MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   Which came first, the gas or the tune? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/453759-which-came-first-the-gas-or-the-tune.html)

spyder14 06-14-2008 06:58 PM

Which came first, the gas or the tune?

When getting a CAI and a higher octane tune, should I let my tank get low and fill it up with the higher octane just before I install the CAI and retune it?

cobra443 06-14-2008 07:22 PM

RE: Which came first, the gas or the tune?

You should run at least a tank of the higher octane your are getting a tune for before you upload it.

spyder14 06-14-2008 07:51 PM

Good thing I asked, I wasn't expecting that. TY.
I guess thats good cause I am getting antsy waiting for my stuff in the mail, but I can settle down since I will need to burn through some gas before I can install it anyways.

Diabolical! 06-15-2008 07:51 AM

ORIGINAL: cobra443

You should run at least a tank of the higher octane your are getting a tune for before you upload it.
Excellent advice. I ran two tanks just to be safe.

BoidMorphs 06-15-2008 08:15 AM

I'm not sure what your mods are but if they're not to radical, I'd stick with a tune based on 87 octane. I had a CAI and ARH catted X system on when I dynoed at a hair under 300 RWHP on 87 octane. The tuner told me to come back with 93 octane in the tank so I went through a few tanks and returned. On 93 I got the exact same numbers on the dyno! He told me my car just wouldn't take timing so the 93 tune wasn't really doing anything for me. I'll never waste my money on high test gas unless I go with a power adder. Everyone can argue all they want but our cars run excellent on 87.

Mishri 06-15-2008 07:02 PM

I was wondering what the point of running a tank of the 93 octane through it before changing the tune? what exactly is helped that way? even if you have 1-2 gallons left and had 87 in, then put 91 in.. you have 2 at 87 and 14 at 91.. how much of a difference can it make?

spyder14 06-15-2008 11:47 PM

I figure if it worked for you guys then I'm gonna take your advice and run a tank of premium first.
But just out of curiosity, what exactly does this accomplish? I'm guessing it's about getting the newer gas into the fuel injectors and just the nitty gritty in general. Also, I know that with computers running just about everything on board, so maybe it adapts somewhat to the new gas. But then again I would imagine that retuning is going to override or perhaps refresh any of that data anyways.
Can't hurt though, and I'm gonna be waiting another 7-10 days to get my goodies from bamachips since I ordered the stuff on the weekend. Hopefully the shorter end of that time since the heart of dixie isn't too far from florida. Either way I think I can manage to burn through some gas before then. ;)

exx1976 06-15-2008 11:56 PM

It just runs the old, lower octane gas out of the lines and gets the premium gas all the way through.

I ran two tanks through mine before I loaded my tune.

And yes, with the FI, now the only thing I can run is 93.. Makes road trips challenging, but I manage.

Kaisoboy 06-16-2008 12:31 AM

It will do nothing other than getting the 87 out of the lines that will be flushed through the system anyway. Once you flash the new tune you will have to run the car for at least 100 miles or 120 Km for the fuel trims to be learned and by that time you will have very little of the 87 in there anyway.

cheers

gman73 06-16-2008 11:15 PM

ORIGINAL: BoidMorphs

I'm not sure what your mods are but if they're not to radical, I'd stick with a tune based on 87 octane. I had a CAI and ARH catted X system on when I dynoed at a hair under 300 RWHP on 87 octane. The tuner told me to come back with 93 octane in the tank so I went through a few tanks and returned. On 93 I got the exact same numbers on the dyno! He told me my car just wouldn't take timing so the 93 tune wasn't really doing anything for me. I'll never waste my money on high test gas unless I go with a power adder. Everyone can argue all they want but our cars run excellent on 87.
Was it hotter when you dynoed with the 93 tune? According to Doug there is about a 10-12 RWHP difference between a 87 and 93 tune.