Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Went to JDM this week....here's what happened...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Default RE: Went to JDM this week....here's what happened...

I'm pretty sure I read before how someone asked brent at brenspeed about catch cans and I think he just said they aren't necessary.. but i don't think he told the guy not to put it on either.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:36 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Your question should be how did he bend his tensioner with an auto? I've not heard of any auto owners bending tensioners.

ORIGINAL: crazystylin

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

First off, my tensioner was bentsoI got a new tensioner with a thick steelsupport plate installed over there, all good now.
How did you bend your tensioner? At 10PSI? How did you know it was bent?
Old 06-06-2008, 01:39 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Your question should be how did he bend his tensioner with an auto? I've not heard of any auto owners bending tensioners.

ORIGINAL: crazystylin

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

First off, my tensioner was bent so I got a new tensioner with a thick steel support plate installed over there, all good now.
How did you bend your tensioner? At 10PSI? How did you know it was bent?
Oh I have...lol
Old 06-06-2008, 03:09 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

I don't know about the auto vs stick with the tensioners, but there's a local guy with a KB that bent his tensioner. Me? Mine's squeaking, so I'm going to get the thumperrr one. Just gotta find the $350 to send over to get it..
Old 06-06-2008, 03:23 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Jim Jr. is working on an explanation to the breather, seperator, pcv questions. I'll post it here also when he puts it up.

CK
Old 06-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

10psi can definitely bend a tensioner. When I replaced mine, it was about 3 or 4 degrees out. I don't know how the belt managed to hang on as long as it did, but I know I won't be having any trouble with my thump_rrr.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:35 PM
302svt
1st Gear Member

Subscribing
Old 06-06-2008, 05:14 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Well if KB has them then it must be good. I guess. This is a low priority mod at best. I'd say get it if you groundpound the doggshiit out of your ride daily but I wouldn't tear down telephone poles to order one immediately. The research just isn't really there. I'll get one sooner or later. Just remember all OHC modular motors have had this problem and it ain't 3v specific so it won't foul your motor at 250,000 miles but if your are like me you wont ever see 250,000 miles. These catch cans have been around for years and some guys swear about them and others don't so YMMV on this one.

ORIGINAL: modaddict

There is actually a thread on another forum asking JDM to explain their comments and they haven't responded yet. Personally, I don't understand their thinking at all. Hell, the KB kits now come with a catch can set-up...

There is no way any blower is set-up to be lubricated from blow by from the crankcase. If they were talking about a crankcase evacuation set-up like the GM's, I could understand some concerns as you could suffer detrimental problems if you pull too much pressure, but again, this woud have nothing to do with the blower rotors either so I don't know where they are coming up with this thinking...
Old 06-06-2008, 05:57 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Just imo from reading drbobvs post.

Some S/C rotors are coated to aid in less heat transfer, but introduce oil and this would defeat the coating effectiveness some what for less heat transfer.

Coat the intercooler with oil and again some min cooling degrading will occur.

What I found very interesting.
On the Saleen s/c after reading (drbobvs)I would not run an oil separator on a Saleen period. I would want to avoid any chance of gouging the case w/rotorsenough said, reason enough and if the oiling lubricates the rotors and helps the seals of the rotors of the Saleen then another plus. We know the Saleen can put auto cars on stock (LB) blocks in the mid-high 10’s (around 15psi) so power and efficiency is excellent on a Saleen imo. So oil on the IC and rotors is not a problem on the Saleen as far as defeating cooling or efficiency.

Now on the above (oil on the rotors & IC) how much does this effect efficiency (heat) on the Whipple, (imo not muchper ACTs), on the KB (possibly help more per ACTs), I would want an oil separator on a KB for aid in cooling per IC and rotors.

Ok introduce the blowback oil to afr concern imo not a problem on any of the systems.

So in summary imo Saleen no oil separator periodafter readingdrbobvs post, KB I would run one, Whipple optional I don’t think/believe it is that important either way.

Just my thoughts. lol
Old 06-06-2008, 07:45 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Went to JDM this week....here'

I don't know. I for one am VERY CURIOUS to JDM's explanation. On another forum they said they would have it in an hour and that was 6 1/2 hours ago and still no response. There is a lot of technical proficient guys calling BS and waiting for their response.

Personally, I think it is nonsense. To say you don't 'have' to have one is one thing, but to say it will hurt your car is silly IMO. If it comes out the Saleen S/C is designed around the introduction of blow by oil, then I would say the saleen is the WORST s/c in the world but I will bet the farm Saleen will denounce that idea faster than a mexican to home depot.

Quick Reply: Went to JDM this week....here's what happened...