT281

Default Which setup should I get....macs or borlas??

Here's a question for you exhaust guys out here. I'm looking at getting a full exhaust setup and I've narrowed it down to these two. Just looking for some input. The first link is amercan racing lt's with o/r h and stingers. The second link is a full mac setup lt's, o/r prochamber, and mufflers.

BORLA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EfdUAbHsQpM

MAC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUSfLyvN54k

Old 06-05-2008, 04:37 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Which setup should I get....macs or borlas??

I'd take the stinger setup.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:07 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Well they both drone but that being said, MAC anyday of the week!! Nothing's deeper.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:19 PM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

Mac ..Mac.. Mac........did i mention Mac? That setup is the best ive ever heard on the s197! its been my favorite video since it was first posted. listen to an old 5.0 w/ full mac exhaust..its almost dead on the money! no other setup sounds that close to the old school stangs FWIW.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:00 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

That mac setup there sounds the closest I think you'll ever get an S197 to the older mustang sound. That's the thing I envy about the New Edge guys, their sound is so good.

The person holding the camera for the mac video doesn't have a clue. Geez, that's some of the worst camera work I've ever seen! Some people...

I saw the stinger video and it's good, but that mac setup kicked it's *** hard. In fact, that setup sounded so swell, that it makes me want to get the same even though I hate drone.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:44 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I have the Mac axle back and I love the sound. In my vert it isn't too loud for a Sunday drive, but wide open they talk.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:02 PM
danGT06
3rd Gear Member

Can't go wrong with either one..
Old 06-05-2008, 11:44 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

Funny you should ask this, I had MACs for about year, with my LT headers and X-pipe the sound was incredibleand I got tons of compliments( I even had a guy in a vending truck run me down to ask what exhaust I was using !!), very loud and very aggressive,

However I had fitment issues and problems with the band clamps, that being said the MACs are $300 or so, the Borlas were originally like $550 so I got the MACs!!I recently swapped the MACs for Borla Stingers, got a great deal on some, put my MACs on
sale in the classified section on this forum, the sound of the Borlas is very close to the MACs, not quite as loud (especially at idle) but the Borlas have a much more refined sound while still being very deep, I am very pleased with the Borlas especially with my set-up as the "waffling" (catted x-pipe) sound was getting on my last good nerve.

Bottom line if you want the baddest sounding exhaust and don't care about noise level, drone,... get the MACs
If you want a more refined, but still deep sound, get the Borlas, but don't pay more than $400 for them...
Old 06-06-2008, 11:59 AM
BlackStang21
1st Gear Member

[align=left]Go with the Mac setup. That's what I'm going with. Not to mention the pricing difference. You can get the Mac L/T's and O/R prochamber from Brenspeed as a combo set for a little over $900, I believe. Add in the cost of the axlebacks which is around $330 and your only at about $1300 for the whole setup. Where as the ARH L/T's will run you $1200 alone.
[/align]
Old 06-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Brian76
1st Gear Member

Can you get rid of the Drone with either of these two..If not, what set-up sounds good without the drone...

Quick Reply: Which setup should I get....macs or borlas??