Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What shifter to go with?

Old 06-07-2008, 11:04 PM
BlackStang21
1st Gear Member

Default What shifter to go with?

So a good time of the year is coming around...my birthday. I've been trying to come up with ideas to tell people what to get me. Of course all of my ideas lead straight to things for my car. One idea I have is to get a new shifter. My question is which, as you can tell by the title. I've narrowed it down to the Hurst and the MGW. If I decide to go with the Hurst which Hurst should I go with, the Hurst Pro or the Hurst Pro Billet? What's the difference in the 2? Is the billet really necessary? Any help you guys could give me would really help.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:00 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What shifter to go with?

MGW. There are lierally dozens of posts of people swapping Hurts for MGW. One today, as a matter of fact, in the 05-08 section. No posts, to date, of anyone doing the reverse.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:40 AM
BlackStang21
1st Gear Member

I saw that, but my question is in the case if I decide to go with a Hurst. I have driven a Mustang with the Hurst and I don't mind the notchiness of the shift. I actually kinda like the way it feels. But whats the difference between the 2 Hurst shifters?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:45 PM
partsbill
3rd Gear Member

The Billet Version has adjustable stops, Reduced Throws, and different bushing materials.
Self centering alignment improves 2nd to 3rd up-shift gear changes to reduce the chance of “missed shifts.†the adjustable stops really aren't necessary because the T3650 transmission has shifter stops internally already.
I have the Hurst Pro and very happy with it, no problem with missed shifts and unless your under my car and looking up you wouldn't know that it's not a billet shifter, I would save my money and just go with the pro.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:06 PM
vaporstang
2nd Gear Member

Hey partsbill,

Where did you get the black shifter ****, mines white and the black would look excellentwith my interior! Thanks....
Old 06-08-2008, 02:13 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

Buy the MGW. It's better than the Hurst.

(because I'm politically incorrect)[8D]

Whichever you get, it'll be better than stock.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:32 PM
partsbill
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vaporstang

Hey partsbill,

Where did you get the black shifter ****, mines white and the black would look excellentwith my interior! Thanks....
got it here http://www.jegs.com/i/Hurst/530/163-...745797%7C10521
Old 06-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

MGW, by all means!
Old 06-08-2008, 05:12 PM
vaporstang
2nd Gear Member

[/quote]

got it here http://www.jegs.com/i/Hurst/530/163-...745797%7C10521
[/quote]

Thanks! I'll get one on order.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:04 PM
cadillo

ORIGINAL: exx1976

MGW. There are lierally dozens of posts of people swapping Hurts for MGW. One today, as a matter of fact, in the 05-08 section. No posts, to date, of anyone doing the reverse.
Let's fix that now. I have an MGW that has been installed twice and removed twice. My car once again has the stock shifter, which I will eventually replace with a Hurst.

Each time I installed the MGW, I was plagued with horrible gear whine from the transmission. Putting the OEM shifter back in cured the noise. The second time I installed it, I bought Dynamat in bulk and put a double layer on both top and bottom along with the supplied boot and insulation mats. The tranny whined like a an old Studebaker. Like before, reinstalling the OEM brought things back to normal.

My guess is that the double layered OEM boot provides a very good sound shield that cannot be matched by the combination of Dynamat and MGW boot. In looking at the photos of the Hurst, it looks as if the OEM boot can be used, which if true is a good thing.

Long story short, the MGW, which is a marvel of machining beauty, is once again in its original box until I can swap it for something of some value. Sure did look nice though, with that white Hurst ball and chrome shaft.

When I have some extra cash, I'll get one of the Hursts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What shifter to go with?