Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Motor Mounts

Old 06-08-2008, 11:10 PM
johnpagenola
1st Gear Member

Default Motor Mounts

A friend of mine recently had to have the motor mounts replaced on his wife's S-class Mercedes 4 years after the car was purchased new. Cost of the new motor mounts, including labor: $14,000. The car had to be jacked up, stuff disconnected, and then the engine lowered below the car to remove it.

WTF?

What is a hydraulic motor mount? Is that what we have on our cars? My Haynes manual doesn't go into it.

How much to replace our motor mounts? I ask this because I have read many posts saying to replace the motor mounts to eliminate the grinding on shifts, especially 2-3. At $14,000 this is notgonnahappen.com.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:21 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Motor Mounts

They're not that expensive and only takes a few hours of your time in the garage.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:22 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

14K ? Holy mother of god ....

thats a royal stealership
Old 06-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

I don't know how much a shop would charge, but I doubt anywhere near that much. I replaced mine with Prothane lowering Bullet mounts.

It isn't that difficult, just a little tight getting the old ones out. I ended up grinding off the studs on the stock mounts instead of taking apart the brackets since I was throwing them out anyway. Plus I did it after I had my Saleen SC installed (wanted clearance so the hood liner wouldn't rub.) The Prothanes fit in easily.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:29 PM
johnpagenola
1st Gear Member

Marty, you reminded me: He told me it took 3 days!
Old 06-08-2008, 11:37 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black GT

I don't know how much a shop would charge, but I doubt anywhere near that much. I replaced mine with Prothane lowering Bullet mounts.

It isn't that difficult, just a little tight getting the old ones out. I ended up grinding off the studs on the stock mounts instead of taking apart the brackets since I was throwing them out anyway. Plus I did it after I had my Saleen SC installed (wanted clearance so the hood liner wouldn't rub.) The Prothanes fit in easily.

+1...Took me all of 2 hours. But I already had headers in, so it was a tight fit. Otherwise it can be done a lot quicker.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:19 AM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: johnpagenola

Marty, you reminded me: He told me it took 3 days!
Well, he has a different car so I dunno.

It took me a couple of hours in my garage and I did it with my saleen already installed and basic tools. It's no biggie in the Mustang.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:59 PM
ybnormal
2nd Gear Member

The parts can be 129 to 200 bucks, and a some bolts to take off on each side of the block. steeda makes a good set as well as others.
If she paid 14000 aqnd didnt get a new engine to go with then she got ript.
My wife has a honda van and they have hyd. motor mounts that seem to fail regualarly they wanted 750 to change them. That didnt happen....
Old 06-10-2008, 12:06 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

It's not more than an hour job, so $80 is all i'd expect to pay. I'll change yours for $50.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:22 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

It's not more than an hour job, so $80 is all i'd expect to pay. I'll change yours for $50.
Have you changed yours? If so, has changing them out allowed for more space so that you dont have to cut the underlining to make sure the whipple doesn't rub? I'm thinking about getting these and doing them with the whipple install.

/end thread highjack

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motor Mounts